Matt Firor leaves Mythic

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
VN of course immediately went into tinfoil-hat conspiracy theory doom mode...here's Sanya's response from there:

"Here's my obligatory post to say that this has actually been coming for a long time. He has been my boss for five years. He has been on my private, and very short, list of genuinely good and decent people for even longer than that. His commute was ridiculous, and his family obligations have also increased lately. The timing makes sense if you realize that it would be unethical for him to participate in the long term EA/Mythic planning if he was not going to be here for the long term. So this move happened now instead of in six months.

The team most affected by this was mine. His management and support have allowed me to function independently, to create a team that doesn't have to kowtow to external forces, and to always give the feedback to the devs straight up. I have more freedom, intellectually and otherwise, than any of my counterparts do. The phrase "better luck than management" did not apply.

His other responsibilities here at Mythic weren't related to the development of WAR, and only lightly related to Camelot, unless you count managing me as development. The stuff he had been doing lately was all unannounced stuff. And if I could tell you what it was, then it wouldn't be unannounced

But he was the first producer of Camelot, so his fingerprints are still everywhere in the game.

There's the whole story, FWIW."

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Where's all the Mythic won't be ruined by this acquisition and the Dev team is always the same etc etc fanboys now? xD

Castus

Can't get enough of FH
Make a popular saying from the following words:

sinking

rats

a

ship

leaving

:england:

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Its not necessarily a "Sinking Ship".

But its always a shame that a name behind a game you play leaves, you can't help but wonder if there is another underlying problem.

Though I would have to say changing producers on a game, is always useful, since it does allow a different view point. As I think has happened with the new guy (Don't know his name, so henceforth know as "new guy"), who has really got them focusing on some real issues. Classes, crafting etc, which I think we all feel need work.

B

Biggilus

didnt UO change producers, and from a medeival dark ages setting suddenly ninjas and samurais appeared? lol
and didnt PS change producers, and then Big Fookin Robots appeared? not quite as bad as the whole ninjas-appealing-to-twelve-year-old thing though.
guess we can start replacing oil cauldrons with Big Laser Death Ray 3000's

and ive just woken up and tlaking out of my arse most likely

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Here we go then, Pete mentioned transport, Gran Tourismo stylie it is then, with a GTA for all level 50s. EA, its in every other game so why not.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
SkarIronfist said:
But its always a shame that a name behind a game you play leaves, you can't help but wonder if there is another underlying problem.

What, other than the commute of doom? I driver farther than he does to work every morning, I know EXACTLY what it's like.

Timing is everything - and I really don't think the timing for this is anything more than a Mythic founder help complete a buyout and then walking away. Call me old fashioned, but I like to think before jumping on the OMFGdhoooooooooooooomONOZ train...

Zede

Part of the furniture
UO went tits up when Richard Garriott left :(

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
so this is the start exodous - and mythic respond by putting out these iraq-information-minister type of posts....

be interesting to see if hes replaced by a EA blokie

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Gahn said:
Where's all the Mythic won't be ruined by this acquisition and the Dev team is always the same etc etc fanboys now? xD

Probably just getting on with it and not reading things into a decision by a guy to stop an insane commute ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Biggilus said:
didnt UO change producers, and from a medeival dark ages setting suddenly ninjas and samurais appeared? lol
and didnt PS change producers, and then Big Fookin Robots appeared? not quite as bad as the whole ninjas-appealing-to-twelve-year-old thing though.

concidering how awfully overpowered those BFR's were when they came and the ammount of ppl laming around in them i'd say it was almost worse then ninjas ;)

try do anything with ~100 BFR's defending a base :)

not as bad now tho after the multi nerfs they got.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Breni said:
OMFGdhoooooooooooooomONOZ

i want that train!! imagine walking at a railway and a loud OMFGdhoooooooooooooomONOZ swooshing by! :)

sorry, i'm just bored :(

grizzy

Loyal Freddie
''Since marrying he was commuting on a daily basis from Hunt Valley, MD to Fairfax, VA. There’s only so much of that a wife will put up with.''

Read it thru plz untill u judge this

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Breni said:
What, other than the commute of doom? I driver farther than he does to work every morning, I know EXACTLY what it's like.

I am not not without sympathy on this, since my journey to and from work involves the M25 - 10 to 17. Which I believe is some of the busiest motorway in Europe. So distance is not a factor ... time is... .

I would also have been tempted to cash in myself.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
grizzy said:
''Since marrying he was commuting on a daily basis from Hunt Valley, MD to Fairfax, VA. There’s only so much of that a wife will put up with.''

Read it thru plz untill u judge this

Could have come up with millions of excuses.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
that's a distance of 75.9 miles and travelling over both the Baltimore and Washington DC ring... gotta be a hell in high traffic.

route

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
someone _has_ to post

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

in this thread surely :)

Belgerath

One of Freddy's beloved
Flimgoblin said:
someone _has_ to post

Ok then

:)

Asq

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
You really did miss an "o" there somewhere... lemme fix 'at.

Dooooooooooooom

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
"I know the Internet TRUTH BRIGADES are immediately streaming toward the Batforums with the tolling of doom for Mythic, but, like me, his move was more about location than anything else. Since marrying he was commuting on a daily basis from Hunt Valley, MD to Fairfax, VA. There’s only so much of that a wife will put up with"

CstasY

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
someone _has_ to post

Getting so old now, find some new material.

Adficio

Fledgling Freddie
I did see this coming when hearing EA was taking there hands in Mythics.

For Svart post about Sayna post " I realy not belive a shit what she write"

I seen EA's business before both in game and on family basis

any one knows Westwoods any more ? They died after EA was taking over them.

O they did have the same bright future talk as all others who been EA infested

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Asq said:
You really did miss an "o" there somewhere... lemme fix 'at.

Dooooooooooooom

cheers :) think it was the forum software breaking up overly long words to stop it screwing up the formatting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom