No idea Misty Car...

Poag

m00?
So I got myself a little Corsa to drive to the station with in the mornings. All was well but recently with the cold the inside of the car is taking longer and longer to defog. Till this morning when it failed to de mist entirely over my full journey to the station.

I'm just not sure where the water vapour is coming from. I drive with the AC on pretty much all the time currently to demist the car to start with. But every morning and every afternoon its fogged to buggery. I usually end up sat in the car park for 10 mins with the engine on to get some of the screen clear.

Its a fair problem as I get up at 5am to come to work, i dont really want to get up even earlier to ensure the car is demisted so i can actually see. This morning the ice on the car went within 5 mins, but the mist lasted a full 30 mins with the AC blasting and the heat on max.

I thought of putting some kitty litter in a couple of old socks to try and suck the moisture out of the air, but i just dont get where its coming from. I bought it 2nd hand from a garage 6 months ago, i dont think any of the door seals are going and the interior is dry, as far as i know!

Halp!

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
We've had one of those mornings this morning.

Missus ran out of petrol in the car the other night, called the AA as I was in Paris at the time and she was in the middle of nowhere. AA sent out some 3rd party drone they use who despite being told the car had ran out of petrol went off and pulled up the back seat and started pissing about with the fuel pump etc.

Eventually got some petrol in and filled up, got home fine. Car this moprning absolutely stinks of petrol, fucking idiot mechanic hadnt put the pump seals back on properly and its pissed petrol out ever since so now weve had to dismantle the car again.

grrr :mad:

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Usually its caused by a water leak..check under the carpets for little pools

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
This works for me:
1. Turn engine on
2. Start scraping the external ice off and wipe away any ice on the inside of the glass
3. After 5-10 mins, whack the air con on. Hot. Windscreen-setting. Constant air = OFF. Vents shut. Heated demisters on. Side windows down 2 inches either side.

If you're having problems your air con may need re-gassing. Maybe get the seals double-checked.

Alternatively, park overnight in a garage.

Poag

m00?
This works for me:
1. Turn engine on
2. Start scraping the external ice off and wipe away any ice on the inside of the glass
3. After 5-10 mins, whack the air con on. Hot. Windscreen-setting. Constant air = OFF. Vents shut. Heated demisters on. Side windows down 2 inches either side.

If you're having problems your air con may need re-gassing. Maybe get the seals double-checked.

Alternatively, park overnight in a garage.

I normally put it on.
AC
Windscreen only
Rear window heater
Max Heat

Then leave it to get on with it. Sometimes I put it on cycle air rather than external air, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Why leave the windows open? So you get some airflow out of the car with the humidy air?

Might get the AC regassed, only £30 afterall. Sadly I dont have a garage :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Windows down an inch or two while moving. Combination of increased air-flow & temperature seems to blitz condensation in my vehicle. Give it a go. Nothing to lose. If still no joy, hit the internet forums for your make of car. Definitely worth popping to a garage to see if you have an air leak & get the seals double-checked.

Poag

m00?
Ah...cunning. Will give a go on the way home.

Nate

FH is my second home
Tried bowls of rice ? They should absorb moisture ;o

Poag

m00?
Yeah that deals with it then and there. I'm more interested in the underlying problem, or to get around it by removing enough water from the air for it not to happen. Rather than have to wipe it down each morning.

rynnor

Rockhound
Windows down an inch or two while moving. Combination of increased air-flow & temperature seems to blitz condensation in my vehicle. Give it a go. Nothing to lose. If still no joy, hit the internet forums for your make of car. Definitely worth popping to a garage to see if you have an air leak & get the seals double-checked.

Physics! If you lower the air temperature below the temperature of the windows you dont get condensation.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The water vapour is from you, primarily your breath. Are you certain the car's heating system isn't on recirculate?

Also, check water drains around the windscreen and engine bay for leaves blocking them up.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
well hats off to the AA man.

came this morning, spotted that the fuel pump hadnt been correctly reconnected so sorted that out and stuck some petrol in free of charge. wife went to leave an hour later, can not starting again.

called the AA again, same guy came back 20 minutes later, after a bit of faffing about diagnosed that fuel filter was leaking, so he's now taken the old filter off, popped to the nearest garage to get a replacement (we've given him the money) for it and is going to fit it for us and make sure thats fixed the problem. so its going to cost us a grand total of £7.

top man :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah, don't sit in the car when it's doing it, or have a window open. The warmth and moisture from you and your breath will worsen any fogging.

Nate

FH is my second home
Those little silicon bags you get with electrical products asborb water from the air, right?

Job

Have you got aircon? putting that on will help, actuallly most cars turn it on automatically in demist

Job

Oh and make sure ventilation is set to take new air from outside, recirculate is guaranteed mist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom