Microsoft Word help

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Hi

Can someone help me with a Word question. Everyone in the office is mega-snowed.

I've got a multi-page document.

One the first page I will manually enter a Reference Number.

On pages 2 onwards, I want the same reference to appear in the Header.

Is there anyway I can auto-populate the Header by just typing in the Reference on page 1 ? I know that if you manually enter the reference in the Header it will auto-populate every Header on every page. I was just wondering if I can put the Reference in the Header without actually going into View / Header and Footer.

Anyone know ?

Thanks

:)

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
you have to manually enter it into the header if you want it on every page

You could use insert -> reference -> footnote if you just wanted it on one.

If you do the first option but dont want it to appear on the first page, the only way i can think of doing this off the top of my head is to draw a solid white box and move it over the bit of the header you dont want on the first page :/

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I know I can do it by writing a macro but not sure how to do that. Something about recording key-strokes ?

Kathal

Fledgling Freddie
Just play with the macro option in Word for about 30 mins and you should be able to make some nice macros.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Your supposed to be able to creat a header for the first page, then a page break and then create a new header on page 2. However i could never get this to work.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
hmm do you mean this?

You can leave the header or footer off the first page or create a unique first page header or footer for the first page in a document or the first page of each section within a document.

If your document is divided into sections, click in a section or select multiple sections you want to change. Click anywhere if your document is not divided into sections.
On the View menu, click Header and Footer.
On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Page Setup .
Click the Layout tab.
Select the Different first page check box, and then click OK.

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
I think he wants to type the reference into the body of the text on Page one and then have it autopopulate the Header from page 2 on.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
elisera said:
I think he wants to type the reference into the body of the text on Page one and then have it autopopulate the Header from page 2 on.

Exactly

At the mo, its no big deal. Stage1: I type my reference manually on the first page. Stage 2: Then I do View / Header and Footer, and manually type in the same reference. Word will then auto-populate the reference in the Header from pages 2 onwards.

What I'm after is a way - if there IS a way - whereby I omit stage 2.

To be honest, it takes me no more than 4 seconds to manually type the reference in twice. I'm just curious to know if there is a way. I'm thinking there is. Microsoft are pretty good on macros n things.

:)

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
i think you would personally have to make a macro that would copy the text you typed and then paste it into the header

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Serbitar said:
i think you would personally have to make a macro that would copy the text you typed and then paste it into the header

Precisely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom