Missing file space --- system restore ???

Lynchet

Fledgling Freddie
Running Win XP Pro.

The amount of space used by files I know about + amount of free space does not match the total space of drive partitions. I usually ignore this as I know there are hidden files atec and the way PCs store files -- but I have 2 50GB partitions each of which seem to be missing a whopping 5-6 GB

I do, however, have system restore turned on and Im wondering if it automatically uses its max allowance of space or the PC would cordon off that space and not report it which could account for the missing space or is there something more sinister going on ?

I have up to date AV software and run regular scans etc.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
could well be it mate. also if you've formatted NTFS, and with large partitions like that you'll be smart to, the security databases will take up a fair amount of space as well. still, I'm a unix boffin, not a doze guru. somebody else will prolly tell you exactly where it's at.

Will

/bin/su
NTFS makes a lot of space seem to disappear. 5-6GB is about right. I wouldn't worry about it.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
It'll be the tables as Will, TdC have said, storing all the security info etc. on the files.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
it's actually a giant distributed filesystem where Bill Gates stores his pr0n in uber-encrypted format. ever noticed your computer suddenly acting sluggish? that's when Bill's just fired up the old media player ;)

Teren

One of Freddy's beloved
TdC said:
it's actually a giant distributed filesystem where Bill Gates stores his pr0n in uber-encrypted format. ever noticed your computer suddenly acting sluggish? that's when Bill's just fired up the old media player ;)

:worthy:

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Thats nothing when I first installed Xp Pro and didn't format the HD first I lost 30GB to nothing I had to do a complete low level format and reinstall XP pro to fix it.

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
I've never had any problems with NTFS swallowing large chunks of hard disk. You must all be doing some wierd stuff! :eek7:

Uriel

Fledgling Freddie
The only other thing I've ever come across that it might be and that hasn't already been mentioned is recycle bin related. If you're using Norton AV it sometimes hides stuff as 'protected' and this needs purging for you to get your space back. Also, I've come across situations where the recycle bin will appear empty but examining the 'recycler' folder will reveal space eating files. Again, these need to be deleted for the space to return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom