Make your own chainmail

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
LOL !

http://www.armchair-armoury.co.uk/instructions.htm

I used to do this when I went to Labarynth (Live RP) many many years ago

This is EXACTLY what I used to make (still got it in the garage somewhere)

ex_612ring.jpg

Used to get so many pinches and cuts and stiff hands but looks AMAZING when you get a big bit done. And its fecking heavy !!!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Someone make her a chainmail ski mask

LOL

Mey

Part of the furniture
the let's make fun of larpers thread..

//sits for abuse.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
How can one woman look both fat and anorexic ?

*Starts knitting the chainmail balaclava for her*

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Another class A thread in Off-Topic!

Nope... not going down the drain at aaaalllll

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp said:
How can one woman look both fat and anorexic ?

*Starts knitting the chainmail balaclava for her*
comes across as harsh and shallow to me tbh....after all we cant pick our looks an what not :twak:

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
in regards to the armor they make...i wonder if its reliable against a blade that is swung at you an intended to fukin kill you....looks like it must be damn heavy aswell wearin a full suit of it

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
lamp is not the same person with this avatar :/

bring back piglet tbh

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Cemeterygates said:
...i wonder if its reliable against a blade that is swung at you an intended to fukin kill you...
Yes. The impact still passes into you through the mail, which is why you wear padded cloth underneath to cushion the blow, but the mail will stop a blade.
...looks like it must be damn heavy aswell wearin a full suit of it
My own mail is made of square-section 8mm steel rings and weighs 5 1/2 stone. It's crucifyingly heavy. It has nearly 30,000 rings in it, and took me about 8 months to make. On very hot days I've had to drop out of a battle and just take it off because I'm in serious danger of passsing out; I'm reasonably tough for a 21st-century Westerner, but we're all complete pussy lightweights compared to the people of medieval times, who lived a much more physically strenuous life and were consequently much tougher and stronger overall as a rule.

BTW what Lamp showed a picture of is what is known as ringmail, where you have large rings with smaller rings linking them together. It's light, but using the smaller rings makes for weaker joins between the large rings and it's easier to pull apart.

SMOR4IN1.jpg

My armour is full chain mail, where all rings are the same size and each one intersects with 4 others. It's much stronger and gives far better protection, but has the disavantage of being much heavier due to the far greater density of metal per given area.

SM4IN1.jpg

Those, by the way, are round-section rings; the square-section ones I used in mine are thicker in cross-section, giving a more dense look (and of course, more weight per given area).

-----

Other types of mail pattern include:

Double 4-in-1 or 8-in-1, sometimes called King's Mail:

e8_1.jpg

6-in-1 ring mail:

SMOR6IN1.jpg

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
(continued)*

6-in-1 Persian mail:

SM6IN1PM.jpg

'Dragonscale' mail:

SMDRAGON.jpg

And, getting into the realms of the purely decorative...

'Bird's nest' mail:

SMBIRDWEB.jpg

Half Persian mail:

hpr3_1w.jpg

-----

Making mail takes a lot of time and a lot of patience (and it's murder on the hands until the callouses build up), but it's a nice feeling to know that you're making something that genuinely can last for centuries.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Samaroon|Terracotta said:
Wonder if i can make some out of old can ring pulls and some other smaller rings! :/
Yes, I've seen that done. It's crap armour but looks fun.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I've also got a large piece of Kings Mail in the garage

How the hell do you make Birds Nest Mail ?? LOL

And yes - its can be murder on your poor hands - but you get used to having pliers pinch chunks out of your fingers after a few months lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom