Maleus II - Blood (Part 2/2 - Long)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Maleus II - Blood (Ending).

The bloody trail lead to a beautiful stream, the suns reflection danced on it's surface like the mythical fairies in children’s stories. Lord Fairley and Fraser scanned the far shore and tree line for sign of Maleus but found none. Mackenzie filled their water flasks at the stream as Berry kept watch over the rear.

It sounded like a muffled crunch and a splash, or was it a splash and a crunch? It drew the attention of all the men and they all turned to face Mackenzie, The old man wobbled for a second, then his knees gave way and he toppled backwards onto the bank of the stream. Stood over him, bloody blade in his blood soaked hand was Maleus.

"I thought you'd have brought your best men Fairley!" Screamed Maleus. A sickening twisted evil filled his voice and something else that Berry had trouble understanding.. pleasure.

"Come to collect my corpse then Fairley?" Taunted Maleus "You already know the two you sent are dead, now this old man makes it three. How many do I have to kill before you leave me alone?" Sneered the murderer.

"As many as it takes, I should have killed you years ago. It was a mistake to let you live, especially so close to Tir Na Nog." Replied Lord Fairley. "The reaver wasn't one of my agents, he just wanted his chance to kill you so I thought I'd point him in the right direction."

"He almost had me too, but I guess my old age hasn't effected me as much as he expected." Maleus grinned at his Lordship as he wiped his sword blade clean on Mackenzie’s armour. "At least not as much as this old dead fool here."
Lord Fairley crossed back over the stream and unclipped his cloak, it was obvious he was preparing to fight. Maleus seemed bemused and less than worried.

"ha! after all these years you've finally grown a pair, or are your two men going to jump me whilst we're in combat?" yelled Maleus, with a side look at Fraser and another at Berry.

"We'll not interfere in honourable combat" shouted Berry. His voice almost faltering as his eyes met Maleus's. "Good!" laughed Maleus, looking back at Lord Fairley he said "It seems it's just the two of us Julius".

Julius? Berry Smythe had never even known his Lordships first name, never mind heard someone else speak it. Fraser too seemed surprised, Berry signalled to him to keep quiet but be alert on the far bank of the stream.

Tir Na Nog tradition prohibits anyone interfering in a duel, no aid is permitted once the two combatants cross swords and Berry wasn’t' about to break that tradition as it had been set by the Lord standing before him.

"Ironic that you should die by the sword you sent to kill me" stated Maleus, eye the shining sword in his hand as he stalked towards Lord Fairley. Berry started walking towards him but his Lordship shook his head, indicating that he should stay where he was.

"Getting cocky in our old age aren't we Mal?" Answered Lord Fairley, Berry realised that the two seemed to know each other, he realised that they must be about the same age and might have served in the army together.

"Cocky? no, I just know I desire your death far more than you desire mine." scoffed Maleus, a large malicious grin forming under his beard.

"We'll soon find out." yelled Lord Fairley and with speed Berry would never have credited the old man he drew the sword from his side scabbard and swung for Maleus's head.

======================

Maleus didn't duck or ever block the blow. Instead he launched himself into a backwards roll, Lord Fairleys blade scythed through the air where his head had been but by now he was standing 6 feet further away.

"Come now Milord, you didn't expect me to fall for that old trick" mocked Maleus.

"Why no my old friend, I was hoping you'd let me sever that dirty head of yours for old times sake." Mocked Lord Fairley in return. Maleus grinned and easily parried another of Lord Fairley's attacks.

But Maleus wasn't as steady as he had been, Fraser was waving wildly from the other side of the stream. when he caught Berry's eye he signalled that Maleus had a wound on his side. He'd been hiding it from Lord Fairley and Berry. That explained the bloody trail here, Berry only hoped his Lordship knew!

It was clear from Fraser's signal that it was rather serious it was only a matter of time before he began to weaken. Lord Fairley swung again and again, each time Maleus parried, rolled or simply dodged the blow but he rarely hit back at his Lordship. Instead he taunted, almost played with the heavily armoured man.

"I don't want to pick you to pieces Julius, I'll cut you in half in one swing instead". laughed Maleus, his beard broken into a large smile as Lord Fairley took the bait and swung wildly again. Maleus dodged it and kicked out the old knight, sending him flailing into the water.

"Trying to wash away all your sins my friend?" laughed Maleus as lord Fairley struggled to pull himself upright, his waterlogged armour weighing heavily on him.

Lord Fairley paused, Berry wondered why for a moment then realised- the old fool had dropped his sword in the water!

"Ah now Julius, what did father always tell you? Keep an eye on your opponent and your sword in your hand" scoffed Maleus

FATHER? it struck Berry like a mailed glove, what was Maleus talking about? just another of his tricks?

"Silence!" yelled Fairley, "Enough, it's time I put an end to your evil rantings and murderous ways Maleus, I should have done it long ago."

Reaching behind him and yanking on the Fairley Blade his Lordship charged at Maleus. But something was wrong, the blade was stuck! Fairley realised a moment too late, unable to stop in time he ran headlong into Maleus's sword. A moment passed, surprised seemed to blossom on both Maleus and Julius's faces then the momentum threw them both to the ground, crashing in a heap of armour and limbs.

Fairley was dead or dying, Berry had seen the blade pierce through the back of his armour. Nobody could survive such a blow. Maleus however also stayed on the ground, rolling his lordship off of him. He simply pulled himself upright and rested his back against a nearby boulder. "and so it ends" he muttered.

Berry approached the older man cautiously, peering over to where his fallen lord lay. "Lord Fairley is dead" he yelled over the stream to the dumbstruck Fraser.

"You approached me without drawing your sword" stated Maleus, his voice was cold. Berry wasn't able to pick up any anger in it, or fear. The man lay dying at his feet but showed no concern about what Berry might do.

"You're mortally wounded, weakened and exhausted. Besides, we both know you could kill me if you wanted to, even in your current state. Drawing my sword would just give you another reason to." replied berry, he kept his voice even. Trying to hide the fear that made him feel cold to the bone from creeping his voice.

"I don't usual require a reason young man." Maleus warned coolly. "But you are right, I've no intention of killing again, only to clear up some lies before I finally die."

"What lies?" asked Fraser who'd joined them from across the water, "I don’t' understand. What does the lord of Tir Na Nog have to do with a vicious murderer?"

"Don't push your luck, or I'm liable to remove your head" muttered Maleus. "you lad", he nodded at Berry "Bring me the Fairley blade."

Berry, curious to find out what he had to say quickly retrieved the blade from it's scabbard and handed it to Maleus. The old man looked at the blade lovingly. "This sword was once my fathers" Maleus said "Many years ago my father, the wise Lord Berem of Tir Na Nog had a bastard son, named Maleus with a servant girl. Rather than admit it he sent her away to avoid the shame and denied any knowledge of them. Eventually he'd let them return but only after twenty years had past and the boy had grown to become a hero in the Lord’s own army."

"Julius was furious to have his bastard half brother living in the same keep as him, he needed to ensure his right as heir. To do so he murdered his own mother and blamed it on Maleus, Berem tried to capture the boy but failed, in a mad fit of grief he had Maleus's mother thrown to her death from the highest tower." Maleus seem to flinch at the thought.

"Berem died just a few months later, half through a broken heart and half with madness. Julius became Lord and Maleus went on to become.."

"Well to become what I am." Maleus sighed.

"So Julius let you stay here if you'd keep the secret?" Asked Berry. "Why didn't he just kill you like did with your mother?"

Mad eyes flashed dangerous at Berry and he backed away "Don't ever mention my mother!!" Maleus began to rise but it was clear he was too weak and gave up with a sigh. "Julius was riddled with guilt at what he'd become, he thought he'd created me by his actions and in part he was right."

Maleus handed the sword to Berry "Now young man I ask a favour of you."

Berry eyed him suspiciously as Fraser looked on in awe. "I'd like you to kill me."

A slack jawed Berry couldn't say anything, Fraser spoke instead "But why? You're dying anyway."

"Because you idiot I'd rather die fast than slowly, now do it quickly!" ordered Maleus, anger giving his voice strength.

"One thing I'd ask first, Why couldn't Julius draw the blade of his fathers?" asked Berem, "I know evil can't unshealth it."

Maleus laughed heartily, his scruffy beard breaking into a huge smile. "There's nothing magical about that sword lad!", he said "The fool just forgot to unclip the carrying strap first!"

Berry would later admit that it was some strange quirk of fate that had stopped that sword from unshealthing, as if Lord Julius’s own ancestors were deserting him. He looked down on Maleus, The war hero, Champion of Tir Na Nog, Murderer of women and children. Life’s blood flowed quickly from the wound in his side. Thoughts of glory entered his mind, Lord Smythe – Slayer of Maleus the Terrible! But then he felt pity, this old man might have been a murderer but he’d had an awful life.

Maleus eyed Berry hungrily “Don’t take all day boy, I’m offering you a chance I never had. To live as a hero and unlike all those people you left at home. You both know the truth about the Lord of Tir Na Nog, whether you tell them is your own decision.”

Maleus laughed as Fraser turned over Lord Julius’s body and prepared him for transport home. “Even in death the bastard gets attention first!”

So as Maleus laughed his last, Berry raised the Fairley Blade and with a swift nod to Maleus, struck true. Finally Maleus was dead and with him ended the malign madness of his family..

"Why didn't Maleus just kill Julius all those years ago?" asked Fraser, peering over at Berry as he cleaned Maleus's blood from the sword. "Maleus was also mad, a murderer and quite frankly could have done it in seconds. Surely Julius was scared of him?"

"Lord Fairley was terrified of his half brother, but you forget one thing my friend. Maleus was on the run and everyone has to stop running at some point. He'd never be Lord of Tir Na Nog even if Julius died in his sleep, the people wouldn't allow it. Maleus wanted to be left alone, he knew what he was and besides in his eyes the people already had a mad Lord in Julius Fairley."

"One thing that puzzles me about Maleus" Said Fraser, "I thought he was mean't to have been last of the Blackhearts? So how could his father be Lord Berem?"

"Ask me over a pint my friend, enough of Maleus, enough of Berem and the rest of the mad lot.. Another time perhaps I'll tell you the story Mackenzie told me.." Berry replied.

The pair walked off to fetch Boyle and the horses, they had 5 corpses and a lot of explaining to do..

Mey

Part of the furniture
Finally got round to reading them all, very nice :)

Ronso

Can't get enough of FH
just read the 3 parts of this and had to bump it ...very very enjoyable .

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom