mmo vet and struggling

J

jim_01

this game is tough.

sod all lowbies cos of the /levelling thing.

such a struggle to get money. how are u supposed to farm? my gear went gimp and blue and i couldn't afford the yellow stuff. so i went out to farm greys and found out they dont drop nothing cos they are grey. killing greens was going so slooooooooow cos of my gimp gear that i had to go & buy a plat off ebay =/.

so hard to get xp. compared to other mmo's at low lvl it just crawls. run all the way to next zone to kill an ant drone. kill it, run all the way back to get my xp. discover i shodda killed an ant commander. geez.

death comes so swiftly and without mercy. this i kind of like. in AO you could run from deep inside the dungeon with the uber mob on u and run all the way out taking well over a minute and survive-i thought this was dumb.

but in daoc it is so harsh that the first sign of trouble and im hiking it off. it's not like with just that last squeeze of mana we will just pull it through. if it goes tits up someone or all of the group are gonna die.

you just have to take an xp loss too unless some healer does a flyby rezz. of all the mmo's this is the toughest for death penalty.
at low level the xp loss is starting to hurt. it didnt start hurting in EQ till around 40.

death penalty is a good thing imo- gets adrenilne running. theres no penalty in AO (just recently had a patch so xp lost is stored and gets given back over time with new xp earned) and as a result i, and prolly others, got a who-gives-a-shit-if-we-die-cos-i fucked-up-attitude (i played a doctor aswell hehe). but in daoc it is severe.

wheres the economy. all I heard is one or two broadcasts of some toon asking for a wc and getting no responce. most mmos that are old have a tonne of formerly uber stuff going for peanuts cos of lots of supply. am i in the right areas?

all of the above isn't a moan btw. i'm enjoying the challenge and learning more and more about game mechanics.

but it would be nice to know if it gets any easy or what?

so does it get any easier to make money and get gear other than the store bought crap?
turn the tide in a losing battle?
pull out the ace up your sleave to avoid death?
get groups that know wtf they are doing?

i chose a minstrel. im lvl 12 with over 1 day played. lol, prolly someone will say that that is doing good.

regards

A

Aoami

12 in 1 day /played ain't all that bad. My SB i rolled on release day took 2 days /played to get level, prolly because i specced smthing like 6 axe, 6 cs, 4 sword, rest venom, and didn't understand how backstab worked, but nm.

Anyway, just keep at it it becomes a lot easier once you hit 20, up untill then your best bet is kill tasking. (Go up to a named guard (eg. Sir Twat.) and type /s task).

B

Bagloor

The fastest way to lvl 20 is to do kill tasks all the way. It's fast and good exp, and then you are where all the /level peeps are.

K

keela is

Heya mate, don't give up on DAoC yet :)

I don't see why you want to level so fast anyway, take your time, it'll be fun and you'll level at a nice paste.

Play the way you want, personaly after lvl 13 ish I allways stop killtasking.. it takes to long to run around!

Anyway, ask again if u need help.

L

Lorthania

Originally posted by keela is

Play the way you want, personaly after lvl 13 ish I allways stop killtasking.. it takes to long to run around!
Anyway, ask again if u need help.

After lvl 13, do the kill tasks at guard tower in Plains near Campacorentin Forest or in Anniogel. Both of these are very lucrative - some of the kill tasks literally are at an arm's length from the NPC's who give them out...

Lorth

O

old.CrazyMuppet

It's easier when you don't obsess yourself with leveling too much but also explore the world etc.

K

Khalen

When people ask in broad for certain crafters (and some are there available) they will probably PM him/her so you as an outsider won't know if the dude made contact with one or not. Since Shrouded Isles is released a lot of people and crafters hang out in those zones because they are new, better spot for crafters and have some good hunting spots too.

I do agree on the fact that the old parts where usually a lot of new lvlers were hanging around are deserted... I can remember Prydwen Bridge being surrounded by loads of new chars and now it seems like a graveyard. The bad thing about this is that the new players hardly get info or directions on how to do stuff (and yes maybe the start guild is ok for that but nevertheless a real person showing it and seeing what goes wrong helps more then some text like: nooob).

Best thing to do:

- Find a nice guild who accepts members
- Make loads of friends
- Don't be afraid to ask others for advice, money, items politely.

But finding a nice guild would be prime thing. Once you are in one there should be loads of help from them :)

Some tips for lvling:

- Always safe some end for sprinting away from the mob if the fight goes wrong
- Getting crafted gear does miracles
- Tasking till 20 is easy doable with not even the best items (often you only have to kill, greys, greens, blues and if you see a yellow try to find another area where similar mobs hang and maybe find a lower colored one or get a friend to help)

D

darzil

Rather than broadcast for crafters, try doing a /who smith, /who armor, /who tailor etc., to find which are about in the whole realm. Then drop them a note and see if they'll help. Generally private requests for low level crafting are more likely to get replies than those which are just on broadcast.

You should be able to get armour and weapons from crafters that is cheaper and better than from merchants, although it can be tricky to find crafters who'll take time out from their profitable business to help. Some (like me) will try to help !

Darzil Siegecrafter

U

uglymug

sure this game can be tough ... but don't blame the game for things you yerself are to blame for

you say you got a plat of ebay cus you had no money ... why would you need a plat at lvl12? to buy new armour that costs like 20G maybe for a full set?? i didn't have 1 plat on my first char till he was lvl43 or something and he did fine.

thing is that you can get armour ROG and OTD drops from certain mobs and camps. search around on various fansites for info on these. also try questing for armour, money and xp.

you complain that a quest took you to another zone, well thank god for horses .. and yer a minstrel and therefor should have a decent runspeed. the example of killing the wrong mob is a classic mistake ... check yer journal often to not have this problem. much like all other rpg's i've ever played yer journal is of vital importance when doing quests

i would agree with you that the economy in daoc isn't all that well thought out, but the combination of epicdungeon loot, crafting and DF seal farming seems to keep it going. altho you at lvl won't have any idea or insight in to this.

try judging this game when yer a lil higher in lvl

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom