merc

Battusai

Fledgling Freddie
whould thrust be a good line for a merc ,i realy like thrust weapons but am a bit concernd about damage output

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Depends on your playstyle, any weapon spec and race can be good, the merc is a solid class whatever you pick, i been slash three times, crush twice and thrust twice, found crush/slash best.But maybe because i am highlander my dex wasn't as high as saracen/brit so after debuffs my weaponskill wasn't too good.

I had 1317 weaponskill as thrust and now 1536 weaponskill as slash unbuffed, slash has best styles, crush best damage aswell as decent stun whereas thrust is good vs debuffs/disease aswell as very good vs mid chain.

You can't go wrong with whatever you choose really.Guess it's just preferance but if you do thrust in my view nothing is better than a saracen due to the insane dex which is very good if someone str/con debuffs you.Briton can also be a good thrust user whereas slash/crush i would go highlander/half ogre with 15 str 10 con or 15 str 10 qui.

Toxx

Fledgling Freddie
actually correct me if im wrong...

but effectively britons and highlanders have the same thrust weapon skill...
they both have effective 60 base stats that raise thrust WS. Thrust being based on 50% str and 50% dex. 60 str + 60 dex divided by 2 = 60 again.

Saracens or HOs are best for thrust. Sara = 65 base stats (50s + 80d / 2 = 65) and HOs = 90 + 40.

Imho just go HO no matter what you pick. If you go thrust you got as high weaponskill as you'll get, and if you decide you want to go crush or slash you will still get the best effective weaponskill as you have 90 str.

Being debuffed does effect your damage output like matt said, but debuffs arnt % based (apart from the new malice debuff), say a dex debuff delves as 50, it'll debuff a chars dex for 50 no matter how much dex they have (well you cant go below your base stat, eg 60 dex +30 from leveling would be 90, so thats the lowest you could have your dex debuffed too).

Oh and iconnus arnt great, only go iconnu if you wanna be cute :x

Battusai

Fledgling Freddie
if you look at it from that point Ho whould be beter as he has more con to start with ,resulting in higher hp.

but i dont like Ho or inconnu,i'v played a troll zerker for 1.2 years and am a bit tired of big tall and ugly ;)

in that respect i'l take Briton,first an for most it fits with my roleplaying and as a trade of to the saracens 5 extra points of ws i get 10 con so it evens out i think.

thc guys ,hope i can find myself some nice weapons :)

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Toxx said:
Oh and iconnus arnt great, only go iconnu if you wanna be cute :x

ahahahahahahahahahahaha :puke:
wub inconnu ;x

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
LOL at HO thrust merc tbh.. HF with str/con debuffed and diseased.

Not like it matters mucho if you go Briton, Saracen or Highlander as a thrust merc. I'm a Briton and got 2002 wskill with buffs and 1387 without.

Toxx

Fledgling Freddie
why would a str/con debuff effect a half ogre more than a saracen?

like i said its not % based, its just a static value.

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
slash/crush > thrust imo...

better artifacts, easier to up your weaponskill by upping 1 stat...str ws still > thrust ws even with disease. slash / crush has better styles.

and you can pick a start race thats gives you higher weaponskill to begin with. also slash is better on the damage table - no difference vs casters (except hitting harder and hitting more easily due to higher weaponskill), good vs druids/wardens/heroes, good vs savages/zerkers.

but of course, if you don't care about small differences then go with what you want to be:]

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Half ogre can get INSANE strength in frontiers....you would cap on anything nearly lol.(if you start with 15 str, you would have 225 base str at 50, then get toa overcap=250, then if you add aug str 3 you got 272 unbuffed in frontiers :eek6: )

Have fun whatever you choose though.

Lel

Fledgling Freddie
Im a saracen thrust merc, damage output is nice. Remember that if you go for a saracen you are pretty much stuck with thrust tho, u wont be as good with other weapons. You will do very good damage vs healers etc (chain wearing enemies) and have to accept a bit less damage on other classes than for example a HO slash merc. A saracen thrust merc sure rips those mid healers apart tho, and 2 thrust merc´s assisting on a chain wearer= never seen a healer/shammy die faster ;)

Overall damage maybe better if you go slash, both for rvr and pve, but when going for support classes thrust mercs are really good.

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
Toxx said:
why would a str/con debuff effect a half ogre more than a saracen?

like i said its not % based, its just a static value.

Yeah true, but don't get it anyway why would anybody wanna make HO thrust merc since Saracen get same ws and 20 more quick which means faster attack spd and overtime damage more.

Battusai

Fledgling Freddie
i particulary like thrust becouse i think they just make the coolest weapons and weaponstylegrafix (look i discoverd a new word :D ).

i have heard about 4.1 and even 4.4 mainhand thrusters dropping from the shades of mist encounter.
so if i stick to dw styles and only use puncture for the anytime bleed i think i should do fine in terms of damage.

ofc the fact that i'm limited to 3.9 unthil i can get these sucks like a vacume cleaner.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Battusai said:
i particulary like thrust becouse i think they just make the coolest weapons and weaponstylegrafix (look i discoverd a new word :D ).

i have heard about 4.1 and even 4.4 mainhand thrusters dropping from the shades of mist encounter.
so if i stick to dw styles and only use puncture for the anytime bleed i think i should do fine in terms of damage.

ofc the fact that i'm limited to 3.9 unthil i can get these sucks like a vacume cleaner.

Puncture sucks do not use it, sting is the best anytime to use but you will want to use positionals as much as possible since sting isn't that great(like all anytimes though i guess).Also 4.4 harpoons got nerfed, we didn't get the patch when they dropped :/ (they are now 4.1)

Probably at lv50= sting/dual shadows/pierce/flank/shadow's rain on rvr quickbar, will not use sting much though once you get used to the positionals.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Not sure what the others think about this but if i was lvl'ing my merc up again i would do the following

a) But points in Weapon and Parry to lvl 27 .. Then Weapon and and DW from then on
b) Spec crush (regardless of race)

The way the game is @ the moment you gonna spend alot of time haveing to solo (atleast to 40) so specing parry to lvl 27 will give you a good defence which should cut down on the amount of time sitting on your backside regen'ing health. Also to some extent you can tank, you may be required to do this since not all groups will have 2x shield tanks, the more you parry the less the healers have to worry about keeping you alive.

Secondly the low lvl DW styles blow Arse .. the anytime sucks and the reactionary is off evade with evade 1 ,thats not gonna happen alot.

Thirdly spec crush because crush has the best low lvl styles, 6 sec stun chained off an anytime and a reactionary off parry, with reactionarys generaly useing less end that means more styles = more damage.

Lastly Specing crush means you auto train slash and trust so if you decide you want to respec you got a few free points to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom