Film Melancholia

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
So I've just sat through two hours of this:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzD0U841LRM

A very intriguing trailer, so me and the missus gave this a watch.

What a load of pretentious, unrealistic, disjointed bollocks. It's far too arty for it's own good to the point that it's just a fucking stupid and impossible concept, not to mention at least half of the film has absolutely no relevance to the second half of the film (it's split into two discrete parts).

Jesus-suffering-Joseph, I feel like recommending it just to share the pain!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I have *just* finished watching it and I thought it was an excellent study of mental illness :)

old.user4556

I'm mentally ill from watching it.

I also disagree, it was a woefully contrived and massively stereotyped botch of mental illness.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Couldn't disagree more strongly m8. Her behaviour in much of the film was very familiar to me.

It's not rational, reasonable or pleasant. She's proper broken. But that's the point.

At the end she was the strong one - because that's the sort of mental horror she lived every day. So, she was able to do what was needed for the kid and her sister when the horror of it had reduced her sister to mental mush

Personally, I can see why it won awards - and it was much much much better than Terrence Malik's over-hyped Tree of Life.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
It recently won the top prize at the European Film Awards.. Can't be all that bad, but I haven't seen it yet so can't tell tbf

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
von Trier is a dividing director. You either like his films or don't. It's also very possible to like one of his films and hate others.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
It's also very possible to like one of his films and hate others.

<sits in deep thought a moment>

Nope. Still meaningless :D

But yeh, von Tier is dividing ze critics, if only to make the pseudo-intellectuals have to explain themselves. Its like trolling really pretentious people. He's a bit of a twat though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
von Tier is dividing ze critics, if only to make the pseudo-intellectuals have to explain themselves. Its like trolling really pretentious people. He's a bit of a twat though.

Maybe it's not "pseudo-intellectals" or "pretentious people" that are the problem. Maybe you just didn't get it - like my missus - and therefore decide it's a failing of the film rather than of yourself :p

old.user4556

Oh give over Scouse :), I don't like my intelligence insulted with that standard trump card backup to a genuinely ropey film.

"It's clear that it was beyond you and you didn't get it"

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I think Kirsten Dunce does get her tits out, yes
That would be a problem for me.
Kirsten Dunst will always be Claudia from "Interview With The Vampire" in my eyes. Her getting her norgs out on camera would just be wrong because she's still that little kid to me. :)

I've seen enough reviews to know that I won't be watching this one, even on Sky Movies when it comes out.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
I kinda agree about with you but the whole kid thing vanished for me with her massive nipples in Spiderman!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh give over Scouse :), I don't like my intelligence insulted with that standard trump card backup to a genuinely ropey film

I'm not a fan of being called pretentious simply because I think it was a very accurate and not disjointed film myself. But I'm happy to just agree to disagree over it :)

Well f*ck, thought it was something sci-fi related from the trailer.

Nah - the Sci-Fi is a (very pretty) macguffin to move the plot along. It's not sci-fi at all.

I still stand by it being a good demonstration of mental illness. I lived for a long time with a girl with emotional problems of a similar but slightly softer nature and the accuracy in the writing and portrayal brought all sorts of shit that I'm now long shot of flooding back.

Fun film that's going to entertain you though? No way...

*Edit: I thought Dunst was fantastic nekkid. Genuinely spoogetastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom