Mercenary High End spec

O

old.Hendrick

(decided to put it here instead of albion/prydwen, in hope for more response)

I am at level 44 now and it is time to decide on my final training layout. I have decided not to go shield at all, except the seven skillpoints for engage, so I am free to spend my training on slash, dual wield and parry. I also decided to take both slash and dual wield to a minimum of 44, for the styles. Now I have to make up my mind whether I want to raise one or even both of these skills to 50 or not.

My reason to go to 50 with slash:
Diamond slash style, chains off from amethyst slash, which means I have a two-style, non-positional chain that will come in handy in RvR.

My reason to go to 50 in dual wield:
Dual shadows, used from front of target, but otherwise a very cool style too and being in front of an enemy in RvR should be rather common – or should it not?

Now I am just wondering whether those styles are worth the sacrifice to my defense. I have played around a bit in the character builder and have come up with the following spec-possibilities:

Idea 1
50/50/27
Gives me supreme offensive power, two neat stlyes but not that impressive parry.

Idea 2
50/44/36
Gives me one neat style (I am likely to go for 50 slash and not 50 dual wield) plus acceptable parry.

Idea 3
50/46/34
This is just a little change of above spec, which uses my skillpoints a bit more effectively.

Idea 4
44/44/43
Leaves me with the 44 styles and some very good parry. This high parry will make the 44 dual wield style interesting, which chains off a reflection, and reflection has the prerequisite of "target is parried by anyone". The 44 sapphire slash is nice to, and also usable at anytime, just chaining of an enrage.

At the moment I am likely to go for Idea 3, as it seems the best compromise to me, though Idea 4 is very tempting too. However, I always saw myself as an offensive fighter that kills fast and therefore does not worry too much about his defense. A high level style will allow me to kill faster, at least that's what I am hoping for.

I know it is a general assumption not to take a skill over 44, because you can easily itemize/realm rank your way up. Now, I am a huge fan of crafted weapons (I'm kinda biased there) and will never use a drop unless I am forced to. That means I will not get any skill bonus from weapons and have to get my bonus from bracers and armor. Also, I like the styles at 50. At the moment, the only thing that gives me a skill bonus are my danaoin chain gloves, that increase Dual Wield a bit. If you are commenting on above mentioned specs, I'd also like to hear some pointers to good chain armor for mercenaries (slash bonus, dual wield bonus, parry bonus, NO PIETY, grrr).

So in conclusion, what I want you to do is:
- Comment on above specs (in a mature, non-"that's majorly stupid you suckxor" way).
- Give me a few pointers to armor and items I should look for to increase my skills.

O

old.CrazyMuppet

Well, parry is bugged in RvR for at least a few patches to come, and it will be corrected at about the same time you get respec, so only put rest-points in parry i'd say.

Diamond-slash is very good in rvr, i'm going to get it. But be aware that DS has a very high endurance cost.

Maxing slash would be a good choice, and high DW isn't bad either.

K

Khalen

In DM drops those merc only chain. Very good stats. I would do the 1 template 50/50. What counts in RvR is kill quick. No use to wait for a parry that can or not come...

M

Myshra

as a non stealther youll hardly ever be infront of your target dead straight, as most people go nearest target>stick> style dont they? (well i do with suzanne), if i were you id deffo go with 50 slash, im told the 2 chain on that is really powerful. posiitional styles in rvr seem a bit terrible tbh, i wouldn't really suggest it.

also, to get your parry & DW up, bracers of martial skill give +2 to both dont they from DF in the next patch?

F

Flimgoblin

I'm weird... so I've pretty much decided on:

50 dual wield
40 slash
40 parry
7 shield

Yeah I know parry sucks in RvR :) but I told you I'm weird...

O

old.Hendrick

I can only urge you to go for the 44 slash style. I have only recently started to use this style, but it really is worth it.

O

old.LandShark

1.52 is apparently fixing the rarity of parries in RvR. Though of course, it appears to have nerfed the crap out of quite a few people, but non-crush mercs aren't among those nerfees.

Users who are viewing this thread