This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Visually Stunning Film

Discussion in 'The Front Room' started by Jonny_Darko, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Jonny_Darko

Jonny_Darko Fledgling Freddie

I've thought this before but upon re-watching last night it really affirmed it. In terms of visuals alone, the most beautiful-looking film I've ever seen is Titan AE.

I love animation generally but it's just something else. It's the most amazingly colourful film I've ever seen and certain scenes such as the water planet with the hydrogen trees, and the ice rings at the end (and their homage to Enter The Dragon's mirrors) are just incredible. Favourite moment (although it's cheesy) has to be the ship bursting through the nebula with the "wake angels" spinning around the front. It's just gorgeous.

Not many seem to have seen it but it's well worth checking out.

2. Gombur Glodson

Gombur Glodson Fledgling Freddie

I think mine is Sleepy Hollow, the setting was just wow.

And then LotR but that has become so cliché :p

3. Lam

Lam Fledgling Freddie

In terms of visuals I would have to say the Final Fantasy movie.

4. Tom

Tom FH is my second home

Bladerunner is difficult to fault in this respect.

5. Gombur Glodson

Just a shame the story was crap :p

In terms of Computeranimated movies I'm gonna have to say Shrek, I just love that one ;)

6. Jonny_Darko

Heh, just read somewhere that Fox Animation Studios was shut down as a direct result of Titan AE being a flop. That sucks.

7. fatbusinessman

fatbusinessman Fledgling Freddie

Agree with both Lam and Gombur - the FF movie and Shrek are both very impressive in terms of visuals, not least because they both have a very distinctive style (Shrek basically coming across as a cartoon that just happens to be CG, and FF generating a very impressive futuristic style).

The Toy Story films also have impressive CG, but don't pull it off with quite as much style as Shrek.

8. Shaeffer

Shaeffer Dear Little Mite

i hate to say it, but in terms of style and visuals, Finding Nemo actually wins it for me. Very colourful

9. Gombur Glodson

Hmm had forgotten all about FN, but yeah it was also quite nicely done.

Also Hero was very nice visually.

10. stormrider

stormrider Fledgling Freddie

11. Nibbler

Nibbler Fledgling Freddie

Spirited Away

12. Jonny_Darko

Not even heard of that but it does look smart - have to check that out cheers.

13. dysfunction

dysfunction FH is my second home FH Subscriber

Lord of the Rings

14. KevinUK

KevinUK Can't get enough of FH

Cant wait for Shrek 2!
    Theres a trailer out - click

The water in Finding Nemo was excellent I thought.

15. Luribomb

Luribomb Fledgling Freddie

I'm with Shaeffer on this one, its Finding Nemo for me :)

16. Bodhi

Bodhi Resident Freddy

Either Final Fantasy or Matrix Revolutions.

17. Gombur Glodson

Whoa Shrek 2 looks really nice :clap:

18. Shaeffer

Shaeffer Dear Little Mite

'The position of annoying talking animal has already been taken'

classic

19. Sar

Sar Part of the furniture

I have it on DVD.

Tis ok, not as good visually as some of the others mentioned here though.

20. Embattle

Embattle Resident Freddy

I enjoyed Titan AE too :(

21. Xtro

Xtro One of Freddy's beloved

Hero is absolutely stunning. I'm not sure its THE most gorgeous film ever but certainly is high up there.

22. Sar

Sar Part of the furniture

Ya, T:AE twas guud.

23. Embattle

Embattle Resident Freddy

The colours used in Finding Nemo are amazing.

24. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy

I tend to like the gothic themed movies, Tim Burtons have a tendancy look great (and odd), Nightmare before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands are two of his best in that regard I think.

Also, Dark City has a lovely image of a 50's noir town stuck in permanent night, long shadows and all that.

Moulin Rouge has a Lovely Garish look, the Green fairy scene still makes me laugh :p

25. SoWat

SoWat Loyal Freddie

Another vote for 'Finding Nemo'.

The DVD, when played in progressive mode, is quite stunning. Animations do tend to look better anyway, but this is a class act.

For a non animated film I'd have to go for any one of Ridley Scott's releases (Blade Runner, Alien, Black Rain, etc). His use of lighting compliments his films really well (and he doesn't just do 'dark and menacing' either :)).

26. Jonny_Darko

He's doing Willy Wonka with Johnny Depp. That will be amazing.

27. Tom

Tom FH is my second home

I'm quite disappointed that most people equate 'visually stunning' with 'special effects' or 'cgi'. You're all forgetting films like Apocalypse Now, or The Godfather, the latter of which is lit so wonderfully. Legends of the Fall is a stunning film to view, as is Dances with Wolves.

I'd rate films like Shrek and Toy Story as being nothing more than technically impressive, besides being very good films generally.

I agree with the comments re. Tim Burton, Sleepy Hollow was a wonderful film to behold.

28. Simon

Simon Fledgling Freddie

matrix reloaded!

far superior to revolutions.

29. Gombur Glodson

Agree with Tom on Apocalypse Now a masterpiece really right from the start with the sound of the choppers and then The End by doors.
    One of the few films I can only see in theatres.

30. Whipped

Whipped Part of the furniture

What Dreams May Come. Not the best film in the world, but the paint effects in Heaven are supurb.