Midair [FAO: Tribes fans]

eksdee

FH is my second home
I know we used to have a big Tribes: Ascend thread somewhere around these parts but I couldn't find the thing, and with this forum having a legacy when it comes to Tribes going back to the BarrysWorld days I thought some people would be interested in this game.

Basically Midair is Tribes in all but name, as HiRez now own the IP but sadly gutted the franchise with T:A an offshoot of passionate players founded ArcheType studios and begun work on a spiritual successor to Tribes 1 and T2 Classic. They created the game in their spare time, for no money to the point they could and then took to KickStarter. The game successfully reached and ultimately exceeded its funding goal and is on track for release in about 18 months time.

I was one of those backers and as someone who started out at the tender age of 13 in 2001 playing T2, I thought Tribes was done after the T:A shambles. Midair has changed all that. This game is incredible. It brings together all the best things about T1, T2 and even Legions while adding a few new fresh elements. Even at the pre-Alpha stage it is in right now, it's incredibly fun to play and is already a far more enjoyable playing experience than T:A ever was.

I've been uploading demos from pick up games on my YouTube channel and I've made a couple of montages linked below.

They plan to open up continued funding soon which will allow you to buy pre-Alpha/Alpha/Beta access and be a part of building the game. It's a great little community and the devs are putting in ridiculously hard work mostly outside of and around their day jobs to work on the game so for once it feels like contributing really helps out.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Basically Midair is Tribes in all but name, as HiRez now own the IP
Looks cool but can't back it.

I think HiRez will have to sue to enforce their IP rights or lose them outright.

ECA

I am a FH squatter

I think HiRez will have to sue to enforce their IP rights or lose them outright.

What do you think they can sue for here?
Games don't own mechanics.

No assets/models/names etc being used.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What do you think they can sue for here?
Games don't own mechanics.

No assets/models/names etc being used.

It's clearly the exact same game. The models, assets, landscapes, mechanics etc look almost identical.

I think copyright applies to more than just names. If I wrote a book with an identical plot to another book I'd get sued. Just like musicians get sued if their songs are too similar.

I'd be very surprised if the same thing didn't happen in the gaming world with such a blatant rip-off of someone else's IP.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Wha? I just didn't find the Tribes they brought out a few years that fun, it was like playing a game through rose tinted goggles, it just didn't feel like tribes to me.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
When was tribes ever about 64/128 player?
8v8 was standard match size, most pubs were 16 man or 20 man, occasionally 24/32 man, more than that was sometimes fun but definitely not the usual.

eksdee

FH is my second home
I think 32 player servers are planned for pubs yeah, but my experience of Tribes has always been from between 7v7-14v14. Either way, I can certainly agree @BloodOmen that the last game was a very sad excuse for a Tribes game. This is why I'm so hyped about Midair, it's like climbing into a time machine in the best way. I'm home. It's lovely.

I believe there's been some discussion on that, and while I can't claim to be an expert on IP rights I'm pretty sure they would have done their research, fact checking and so on to ensure they were within their rights to do this. Legions never had any problems and that was exactly the same situation as Midair. They're not using any of the Starsiege universe lore which I would imagine to be the major sticking point in terms of what does or doesn't make an IP. It's an FPS with jet packs in the same way that Call of Duty and Counter Strike are FPS' broadly about war in some form. I do see where you're coming from to an extent, but I think it's an unfounded concern for the most part.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think it's an unfounded concern for the most part.
I hope so.

It looks very cool. Will wait until it's in final beta and see what the feedback is before I spunk loads of life on a Tribes game - again... :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I think 32 player servers are planned for pubs yeah, but my experience of Tribes has always been from between 7v7-14v14. Either way, I can certainly agree @BloodOmen that the last game was a very sad excuse for a Tribes game. This is why I'm so hyped about Midair, it's like climbing into a time machine in the best way. I'm home. It's lovely.

I believe there's been some discussion on that, and while I can't claim to be an expert on IP rights I'm pretty sure they would have done their research, fact checking and so on to ensure they were within their rights to do this. Legions never had any problems and that was exactly the same situation as Midair. They're not using any of the Starsiege universe lore which I would imagine to be the major sticking point in terms of what does or doesn't make an IP. It's an FPS with jet packs in the same way that Call of Duty and Counter Strike are FPS' broadly about war in some form. I do see where you're coming from to an extent, but I think it's an unfounded concern for the most part.

Meh I'll have a look when it becomes available to the public, I won't back it though.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
When was tribes ever about 64/128 player?
8v8 was standard match size, most pubs were 16 man or 20 man, occasionally 24/32 man, more than that was sometimes fun but definitely not the usual.

you kidding? it was hilarious with that many people in the game, for me it was at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom