Mandrake Terminal Server

L

LTF

Is it possible to set Mandrake 9 up as a terminal server and connect to it from xp/2000 desktops using the windows terminal services client?

If not... can you point me in the direction or other possible ways of doing this?

ta ;)

W

Will

Originally posted by d0nk3h
If not... can you point me in the direction or other possible ways of doing this?
I'm not 100% sure what you want to do, as I've never used terminal services.

If you just want remote access to a command line, you can use an SSH client (puTTY is very minimal, Secure Shell is a bit more feature-filled). If you are after something a bit more graphical, you can set up a windows manager on the windows box, so you can start an X session remotely. I'm a bit vague because its not something I ever do myself, I go for the first option I listed.

T

Testin da Cable

as Will says...I'm not rightly sure what you want to do either. whatever it is I'm sure it can be done, though if it will work with windows' own home-grown client may be an issue. I'm sure Bids can answer this easilly. oh, and the OS forum heh...use it ;)

B

bids

/* Lurk Mode Off */

Hi TDC :)

With regard to your questions Donk, if I understand what you're trying to do properly, don't think you can use Windows Terminal Clients to access a Linux server, as I don't think there is native support, and the Windows client requires CAL authentication, etc.

The way I do it on our network is to use VNC. It's usually packaged with most Linux distro's, and to start on your Linux box (usually within etc) do a './vncserver :1' (no quotes - the :1 is the display number).

Then do a './vncpasswd password'. This starts up the server side.

On your Windoze client, install the VNC client (small download), start up, type in IP address, colon and the display number (e.g. 192.168.235.1:1) and the password. Other options are available on the client side, but you should get a full Linux desktop, running the shell on the server. This should be fine for a small number of users. Any more and you will need a full blown X-Server client, like Hummingbird (Google search).

Link to the VNC Webby

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Hope that helps.

/* Lurk mode On */

T

Testin da Cable

Heya Bids matey :)

some extra points: your X communications will not be encrypted unless you tunnel them through something like SSH, and that can get really really slow. the Hummingbird package I used did the job, but had lots and lots of extras that bloated it up. I don't know if you can get 'just' the X client.
be aware that some clients tend to crash if they have to handle large amounts of communications.

L

LTF

Originally posted by Happy Go Lucky
OS Forum

At least you didn't put in the general forum. ;)

/Unhelpful reply

It was a terminal services question more than OS, terminal services is software, it was in the software forum

E

Embattle

The question is based around TS and A Linux OS, so 50/50 and as such it appears in both forums....although gets redirected to the OS forum.

T

Testin da Cable

other than that...have we managed to help you out?

L

LTF

Thanks for the input.

I've just got one mandrake box running as a test atm, but i have a small budget to do a big job :/

Basically, four sites in the uk, with windows xp clients and 2000 servers.

Need remote access to 3 sites from one site, (this is where it gets shitty) the main site has isdn, but will use a 56k dialup to the other sites where a 56k modem will answer. ://

The people upstairs want this done for next to nothing, no more 2000 server licences, no more cals etc, which is why im looking at linux. Need to dial into a linux box, then use whatever software on that box to connect to and control xp clients on that particular domain.

DOes that explain it well enough? Really cained, need sleep, will read this in the morning :(

L

LTF

Originally posted by Embattle
The question is based around TS and A Linux OS, so 50/50 and as such it appears in both forums....although gets redirected to the OS forum.

You the man emb... :p

W

Will

Need to dial into a linux box, then use whatever software on that box to connect to and control xp clients on that particular domain.
Ick. I've had a browse, and I can't find anything.

T

Testin da Cable

Need to dial into a linux box, then use whatever software on that box to connect to and control xp clients on that particular domain.

um. I don't know if it can be done. I do know that there are ways to access and manipulate the [so called] active directory from unix. an educated guess says that ms terminal services will _not work out of the box when a unix box tries to talk to them.
it may well be that my information is aged, and thus degraded, as I do not exactly try to keep current on this subject. have a wee google and remember to check the tech news groups.

L

LTF

Looks like theyre gonna have to spend some money :uhoh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom