More than 95% of e-mail is 'junk'

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
I was thinking about this, is there a way of blocking email from non-European IP addresses? I don't think I ever receive emails from people I know outside Europe unless I contact them first, and this would be a great way of preventing spam...

Ideas anyone?

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
Just use the rules wizard and move any emails you recieve with a specific word (ie .au or whatever you don't want to get) straight to your trashcan :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The problem with spam is that the email title and address fields change intra-daily. I read somewhere that one particular company sends out 200 million emails a day. Even if ten people spend $10 on their product / services, that $100 pays their ISP / server fees. I guess they work on the principle of "throw enough stones at the window and one of em will break it".

Amildin

Can't get enough of FH
Got back from holiday yesterday, had 50 emails (in 1 week)

I was like, yey someone missed me! 48 were junk emails, 1 was a news letter and 1 was from a friend.

The one from the friend was a chain email thing about needing to pay for hotmail, grumble :(

Kathal

Fledgling Freddie
I guess someone is replying on mails they don’t expect or know who it’s from.
S T U P I D.

snushanen

Fledgling Freddie
Kathal said:
S T U P I D.

yes replying is not wise. If you reply you vertify that your e-mail is active and they will continu to spam.

I once did that when i was young. Got a mail from a dude in afrcia asking for my bank account. i Answered " I am not falling for this stupid junk go and FO** IRL(well cant say the last thing without teasing the FH mods i think )". Anyway that guy probably was a member of a "spammers network" of some kind because as soon as he understood my e-mail was in use. 10 new spam mails came everyday from others who had recived the "news" that my e mail was active.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I don't get junk email on my main private address

Firstly, my address contains a load of random numbers and letters
Secondly, anything I buy on the net I use a spare email address which I don't care if there's junk on it (its a bt one - got 8000 unread messages ! LOL)
Thirdly, I use spam filters on my F-secure internet suite
Fourthly, I never open unsolicited emails

Works for me

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
snushanen said:
yes replying is not wise. If you reply you vertify that your e-mail is active and they will continu to spam.

I once did that when i was young. Got a mail from a dude in afrcia asking for my bank account. i Answered " I am not falling for this stupid junk go and FO** IRL(well cant say the last thing without teasing the FH mods i think )". Anyway that guy probably was a member of a "spammers network" of some kind because as soon as he understood my e-mail was in use. 10 new spam mails came everyday from others who had recived the "news" that my e mail was active.

Hey, Shush m8

I've got this Nigerian oil company with £100,000,000 in the account. Unfortunately the oppressive regime there means I can't get my money at the mo. If you send me £1000, when the oppressive regime ends, I'll wire you £1,000,000. How's that for value for money ? :p

snushanen

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
Hey, Shush m8

I've got this Nigerian oil company with £100,000,000 in the account. Unfortunately the oppressive regime there means I can't get my money at the mo. If you send me £1000, when the oppressive regime ends, I'll wire you £1,000,000. How's that for value for money ? :p

YAY :D I send it right away. nvm Its easier if u just get my creditcard and take as much as u need :) ok? OMG i am gonna be RICH ! :D

Amildin

Can't get enough of FH
Kathal said:
S T U P I D.

Me? No ive never replied to one, just too lazy to identify them all as junk mail to hotmail for them to be back with changed names a week later :twak:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
95% of all daoc players masturbate too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom