Magical Gear vs. Player-made

O

old.Lawrence

Hi Folks,

I'd like to share my views and knowledge about this issue, seeing that most of you simply say.. "magic armour/weps are far better", which really drives me nuts ;o)

What would matter to me the most in combat is..

- Am I doing well against monsters that give me good exp?
- Am I still in good shape or totally injured after a normal fight?
- Do I miss just a few times or a lot of times vs Orange/Red baddies?
- How long does it take me to kill an appropriate monster?
- How long will my precious gear last?

things like that.

Now, first look at what Sanya Thomas has posted in her latest grab bag:

When you hit a location on a defender, the magic bonus, quality, condition, and damage modifiers (if that armor is strong/weak versus that armor type), absorption, and AF come into play.

So if you are attacking someone that has armor that is weak to your weapon type, and the quality, magic bonus, and condition of your weapon is higher then their armor, you will do a significant amount more damage then you would if everything was even.

Put another way – if you have a weapon that is 100% quality, and you hit someone wearing 85% quality armor, first the game checks for plus or minuses to that armor type, and armor level (displayed AF). But after that addition or subtraction, you as the wielder of the weapon will get a 15% bonus. The bonus is then modified slightly depending on the state of repair (condition) of the weapon and the armor.

The short version is get yourself that high quality gear.

The relevant formulas are:
1) AF*Quality*Condition for armour
2) DPS*Quality*Condition for weapons

Now let me state some facts:

- Player crafted armour & weps *always* have at least 90% quality, and can have up to 100%.
- Enchantment is a unique feature only available for player-crafted items. It adds to the chance to not getting hit on armour, and to the chance to hit on weapons. The bonus % is based on the material used. While on steel weps/armour you get a 5% bonus, on Adamantium Armour (AF60) for example, enchantment already adds a 20% bonus per piece to the mentioned chances.
- The higher the quality, the less condition an item loses over time. This means a player crafted item can stay effective for a much longer time than most magical items.

Magical items can have nice boni, I admit that. But did you ever think about what some of them actually mean to you in combat?

Say your armour gives you +10 hits... An opponent hits you for much more than that in a single hit. It sounds much and sounds good but it's really not doing much, just like the +1/+2 stat boni.
Would you rather want the 10 hit points, or a decent chance for not getting hit at all?

And for weapons.. I'd bet my gold that most of you (melee fighters) exp in groups and not solo..so you usually fight against oranges or red baddies. Here's where chance to hit starts playing a big role. I've seen myself miss a red beast around and sometimes over 10 times.

There are better magic pieces than player crafted, yes. I'd say a pure healing cleric can do without those chances and should go for as much magic boni as he can get; the same goes for other casting characters.

Melee fighters should in my humble opinion go for the free quest items and fill up the remaining slots with player made armour, or magical armour with at least 90% quality & a bonus to not getting hit.

As for the quest items, best would be to go to warcry.com and make a list of at which levels you will get which quest items. Saves you money ;)

Oh and on a final note.. please remember that player crafters can repair items without cost. You could take advantage of this everytime you level up and return to your trainer in camelot.

I've added a player crafters database to my homepage http://daoc.silverpark.net should you have trouble finding a crafter with appropriate skill for your needs.

Ok that's all for now, I hope you don't see the tradeskills as being just useless anymore without spellcraft..

O

old.Lawrence

Small update..

I just fetched this from the camelot herald 1.50E patch notes:

CRAFTING SYSTEM NOTES

- Crafted items now have a minimum quality of 94 percent. There is now an even chance that any crafted item will have a quality of 94-99 percent, with a very small chance of 100 percent.

I hope GOA can make this patch live on european servers soon :)

A

Alrindel

I hope GOA can make this patch live on european servers soon :)
Well, it has to go live on American servers first. Those are patch notes from the test version currently running on Pendragon, Mythic's testing server, containing modifications that may or may not be incorporated into the version released to the live servers.

THEN GOA can make it live on european servers. :D

O

old.LandShark

Can't really make a sweeping statement here; for many classes, the magical bonuses are far more important than the AF or quality.
Besides, there's plenty of 90%qua dropped armors out there. And we'll all be wearing our lvl 50 epic armor eventually, won't we :rolleyes:

I

infozwerg

most drops come with appropriate bonus already on them and are 89% qua. the exception from this rule is worn asterite stuff, which is really the worst you can get.

in groups, you get a to hit bonus dependent on the size of the group.

some stats on drops do a lot more for you than higher qua can do, like bonus to your weapon skill. (wait for spellcrafting)

crafters cant do af 98 armor or 16 dps weapons. (not yet)

ciao
Hedo
(happily wearing celt-crafted armor)

T

Treniel

magical gear any day even if it does have crappy quality simply because of the stat increases u get :eek:

although i can't actually wear any crafted now its all blue at top level i think which is af 74?

B

belth

Quality affects damage taken, you can almost halve the damage you take with a masterpiece of same AF as a dropped one. 89% quality is shit, but currently there aren't that much choices :(

F

Flimgoblin

If you take a piece of armour (say dw) that gives you bonuses..... How much do these stat adds actually do?

Take dusk walkers for example - this gives me +21 hits...
that's pittance...

What about the strength/dex etc mods you say? Well if that 21 hits is balanced to the rest of the DW armour... the actual effect on my fighting from these bonuses is as little as +21 hits..

Now when you can provably do X more damage or have better armour factor... who wants the +4 dex now?

B

belth

Indeed. Now in the latest patch notes for 1.50, armorcrafters and tailors can make "level 6" armor, that surpasses even the AF102 drops (which are only 93% quality, crafters will always do 94% or higher in 1.50+).

Also, all 1000+ skill crafters can make anything as a masterpiece. Combine this with the propability that spellcrafting is introduced most likely in the next 2 months (4 months or so for us, I recon), you don't want shitty drops, except to fill in for non-crafted pieces. With weapons, drops will propably become obsolete, except when you're really skint. Only value for drops after spellcrafting I can think of is /salvage...

Should also take in to consideration the bonus on armor/weapons, as you really shouldn't use some 25% bonus weapon at level 50, because most of the people will wear their epic armor with 35% bonus (after 1.49). -10% chance to hit is nasty. You can get weapons with 35%, but they are only dropped by the Dragons - how likely is that you'll get such a weapon...

Support crafters ;)

T

Treniel

yeah but 1.50 includes Darkness Falls doesn't it? or at least droping in Llyn Barfog sure all the chain wearers will want doom chain of the mouth :eek:

as for the stats at lower lvl (when u wear armour that gives +21pts) it can be argued that its not worth it...however alot of the higher armour gives other stuff like +str/crush/thrust and resists etc also adds more HP think my post HP added is 49 :eek: and if every bit gives sumthing like that then thats over 200hp...does make a difference

C

Chenuba

Originally posted by infozwerg
most drops come with appropriate bonus already on them and are 89% qua. the exception from this rule is worn asterite stuff, which is really the worst you can get.

in groups, you get a to hit bonus dependent on the size of the group.

ciao
Hedo
(happily wearing celt-crafted armor)

Worn asterite stuff might sux, but it can be enchanted to get bonus %

B

belth

Originally posted by Treniel
yeah but 1.50 includes Darkness Falls doesn't it? or at least droping in Llyn Barfog sure all the chain wearers will want doom chain of the mouth :eek:

as for the stats at lower lvl (when u wear armour that gives +21pts) it can be argued that its not worth it...however alot of the higher armour gives other stuff like +str/crush/thrust and resists etc also adds more HP think my post HP added is 49 :eek: and if every bit gives sumthing like that then thats over 200hp...does make a difference

Still you're getting shitty bonus compared to what you can get, only DF stuff that has 35% is jewelry... What's 200hp compared to taking only half damage or even 75%? Nothing much, only seems better. And 49hp? That's insignificant for a tank when you have over 1k hp.

Edit: Well, Legion in DF drops 35% bonus stuff too, but the propability of getting such an item is very small, even if part of the zerg that killed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom