MAtrix, WoW, DAoC, SW:G....GODS!! What to play?!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm in a pickle. And not in a pleasant saltwatery kind. I'm getting back into the MMO scene next tuesday, as i get my homenet online.

Now the problem is, i can't play all the games out there. So, any comments, opinions, hates, likes are appreciated as i struggle to find out...who is the next MMO?

In other words...what to play?

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
WoW :p
although i have so much detest for the people who play i love teh game in itself.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Without going into a full-on rant on each game....

WoW is ok, but its just the usual fantasy mmog with different nobs, fluff and a pretty crappy community.

DAoC is old and tired now.

SWG after the expansions is a pretty decent game, but fatally flawed by the idiotic Jedi stunt SoE pulled.

Ryzom is kinda funky, but not very popular. You can go ages and not even see another player.

CoH is fun, but not much longevity for a mmorpg gamer.

EvE is unique and quite beautiful, but takes a long time to get anywhere.

There are a few upcoming games such as D&L and D&D, but nothing that really set's the heart pounding and screams out at ya "I MUST BUY THAT GAME!!1!"

Generally speaking the mmorpg market is saturated with average games, most of which are clones of the others. The few unique games dont get the player numbers that the big companies get. Following WoW and Matrix, there are a LOT of "name" rip-offs on the way such as DDO, Warhammer Online and LOTR Online. Most of these look like cheap cash-in's, but time will tell.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
Of the recent MMORPGs WoW and CoH are the best of the crop. Or GW for something slightly different. The older ones are starting to show their age now.

Of the upcoming MMO's the most promising ones are CoV (standalone CoH expansion) and DDO. Heared a lot of positive buzz about those two.

And AO classic nowadays is free, if you want to play a nice MMO without paying any money :D (expansions still cost money though)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
If you want to spend months questing and farming for your character, WoW.
If you want to spend weeks questing and farming for your character, GW.

GW has some of the best team PvE going, the PvP is good too in a decent group!

How will CoV work, is it in the same 'world' as CoH for open PvP?
Can you throw around cars and beat up civilians(freedom force style!)

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
GW has some of the best team PvE going, the PvP is good too in a decent group!

I agree, GW is great, however the comunity is whats stopping me from playing it.
I wish they would add a subscription fee to it to get rid of all the kids.

Abel

Fledgling Freddie
How will CoV work, is it in the same 'world' as CoH for open PvP?

CoV will add an "villain" city, which has dark, gothic overtones. Should feel a bit like Gotham City. Villain classes (archetypes) will be the polar opposite of the hero classes.
Villain SGs will be able to build lairs where they'll stock their ill-gotten gains, but those can be raided by heroes and other villains.

How this exactly will interact with the hero city is a bit unclear for me, though it will be consensual PvP in any case (not open). AFAIK hero SGs can build their own bases too, that can be attacked by villains.

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Kokelimonkelmedisin said:
I agree, GW is great, however the comunity is whats stopping me from playing it.
I wish they would add a subscription fee to it to get rid of all the kids.

Heh you WANT to pay? Now thats new I give you that.

Turn off /local in the game and its all fine if you have a good guild that is.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Nedo said:
Heh you WANT to pay? Now thats new I give you that.

Turn off /local in the game and its all fine if you have a good guild that is.

GW aim to release 3-4 expansions per year, to stay competitive you will need to buy them. The price will work out roughly the same as a monthly subscription to most other games.

GW isn't free, big misconception.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The main difference between buying expansions and paying fees is this:

You pay for ACTUAL content.

You don't need to pay. Ofcourse you might not be competetive, but it's not a must.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Tallen said:
GW aim to release 3-4 expansions per year, to stay competitive you will need to buy them. The price will work out roughly the same as a monthly subscription to most other games.

Besides the speculation, the only official statement I've heard on expansion frequency was "a couple a year".

If they can stick to 2 expansion a year, that's quite reasonable.
So long as the annual cost of expanions doesn't exceed £60, I can live with it. Even better if they introudce new missions, with the quality of the current ones! You cannot expect content like that for free ;)

P.S. WoW has a subscription and I felt the prescence of noobs there alot more that I do in GW. Sure, GW has its fair share of noobs, but I've met more decent players here than I did in WoW.

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Tallen said:

Heh, where exactly do you get that info. Speculations on g-hall forum/chat or gwguru or actual numbers from a A.net employee? I seen the 3-4 a year numbers but never any info on how much for them.....

I never wrote it was free, I asked him if he WANTS to pay...big misconception.

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Some one line comments on the mmorpgs I've played:

E&B
*sniff* no longer exists. It *wasn't* a bad game though.

UO
Ah bless. I did return to it every 6 months but well, it's a little dated (don't mob me for saying that).

DAoC
Still going with the hardcore, odd new player joining. Pryd and Excal are to be merged which can only help things. Still though, no real future that I can see.

WoW
Still going strong, usually second in the charts (behind Guild Wars). Fun but ultimately it's the same as the other mmoprgs there. Grindy Grindy :)

SWG
Very enjoyable, some great touches. Unfortunately the servers were largely abandoned a while ago leaving only the jedi. Players (apparently) returning and I'll admit, I've been tempted.

EQ2
Very atmospheric, very pretty, suspect the player-base is older than WoW. I was playing this in CB the sametime as WoW and played a bit of release EQ2. A love or hate mmorpg :)

EVE
Very mixed feelings. Enjoyed it back in the beta. Played it again for a few months late last year and it's still fun. Wonderful community. Just slow and lonely (space is big in that way).

CoH
Like candy. It's great but you can't live on it (quoting someone from FH). CoV soon to be added (and lots of PvP) could breathe a huge amount of life back into the game. Suspect I'll retry when it's out.

Guild Wars
Not a mmorpg. Many similarities (as I've said elsewhere) to an FPS. Instant action if you want it, small/pleasant grind if you want it. Completely aimed at PvP. No subscription.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Nedo said:
Heh, where exactly do you get that info. Speculations on g-hall forum/chat or gwguru or actual numbers from a A.net employee? I seen the 3-4 a year numbers but never any info on how much for them.....

I never wrote it was free, I asked him if he WANTS to pay...big misconception.

Probably shouldn't have quoted you, the post had nothing really to do with what you said, other than on the topic of GW to say that GW will have hidden costs.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
The main difference between buying expansions and paying fees is this:

You pay for ACTUAL content.

You don't need to pay. Ofcourse you might not be competetive, but it's not a must.

Depends on the type of expansion they release, if they radically change the face of the game as the DAoC expansions did, then you don't NEED to buy them, but i doubt there is a single DAoC player who only has the Classic version and not SI, ToA and most also have Catacombs....so it's a mute point really. Same deal for SWG.

If, however the expansions are like those introduced by Planetside (so far), then you can play without them quite easily and be just as competitive as those who have the expansion (PS has a monthly sub though...).

As GW has no sub fee, im guessing that to fund the game, the expansions will introduce significant changes and improvments that mean without them you will be at a serious disadvantage.

You don't often get something for nothing in this life, which is the premise for my previous post.

Hopefully im wrong, but time will tell.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Play MxO if...

You want to get away from waving a wooden sword about in someones general direction and fancy kicking someone in the dangley bits for a change ;)

You want to take part in live events that you actually have to think about to succeed in.

You dont mind a few bugs and lag here and there :twak:

More info available here

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Tallen said:
You don't often get something for nothing in this life, which is the premise for my previous post.

The developers themselves have discussed and answered this; I'm not sure speculation is required. There will be expansions at the rate you say. Will these result in you being left-out if you don't buy them? No.

They will open more skills but that does not mean that will "gimp" you. I'm sure you realise you can only take 8 into a battle and the 8 that one person takes is certainly not the same 8 as someone else would take. There is no best skill, there is no best spec.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Looking around for something new myself. WoW is great till you get to 60 but then it becomes the same old, same old: grind instances day in and day out for loot. Battlegrounds may redeem it yet, but it could seriously do with some level 60 content that keeps the spirit of the game you play to get to 60. EQ clone at level 60, bleh :(

CoH is okay in small doses, anymore than that the repetitive nature of the zones, mission maps and quests gets to me. The grind is pretty nasty in the game too; this is the only MMOG I've played for an extended period that I've not hit maximum level with at least one character.

Guild Wars was okay for a week. Might go back and play it but feel no compulsion to at all.

Couldn't recommend EQ2 at all, I despised that game with a vengeance.

May well go back to Planetside for a month, although that gets a bit repetitive too.

Maybe I'm just growing out of MMOG's, they require far too much time to get anywhere in and are pretty stale.

SiD

Fledgling Freddie
Turamber said:
Looking around for something new myself. WoW is great till you get to 60 but then it becomes the same old, same old: grind instances day in and day out for loot. Battlegrounds may redeem it yet, but it could seriously do with some level 60 content that keeps the spirit of the game you play to get to 60. EQ clone at level 60, bleh :(

CoH is okay in small doses, anymore than that the repetitive nature of the zones, mission maps and quests gets to me. The grind is pretty nasty in the game too; this is the only MMOG I've played for an extended period that I've not hit maximum level with at least one character.

Guild Wars was okay for a week. Might go back and play it but feel no compulsion to at all.

Couldn't recommend EQ2 at all, I despised that game with a vengeance.

May well go back to Planetside for a month, although that gets a bit repetitive too.

Maybe I'm just growing out of MMOG's, they require far too much time to get anywhere in and are pretty stale.

I completely agree, I was lvl 60 in eq, 50 in eq2 60 in wow maxed in SWG 50 in daoc, 20 in GW ... all boring as hell now.

WoW = grind
EQ2 = massive massive time sink (yes I had prismatic scepter :p)
GW = Good if your guild is good and get to play alot, which i dont and dont = useless. Good job you don't have to pay monthly or there would be about 200 customers.
SWG = painfull to play nowadays, inflation and min/maxers killed it along with some stupid desicions from SoE suprise suprise
DAOC = left after ToA'rse came out, if you didn't play in the first couple years you have zero chance now to even compete... again min/maxers 20 hour campers = death of the pvp.
WoW = Good fun in the battlegrounds, but why pay per month for it ... ill go play battlefield 2 if i wanna go play capture and hold and play with flags all day for no fee/month. I'm almost as maxed as you can get for WoW being in a top notch guild (which funnily enough crossed over from Eq2 :p) so no more grinding = nothing really to do anymore.

Nothing on the horizon that looks remotely interesting, D&D? .. crap system to start with, never liked it, and made by the people who did Asherons call/ac2.
MERP (middle earth roleplaying) mmorpg, again made by the people who asherons call so I don't really hold out any hope of it being anything decent.
imperetor, romans in space? ... need i say more. I swore I'd never play a mythic game ever again, I intended to hold that personal promise.

Only thing I can remotely see being any good is dark and light or warhammer online. Warhammer = mythic and DNL has some grey area's that not really disucssed so .....

Future is bleak for MMORPGS

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Just incase your intrested and didnt allready know, SoE will shortly be taking over the running of MxO.

So if you still have any other SoE mmo you can get MxO added to your station pass thingymabob*.

*I think this will be after all the servers get moved or something.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
EQ2 is quite simply the worst mmorpg i have ever played. nuff said. hated it.

WoW is good for entry level mmorpg.. but thats IT. do not be fooled by the 900k peeps the ads say are playing. its nice until lvl 60. end game is a joke.. simply doesnt exist.

i have gone back to DaoC. now.. the thing about DoaC is yeah.. its been around a while.. it would be VERY hard to catch up with peeps to compete.. but not impossible... however.. there are gonna be new servers soon to entice new players to daoc.. ones where the best stuff is player crafted.. none of the trials of atlantis/catacombs/new frontiers nonsense... old school daoc. they way it was loved the most :D

could try that if u prepared to wait a bit :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
ilaya said:
i have gone back to DaoC. now.. the thing about DoaC is yeah.. its been around a while.. it would be VERY hard to catch up with peeps to compete.. but not impossible... however.. there are gonna be new servers soon to entice new players to daoc.. ones where the best stuff is player crafted.. none of the trials of atlantis/catacombs/new frontiers nonsense... old school daoc. they way it was loved the most :D

could try that if u prepared to wait a bit :)

Only in the US and they will still have NF and Catacombs (which is a good thing imo, at least catacombs at any rate). Difference to a normal server will be that there will be no /level20, no ToA, and all conc buffs will have 5000 range and you must be grouped with the buffer.

Agent Davidov

Fledgling Freddie
Try DAoC for Free

Not played any of the others but I'd say that DAoC is worth a look for a couple of weeks. Depending on your play style there is plenty of PvE, Massed PvP (Realm v Realm) and a dedicated PvP server.

Get the freebie here .. http://camelot-europe.goa.com/en/popup_decouvrez.htm .. and use the time to get to know the game.

As a trial I'd advise logging on to the Excalibur Server, creating an toon on Albion and joining a friendly open guild like Nosferatu Reborn .. https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=177474

Use the 2 weeks to work out what realm/class you want to play in the future (or don't resubscribe if it's not your cup of tea.)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Agent Davidov said:
Not played any of the others but I'd say that DAoC is worth a look for a couple of weeks. Depending on your play style there is plenty of PvE, Massed PvP (Realm v Realm) and a dedicated PvP server.

Get the freebie here .. http://camelot-europe.goa.com/en/popup_decouvrez.htm .. and use the time to get to know the game.

As a trial I'd advise logging on to the Excalibur Server, creating an toon on Albion and joining a friendly open guild like Nosferatu Reborn .. https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=177474

Use the 2 weeks to work out what realm/class you want to play in the future (or don't resubscribe if it's not your cup of tea.)

It is rather annoying when people ressurect 3 month old threads and you read them and dont realize at first how old they are :/

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
after playing daoc, coh, swg, eve

DARK AGE : Fun if your prepared to invest time and effort (or you know someone who can help you) not very newbie friendly wait for the classic servers to oepn then join in the fun.

City of Heroes : Fun for the first 10 to 20 levels after which you get your decent powers and the game then becomes grind after grind of same old missions. (dont like the debt system)

Starwars Galaxies : about to be basically changed to Starwars battlefront (with mmo) alot of people upset but at least you will be able to roll a jedi from the beginning

Eve : One hand its a very very very pretty game you look at it and Go OMG IM IN SPACE, on the other hand you go OMG IM MINING ASTEROIDS. I didnt like eve its very slow paced game there didnt seem to be any means to level up without mining asteroids. Some might like it some might not.

Matrix online i heard a reviewer basically sum it up in Blue pill, red pill, cianide pill.

A friend of mine said he tried it but couldnt even get out of a dungeon the game was that buggy. SO i would say ignore matrix unless your a die hard fan that found the films interesting and great peices of cinematography (i found it predicatble and ok as a film)

anywho thats my views :D

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
I started playing WoW at US release last year, have a 60 warrior and a few high-mid level alts and still loads of fun with it.

Considering content patches are big and with an expansion coming up, I ll have fun for quite awhile longer.

Granted, though - I have a life which involves a family, a 50+ hour work week, social life and all the other happy horse shit.

Of course games become boring once you've started playing them excessively.
I enjoy WoW in small doses and the excellent solo-ability makes it a winner for me anyways. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom