making ALL defensive paladin

A

Addlcove

thought it could be fun doing an ALL defensive pala with no dmg but high defense, has this ever been tried?

so far my 50 spec template is

50 chants
42 shield
39 parry
6 slash

I´m defenetly going through with it, just wanted to know if it has been tried before ;)

Octanion Calgar

Oc among friends :p

O

old.Zeikerd

Maybe with 1.51 even worth trying (the real aggro chant stuff).
You'll keep aggro and won't be killable. Would be cool :)
Who needs a healer? BT and you and you're ready for very long fights.

O

old.Zeikerd

Oh btw, lvl 5 scouts will be more effective in RvR than you :p

A

Addlcove

in dmg ways yes, but let me put guard and protect on a pbaoe icemage while being "engaged" and we can run into the middle of yellowcon enemies and waste them before they will get us (depending on the amount of enemies of course :))

Defense rules :clap: :p

B

belth

Go 48 in chants and you can raise slash to 15 :) All you'll miss from chants is the last resist chant (when they get here).

A

Addlcove

advice taken and followed it is now

chants 48
shield 42
parry 39
slash 15

actually I thought about it before but thought that the 1.50 buffs wasnt added in catacombs char builder, forgot it was ;)

O

old.FIN

hmmm, balance it little more

If u wanna make a defensive 1

Chants 50 , there will be more after resist

Not so much to shield, more parry, and then more Slash

Even though u need high defence, but u have to also kill peeps!

And what have been heard lvl's will go up to 64...

so think about it, and look how it goes with respec....lvl 20 and 40...nothing to loose about it..but Pally will always Rule the game =)

A

Arthwyr

My spec line

48 Chant (50 items)
42 Shield (48 or 50 with items depending on wich shield used)
40 Slash (44 with items atm)
12 Parry (13 with items)
and some odd 2 hand points

I consider myself to be quite defensive, damage output is bad though even with 44 slash and darksword of granite
Parry is bugged in RvR so don't bother with it atm

Arthwyr

F

Flimgoblin

Parry ain't bugged RvR... just it's like block - hard to get off against shedloads of opponents all hitting with hit-bonus styles.

Fing is gonna go 36 slash 31 dw 30 parry at lvl 40 going on to

50 dw 40 slash 40 parry :)

defensive merc...

K

K0nah

If u really want a defensiv merc I'd suggest 50crush 50parry rest DW but its upto u i guess...

T

Tranquil-

There's alot of mixed info about parry/block out (some say broken some say on purpose) It's a fact that both is low to non-existant with styles used, and mythic is only "looking into" the possibilty to raise the rate it works at.(wouldn't it be fun to block a PA?;) ) Oh, and engage only works against arrows atm(not sure about unstyled attacks, anyone know this for sure, since I'm dead before I get my melee out :) )

O

old.Ozwin

I read on VN that one of the pally TL's made a pure defensive pally but did require the help of a number of guilds to do this. In a fight he would virtually block or parry most blows from even con mobs with the result didnt lose much hp at all, problem arose at 40+ where it was taking upwards of 5 minutes to kill a mob. I would say it would be a good idea if you have a reason or purpose for him but not so for general play.

BTW Engage also works against melee attacks certainly against mobs, not tried it in RvR apart from archers as im usually mezzed at the time

A

Addlcove

he has a purpose Ozwin ;) to cover your cute behind :)
actually I wouldn´t mind a fight taking over 5 mins would give me time to go to the toilet :p

if he is a team player then he could guard the polearm armsman and by doing that help reduce downtime :) it works btw ask Soulcatcher/Coaxmetal :)

B

Belsameth

it works miracles :clap:

Keltoi hates the Octanion/Jeradon/Coaxmetal combo now
just cause at level 22/23 we would roll over any room we entered without so much as asecond downtime (unless more then 8 orso came :p ) died only once too when Dai decided to spawn with ALL his minions after we just killed him :p

soon we'll arive at Catacombs/Barrows....start to fear on forehand..

All your camps are belong to us! :p

A

Addlcove

Dude I love you ;)

we will rule your campfires, especially since we have Coaxmetal

ALL HAIL THE CABLE GUY :clap:

:p (he is SO gonna hate me now :))

btw spec changed again new final (and last I think) is

50 chants
42 shield
35 parry
18 slash

afaik both Jeradon and I are doing this ;) so see ya around just follow the "clank" and "cling"2 cause thats us ;p

damn its way to late and I should be in bed, sleep tight :)

B

Belsameth

LOL!

I would, if you didn't block so many attacks from the various nasty mobs and slightly annoyed players ;)

A

Addlcove

update and bump for Turamber ;)

final spec is

48 chants
42 shield
36 parry
21 slash

ALL HAIL THE CABLEGUY :p

N

nume

Why not spec in crush/staff and take to wearing a robe, you'll get to surprise unsuspecting mids PLUS you'll look fantastic in a robe, far more your style :p ;)

J

Jiggs

and you get to yell: BOON

:)

ps afaik atm only evade works properly hence Friar ownage

S

sorusi

If your going to use shield all the time go for 50shield (the L50 style is nice)

and get atleast 29 in slash for amethyst slash

A

Addlcove

if I raise the shield it´s on the cost of slash points, I DO NOT WANT TO DEAL DMG, the point with the defensive paladin is that he blocks AND parries an insane amount of times, combine that with shifting chants and you´ll have a mean tank ;)

tank = one that TAKES dmg
dmg dealer = one that DEALS dmg

armsmen have a choice they can be either one, paladins really don´t you cannot spec high in both slash 2hand AND chants anyways.

N

nume

Is this pure defensive palladin going to focused on PvP? If so you will be excellent for taking and holding agro while others kill the mobs, especially when you get the ranged taunt line under chants (not sure which patch it's in).

However, being the RvR n00b I am would you tell me how you can function in RvR? Will you be able to block many attacks against those you are defending?

B

bracken_woodman

Originally posted by Tranquil-
There's alot of mixed info about parry/block out (some say broken some say on purpose) It's a fact that both is low to non-existant with styles used, and mythic is only "looking into" the possibilty to raise the rate it works at.(wouldn't it be fun to block a PA?;) )

Notes on the 1.53 patch say that block/parry will be fixed so that it is the same chance of blocking/parrying in rvr as in pve. Whether this includes styles though is still not clear, although the notes do say that you should notice that you block/parry alot more than at present.

S

Sabu

Originally posted by Octanion
the point with the defensive paladin is that he blocks AND parries an insane amount of times, combine that with shifting chants and you´ll have a mean tank ;)

tank = one that TAKES dmg
dmg dealer = one that DEALS dmg

armsmen have a choice they can be either one, paladins really don´t you cannot spec high in both slash 2hand AND chants anyways.

Ermmmmmmmmmmm you will die a lot and you will no kill anything and block anything and parry anything in RvR

All who have some experience in RvR knows that parry/block almost don´t work against styles. If u find an enemie whithout end you will parry/block a lot but in normal fights you will be unuseful for your group.

D

darbey

Bear in mind a large percentage of the PvP server will be casters or hybrids with damaging spells, not sure having a defensive pally will help you against those.

A

Addlcove

sigh> we try again

THIS PALADIN IS FOR PvE AND KEEPTAKES/DEFENSES

I am well aware that in skirmishes this paladin won´t be very useful.

but if you see wedge´ PBAOE thread the my pally atleast is gonna end on those final specs

S

Sabu

Please do a defensive paladin but not a Ultra-defensive-unsuseful paladin. I have 48 in chants, 42 shield and 40 slash and my primary labour is to defend casters in RvR. If u don´t have damage u can´t defend anything, with Guard u can block 1, 2 or 3 attacks on your caster but is not enough if u can´t hurt your opponent.

Defense is nice but a nice attack can help it.

A

Addlcove

I don´t see the unusefulness of this paladin, I got Octanion to 41 using this template never been denied anygroup because of it, we had another pally like this named Jeradon and Coaxmetal as dmgdealer, the 3 of us was CHAINING pygmy goblin's at level 36, with no healer, now I know unconventional thinking is hard for some people, but just because it doesn´t look doable doesn´t mean it isn´t

V

vew-victus

your making this guy to defend others right? on keep takes and killing mobs etc...

well you dont need parry that high if you are cuz parry only defends yourself and a good offence is more then often the best defence... i play a defensive/offensive british armsmen in a way..

specced 44 thrust (low end 6 sec stun style after i blockany attack to me or person i am GUARDing aka beartooth) 42 shield (slam)= 2 ways to stun people and mobs rvr n pve (best kind of defensive skills i think is stun and guard)

going to go 44 polearm rest in parry rougly 10-11 parry (parry sucks compared to block and a good offence)

so if i was making a defensive paladin for keep takes and pve

go thrust not slash

21 thrust atleast (would go keep thrust and parry even that way you can do damage and often thats better then parrying 1 more attack :p or 36 thrust so u can get close too 50 with items n rvr ranks
42 shield a must
50 chants or 48
rest in parry

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom