Music Metallica

Marc

FH is my second home
Never been a huge fan of their music, I always thought it kinda sounded "samey". However, OMG@this peformance. One of the best live perfomances I have seen by any band. Todays bands cant hold a candle to perfomances like this. I have seen Razorlight, Arctic Shithouses, The Kooks, Kaiser Chiefs live and I thought they were all terrible.

This is how it is done!

YouTube - Metallica-one woodstock 99

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
See some good bands live rather than mainstream 'indie' shit?

Marc

FH is my second home
See some good bands live rather than mainstream 'indie' shit?

I dont like Mainstream indie shit. I have always made that clear on here. I just went with friends for the night out

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Yeah seen them live and the rocked the almighty socks off my feet.

I think some genres of music really are just a lot better live, and indie music is by the bottom of the pile. My favourite live music is classical though tbh :p and jazz. But metallica and RATM sit firmly atop the best live acts i've seen.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Live music was what made them famous. Personally I think they receive a lot of unneccessary stick from people spouting the same old shit despite not really thinking about what it means.. but it's natural for people to say it towards a big band.

People call them sell-outs...for changing their music album to album doing what they want, despite what fans might think of it. Anyone who complains that they cut their hair has their priorities wrong...who the hell cares if a band has long hair, I mean really? Yet these same people wont label the red hot chili peppers the same way...go figure.

When you look at certain performances such as recording garage inc in 5 days and performing S&M after just 3 days of rehearsals with the band and orchestra together, they're absolutely astounding musicians who I hope will never settle into one rut of music like other bands have done and continue to change until the day they split up. S&M I'd recommend to anybody by the way... the DVD is absolutely phenominal.

I have seen Razorlight, Arctic Shithouses, The Kooks, Kaiser Chiefs live and I thought they were all terrible.

Sadly the popular mainstream has completely evolved over the past few decades. Looking at the brilliant bands of old, they simply wouldn't of come to light if they had of released their music these days as the whole industry is drowned out by appearance and record labels taking safe bets. Pop music has changed just as heavy metal has whereby there are some great bands out there, probably more then capable of topping any one of our favourites lists but for every one of them there are 100 crappy emo and indie bands to take their place and safe sales are where the industry is at the moment.

Long live some of the great performers of old...metallica, pantera, aerosmith, pink floyd, led zepp, GnR... the list goes on.

Marc

FH is my second home
TBH it rages me when people think its cool to label a band sell outs. Why shouldnt they do as the record label pleases as long as their is a little comprimise, after all, they need to make money and they need the record label to promote them etc. Kings of Leon are a fine example. Their early stuff fucking owned, but their new album is a classic case of selling out but so what, if it means they get more money good on them.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
after watching Balls of Fury I was reminded how good iron maden were and took a cd of theirs home on friday \o/

was also good fun whenthe libraries went on strike and i was the only one working so i just lobbed the iron maiden cd on the ps2...listening to the number of the beast in an empty library rules

kirennia

Part of the furniture
after watching Balls of Fury I was reminded how good iron maden were and took a cd of theirs home on friday \o/

was also good fun whenthe libraries went on strike and i was the only one working so i just lobbed the iron maiden cd on the ps2...listening to the number of the beast in an empty library rules

I actually feel a little disappointed in myself forgetting to mention Iron Maiden as one of the better names... especially am I'm wearing a Maiden t-shirt right now, heh.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
mett19523926073ob6.jpg

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
TBH it rages me when people think its cool to label a band sell outs. Why shouldnt they do as the record label pleases as long as their is a little comprimise, after all, they need to make money and they need the record label to promote them etc. Kings of Leon are a fine example. Their early stuff fucking owned, but their new album is a classic case of selling out but so what, if it means they get more money good on them.

Why does it rage you? KoL were a great band, now they're average. I love their first two albums and would love more of the same.

It's not 'cool' to label a band sell-outs, it's just annoying when they do.

Although having said that, I very much doubt it was a conscious decision to make more mainstream music, it just happened like that.

Lucius

Banned
Got bored pretty quickly tbh. I remember in '92 GnR supported Metallica on their tour and GnR were by far better live than them. Nothing beats the old GnR really, those were proper live performances (well, the ones where Axl actually turned up were).

Marc

FH is my second home
Why does it rage you? KoL were a great band, now they're average. I love their first two albums and would love more of the same.

It's not 'cool' to label a band sell-outs, it's just annoying when they do.

Although having said that, I very much doubt it was a conscious decision to make more mainstream music, it just happened like that.

So you agree its annoying but then ask me why does it rage me? Well annoying and rage are the same thing :S

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Nah, i meant it's annoying when band's sell out, not that it annoys me when people say its cool to say a band has sold out.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
If you want to hear the best track's they've ever made - get hold of Metallic: Symphony & Melody (Often better known as Metallica:S&M).

Did all their usual tracks with an orchestra accompanying them. Sounds crap i know, but actually it's great stuff.

Helme

Resident Freddy
If you want to hear the best track's they've ever made - get hold of Metallic: Symphony & Melody (Often better known as Metallica:S&M).

Did all their usual tracks with an orchestra accompanying them. Sounds crap i know, but actually it's great stuff.

It's actually called Symphony & Metallica ;)

And regarding the op, thats far from one of their best live performances, you should look up Cunning Stunts or the 89 vids from Seattle, hell even the 06 in Germany was decent.

examples:
YouTube - Metallica - Master Of Puppets live Seattle 1989
YouTube - Metallica - Fade to black (Cunning Stunts)

also found this, from some 04? Sydney consert - one of the best versions I've heard tbh.
YouTube - Metallica

Otherwise regarding Metallica, I think they are one of the few bands together with Iron Maiden that sound better live, atleast when they are at their best. This probably has something to do with the fact that they play songs faster live but meh.

forgot to mention the epic Monster of Rocks consert in Moscow, playing for a 500k+ audiance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom