more new stuff!!

Serdan

Fledgling Freddie
I love these changes to the guild system. Guild banners are strange idea though. Who would aggree to carry big "kill me" sight in a safe mind? :)

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Funkybunny said:

its actually less new stuff

quote ---
This year Dark Age is moving away from free expansion bundles towards highly focused patches. Not only will they continue to address balance and bugs in their periodic patches, but each one will also have a very tight content focus.
unquote---

That sentence says a lot, no free expansion this year? why, well maybe because of financial constraints due to a 1/3 of the player base leaving. And instead of giving a free expansion this year they are going to patch things they should of done 2 years ago. I am not saying that patching is a bad thing, its just that that they are implying they are doing the players a favour.

:m00:

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
The gfx improvments to structures is a welcome one, and those screenies look very nice. However, i also get a feeling they are still not understanding that most people play daoc for the rvr side of the game, and thus statments such as;

"In terms of class balance, an eternal red button issue among the users, Sanya Thomas provided me with some insights. The focus is currently squarely on the new classes, as common sense will dictate. Catacombs is brand new and obviously, you find more issues in classes that are young as compared to one or two year old classes. Generally, though, the team believes that there is a very good level of balance. They cannot please everyone, but do not believe there are any game breakers".

are a bit worrying, since there is alot of class/style/spell/mlpath/mlabilities/ra imbalances still affecting old classes.

Anyway, its nice to see they keep bringing out new stuff, and mostly good stuff :) Just hope they wont stop adressing old issues.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
scorge said:
That sentence says a lot, no free expansion this year? why, well maybe because of financial constraints due to a 1/3 of the player base leaving. And instead of giving a free expansion this year they are going to patch things they should of done 2 years ago. I am not saying that patching is a bad thing, its just that that they are implying they are doing the players a favour.

I think this year's free expansion was going to be the 'instanced RvR'. But because their 'poll' showed there was more interest in rvr "missions", they'll ignore iRvR for now.

The last couple of patches have been addressing old issues with the game. We'll see more of that throughout the year, making the game easier to play. I guess we'll see downtime speeded up, faster crafting and maybe usefull recipies...

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
free expansion addressing one big issue or lots of patches addressing a few smaller issues (or to a smaller extent)?

e.g. housing compared to upgrading the old world.

All a free expansion is is a fancy name applied to a big patch ;)

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
They cannot please everyone, but do not believe there are any game breakers

Makes you wonder if they are too busy playing WOW themselves and just rubber stamp comments like that.

Leathas

Fledgling Freddie
Serdan said:
I love these changes to the guild system. Guild banners are strange idea though. Who would aggree to carry big "kill me" sight in a safe mind? :)
why did people carry their clan-realm banners at the battlefield in the middle ages?

Serdan

Fledgling Freddie
Leathas said:
why did people carry their clan-realm banners at the battlefield in the middle ages?

In the middle ages assist trains were uknown and collision control was nicely implemented. :) So to get to man with banner was not an easy task and when banner was going down it basically meant that all its defenders were dead already. :)

I see, however, some tactics evolving around this "banner" idea, especially if they indeed will provide significant benefits to group. You can choose what person in your group you want to have attacked first and thus distract a rage of first strike from healers a bit. :) In combination with bodyguard and adding the possibilty to get your banner back in the very same fight killing the enemy player who took it, the idea does not look so bad already, I must admit. :)

Shadoo

Fledgling Freddie
looks very promosing(sp?) but as flim said we might not be getting a massive free add on but it seems that they are adding extra content into each patch, any way i knew there would be doomsayers sooner or later

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
old.Whoodoo said:
Makes you wonder if they are too busy playing WOW themselves and just rubber stamp comments like that.

they've already nerfed warlocks and are fixing the bainshee bugs ;)

game breaker != niggly little thing that bugs you

plus I doubt you could get 10 people in a room to all agree on a list of "OMG OVERPOWERED" things and how to fix them.

Heck you'd be hard pressed with 2 :p

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
they've already nerfed warlocks and are fixing the bainshee bugs ;)

game breaker != niggly little thing that bugs you

plus I doubt you could get 10 people in a room to all agree on a list of "OMG OVERPOWERED" things and how to fix them.

Heck you'd be hard pressed with 2 :p

DAoC m8 - be hard pressed getting 1 person to agree with themselves :)

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
What a load of crap TBH :(

Guild Banners = Capture the Flag in all but name. There are so many bugs and improvements that need making to a lot of 'old' classes, yet Mythic state in that interview that they are happy with the balance?

I'm off to find a brick wall to smash my head against.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Danamyr said:
What a load of crap TBH :(

Guild Banners = Capture the Flag in all but name. There are so many bugs and improvements that need making to a lot of 'old' classes, yet Mythic state in that interview that they are happy with the balance?

I'm off to find a brick wall to smash my head against.
'A good level of balance' doesn't mean they won't consider minor changes and tweaks to older classes, just that there's no glaring and game-breaking issues to address with them. Some things like pet-pathing are a general issue rather than a class specific issue and others are debatable. There are no original or SI classes that are so sickeningly overpowered it makes it pointless fighting against them or that are so in need of help that they are entirely irrelevant. Some classes do need boosting but it's a host of small but broad improvements that's needed rather than emergency surgery.

As Flim noted above as well, what needs fixing? There are hundreds of thousands of peole who play or have played DAoC and I doubt you'd get any five of them to agree on what is overpowered, underpowered or how to adjust it. Mythic devs look at test logs, they read feedback forms and TL reports and try to draw as straight a line as possible between all the conflicting points of view.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Mythic devs look at test logs, they read feedback forms and TL reports and try to draw as straight a line as possible between all the conflicting points of view.

Sometimes i kindof wish the devs actually played the game more though, since some issues you have to have experienced yourself to truely understand what players feel when they have to face them every day.

For instance, i would like to hear what a dev had to say after getting killed in 1.6 to 2.4 sec from a fully toa'd caster, or killed by 3 assisting archers sitting in a tower when exiting the gates of a keep, or beeing continously outdamaged by a certain assassin class when playing a certain other assassin class etc etc (could go on for a while tbh).

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Fana said:
Sometimes i kindof wish the devs actually played the game more though, since some issues you have to have experienced yourself to truely understand what players feel when they have to face them every day.

For instance, i would like to hear what a dev had to say after getting killed in 1.6 to 2.4 sec from a fully toa'd caster, or killed by 3 assisting archers sitting in a tower when exiting the gates of a keep, or beeing continously outdamaged by a certain assassin class when playing a certain other assassin class etc etc (could go on for a while tbh).

they probably swear a lot - at the guy downstairs that's playing one of the archers...

the devs play the game ;) and they also all have opinions.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
Although people will say "amagad but what about rvr" mythic really needed to revamp all the classic zones and in some respects SI.

If you think about newer players will probbly try the 14 day trial instead of going out and buying all 3 expansions + classic in one chunk if thye log in mag mel the game looks quite dated and old.

I think improving the graphics and changing how the classic zones work is important to get newer players into the game instead of comparing say tir na nog to world of warcraft the games just dont look the same.

And tbh i dont really want massive expansions every now and again which only implement new bugs and problems into the game. should be interesting to see what they do.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Agreed - the classic world (and SI to a lesser extend) are DAoC's calling card. It's the first thing new players see, so it had better be damn impressive looking. Prefer them spending time on beautifying the game instead of endlessly tweaking this-and-that class, since that's not gonna make everyone happy anyway.

I don't expect that it's the Devs that are unaware of the problem - it's rarely the technicians, it's usually the managers that are clueless to the things that are important. (You know, like in normal companies!)

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:
If you think about newer players will probbly try the 14 day trial instead of going out and buying all 3 expansions + classic in one chunk if thye log in mag mel the game looks quite dated and old.

An not many ppl around to group with because of /level

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom