Memory question

B

Big G

All,

Overclockers.co.uk are selling the Barton 3200+ for ~£180 inc vat for one week only, and I quite fancied taking up the offer. The cpu has a 400 FSB (200 MHz DDR) and I want to get the right/decent memory to go with it (not cheap guff but not stupidly priced OCZ stuff).

Would a single stick of TwinMOS 512Mb PC3200 suffice for this processor? Is there recommended memory to go with a Barton 3200+?

My motherboard would need upgrading also, for this I was thinking about the Asus A7N8X-X nForce2 (don't give a toss about firewire or SATA) - TwinMOS ok for this?

Any advice/suggestions welcome from those with the above specs or similar experience.

G

B

Big G

fuck, someone move this to the hardware forum please; forgot i was in the general forum :doh:

IT'S BEEN A SHIT DAY OK FS :moon:

W

Will

PC3200 is the 400MHz DDR version, which would suit you nicely. However, the nForce2 board you are looking at works better with two sticks of RAM running in a dual channel configuration.

Unfortunately that means you have to decide if you want 2x512MB or 2x256MB sticks if you want top speed.

M

ManDevil

I'd go for 2x512mb, TwinMOS memory is pretty cheap anyway - should cost you about £115.

If it adds up to too much you could probably save on the CPU, most 2500+ will overclock to 3200+ speeds, just by raising the FSB to 200. A 2500+ Barton, would cost about £65.

Abit NF7-S V2.0 is recommended by alot of people, especialy for overclocking and would cost £70.

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by ManDevil
If it adds up to too much you could probably save on the CPU, most 2500+ will overclock to 3200+ speeds, just by raising the FSB to 200. A 2500+ Barton, would cost about £65.

Abit NF7-S V2.0 is recommended by alot of people, especialy for overclocking and would cost £70.

You play CS?

M

ManDevil

nah, not for ages, enemy territory mostly.

Just bought that stuff I recommended (+ a 9800SE graphics card) - so should be able to play some newer games now :D

Been using an 800mhz Athlon till now :(

B

Big G

Originally posted by Will
PC3200 is the 400MHz DDR version, which would suit you nicely. However, the nForce2 board you are looking at works better with two sticks of RAM running in a dual channel configuration.

Unfortunately that means you have to decide if you want 2x512MB or 2x256MB sticks if you want top speed.

I presume that 2 x 256Mb sticks in dual channel mode is still a total of 512 Mb? Or does it work as a super fast 256 Mb stick?

G

W

Will

It works as a faster 512MB than one 512MB stick would.

Users who are viewing this thread