More bannings

L0stS0ul

Fledgling Freddie
It's good to see a company actually actively doing something about farmers/cheaters in mmogs

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Nice to see after GOAs "ostrich" appropach to Ebay.

Probably not a fight Blizzard can win, but nice to see them trying anyway ;)

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Do I even need to mention that Blizzard have no *legal* rights in closing accounts people have paid for?!

Then again, those selling the gold etc. on eBay probably haven't informed their local tax authorities about it either, so not really that *eager* to claim their rights ;)

Bone_Idle

Fledgling Freddie
Meduza said:
Do I even need to mention that Blizzard have no *legal* rights in closing accounts people have paid for?!

Thats why we press that little " Agree " button on the CoC screen when we first installed the game and when theres a patch.

If we are breaking Blizzards code of conduct then they have every right to shut down the accounts.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Meduza said:

Then again, those selling the gold etc. on eBay probably haven't informed their local tax authorities about it either, so not really that *eager* to claim their rights ;)

people have paid for the install disks and they are renting accounts, thats about it :p

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Because you agree to something doesn't make it legally binding.

*sigh*

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Meduza said:

*sigh*
It doesn't make data on their servers yours either.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
When playing on Argent Dawn in Mulgore on Saturday evening there were four or five individuals with sexually explicit and racially abusive names using general chat. They were spamming swear words, "STFU's" and lots of unpleasant sexual comments.

I hardly ever report things to GM's of games but it was so bad (possibly the worst I've come across in about ten years of playing online games) that I reported them, listing the names and quoting things they had been saying in chat.

Here's the reply I just received:

---x---

Account: [xxxxxxx]
Date of Ticket: 2005/03/12 23:39:00
Description of problem: Unspecified

Greetings [xxxxx],

We received a ticket from this account requesting help with an in-game issue. Unfortunately, it is not clear from your ticket what the precise problem is. If you can provide us with more details about the precise nature of the problem you are experiencing and submit a new request for help, in-game, we will be pleased to help. Your ticket has now been closed; however, please do not hesitate to contact us, in-game, if you still require assistance.

Please do not reply to this email as you will receive an automated response.

Regards,

English Game Master Team
Blizzard Europe

---x---

Seems to me that we have a whole different quality of staff to those enjoyed by US WoW customers. I will be resubmitting my complaint, but I'm not holding my breath for a result.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Meduza said:

Just because you think this is so and keep saying this is so, doesn't make it so.

The likelihood of you being proved correct is in the event of someone sueing Blizzard for closing their account for the above reasons and that person winning. Then we'll see who has the legal right.

Should Blizzard lose such a legal challenge, I have a hat ready to saute and consume.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Turamber said:
Seems to me that we have a whole different quality of staff to those enjoyed by US WoW customers. I will be resubmitting my complaint, but I'm not holding my breath for a result.
wowgmeu said:
Account:[xxxxxx]
Date of Ticket:2005/02/19 20:30:56
Description of problem:Naming Issue

Greetings [xxxxx],

We are writing to let you know that we have tried to contact you in-game, but have been unable to reach you.

In reply to your question, we will look into the issue and take the appropriate needed steps. thank you for reporting this and we apologize for the inconvience this has caused you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us by sending a request for help, in-game, should you require assistance again.

Regards,

English Game Master Team
Blizzard Europe
Haven't seen them online since; good riddance to bad rubbish.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Meduza said:

A gem from terms of use that all wow players have agreed to

Quote:
Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to change, modify, add to, supplement or delete any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement at any time, including, without limitation, access policies, the availability of any World of Warcraft feature, hours of availability, content, data, software or equipment needed to access World of Warcraft, the amount of, or basis for determining, any fees or charges for World of Warcraft, and institution of new fees or charges for World of Warcraft, effective upon prior notice as follows.

Also....

Quote:
A. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights in and to the Game and all copies thereof (including, but not limited to, any titles, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, character inventories, structural or landscape designs, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, storylines, character likenesses, methods of operation, moral rights, any related documentation, and "applets" incorporated into the Game) are owned or expressly licensed by Blizzard Entertainment.

And to tip the scale...

Quote:
NEITHER BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT, NOR ITS PARENT, SUBSIDIARIES OR AFFILIATES SHALL BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THE GAME INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES. FURTHER, Blizzard Entertainment SHALL NOT BE LIABLE IN ANY WAY FOR THE LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PLAYER CHARACTERS, ACCOUNTS, STATISTICS OR USER PROFILE INFORMATION STORED BY THE GAME AND/OR THE SERVICE. BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT shall NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INTerRUPTIONS OF SERVICE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ISP DISRUPTIONS, SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE FAILURES OR ANY OTHER EVENT WHICH MAY RESULT IN A LOSS OF DATA OR DISRUPTION OF SERVICE. IN NO EVENT WILL BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

In other words...you own jack and sh*t and both of them are owned by Blizzard too :p

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
In other words...you own jack and sh*t and both of them are owned by Blizzard too :p

Reasoned argument was tried in the other thread on this subject OT, it didn't do jack to change Meduza's "opinion" of what blizzard is legally allowed to do.

But thanks for posting that info though, its the first time I bothered to read it in full. :)

Hansemann

Fledgling Freddie
isnt that little robot in badlands saying he will be a real boy someday ?
I think thats from pinicchio(sp?)

and the panther named bhag'thera
isnt that a name from mowgli ?

the goblin teleporter in booty bay named something similar to spock :D

do they own these catch phrases and names (character likenesses) etc ?

mank!

Part of the furniture
not to mention the zeppelin master Hin Denburg, or the tailors in BB being called A Tailor To Cities, etc etc etc. Oh and my favourite, Khan Chaka.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Hansemann said:
The phrase isn't copyrighted.
Bagheera.
Sprok. <Away Team>
Nope, but they don't have to either.

If you want really good caricature, find the NPC named "Linken". (assuming you've played the Legend of Zelda games, in particular the first part of the series)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually they do own anything inside the game. So linken, Hin Denburg, robot in badlands saying he will be a real boy someday, etc....anything ingame is theirs. According to the EULA/TOA/stuff.

So if you kill someone ingame, they b*tch about it, you can always say:

"Hey, it's not you i'm killing, it's blizzard" :p

If the npc names have a legal disbute, they will have to deal with it. It doesn't change the fact that they still own everything, even your character name. Just saying. I'll probably give my soul to blizzard too when i get my computart.

Elenos

Fledgling Freddie
I had a problem with someones name in game. I sent a page to the GM's with the persons name and how i found it offensive.

Account: XXXXXXXXXX
Date of Ticket: 2005/02/20 21:22:55
Description of Problem: Player with an inappropriate name

Greetings XXXXXX,

Thank you for notifying us about this character's name. Rest assured we will look into this matter further and take the necessary action. Please do not hesitate to contact us again, by sending a request for help, in-game, should you require assistance again.

Regards,

English Game Master Team
Blizzard Europe

either you had a real dumb GM or you page was very unspecific.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Hansemann said:

Parody doesn't break copyright.

As for legal rights - it's a private server. You have no legal right to access it, so Blizzard can suspend access at any time.

Jaapi

Fledgling Freddie
Meduza said:
Do I even need to mention that you have no rights to post stupid arguments when your reading comprehension is at an awful level.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Play nice Jaapi, if you have a problem with someone, take it to pm, don't bother posting going offtopic for the sake of personal attacks.

Ta.

FL :)

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I don't wish to cause a flame fest but alot of people don't realise how many rights consumers have and that alot of things you agree to in the "terms of use" when you log in wouldn't stand up in court.

I won't go much further as I know that in the uk these kind of laws are being reviewed as online games that you pay subscriptions for haven't really been avaliable for the mass market before. I also know nothing about laws in the other european countries although I suspect EU countries would be similar.

There are plenty of examples of why the "terrms of use" isn't really legally binding but probably the most obvious is if you consider the point where you have to agree to it. You don't agree to the terms before you buy the game but before you play it. That means you could buy the game install it on your computer input the CD key but then not agree to the "terms of use". However if you then tried to take the game back to get a refund you would have problems. You will notice that microsoft gets around this problem by putting sticky labels on the CD cases which clearly say what you are agreeing to when you break the seal and thus avoid such problems (microsoft don't have problems with subscriptions though...).

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
Meduza said:

*sigh*

You "electronically" sign a contract when you press I Agree button, so I suggest it is legally binding. I don't work in contract law, but suggest that this would be legally binding as far as a court is concerned. Another game I play has started taking cheaters to court :) and getting them banned from the internet completely. If you think you can take on Blizzards legal eagles - be my guest :) - personally I encourage a robust banning policy.

Anastasia

Can't get enough of FH
Who cares wether or not these bannings can be upheld in a court of law? People are paying to play a game by a set of "rules" that we all agree to. If someone breaks the rules, they get a ban, a bit like being sent off in a game of footy. You don't want a red card, don't break the rules.

I agree with Meduza from a "EULA's don't mean sh*t" perspective, but if farmers / ebayers / cheats are getting bans than I say good job to Blizzard. Makes Myhtic / GOA look even more pathetically inadequate.

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Bloodaxe_Springskalle said:
did u ever finnish your "by mail" lawyer school?
Huh? Im an accountant, not lawyer... But still Im quite sure my education degree surpasses urs by some... 10 years? :p

(Ohh, and its "finish" ;) - sry, couldnt help it, hehehe)

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Meduza said:
Huh? Im an accountant, not lawyer... But still Im quite sure my education degree surpasses urs by some... 10 years? :p

So its 10 years out of date then?
Or 10 years lost in the mail?

Believe me, it shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom