LOTR - Battle for middle Earth

Cyfr

Banned
Nobody posted about this yet? I think it's a great game and (for once) well worth the money I spent on it.
I got it from GAME for £35 and it even came in a LOTR golden tin! :p

It's based on the C&C Generals 3d engine but they have really put their heart in to it, you go through the story and get shown bits of the film as certain events happen :D

10/10 from me, love it! \:D/

Custodian

Loyal Freddie
Interesting.
First review I read said it was fairly average. Some very good bits, but not much strategy.

I look forward to seeing what others think.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I played it round my mates house, really didn't think it was all that great reminded me alot of C&C Generals not only the looks (thats a given) but the way it played, for base-building RTS I would still rather play TA instead of C&C, mind you EA have announced a new Red Alert game which should be good, but im still playing Rome Total War

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Still early in the campaign so can't say too much but enjoyed it so far :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i read its just a tech demo. im waiting for a playable demo before i buy it.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
They should re-do Total Annihilation, well by redo i mean just up the gfx :p

nothing like a Big Bertha pounding shells across the map

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's no where near as good as dawn of war. Good for fans of the film I suppose though.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Dawn of War is the king of RTS atm you cant beat it :) i was'nt hoping for much on this game its got EA stamped on it for 1 thing.

The game has had mixed/shoddy reviews which has put me off so i think il skip this one.

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Battle of helm's deep/Defence of Minas tirith are most intresting levels on any RTS game i have played this far.

Tilda

Well,

It arrived yesterday, and i've played all today, so far i've just finished the defence of helms deep.
I have to say this is one of the best RTS's i've played.
Moria was a bit odd because of the camera angles, but other than that its been awesome fun.

It was distressing the first time my Rohan riders army got killed by just one squad of pike men, but i taugh them a lesson! ;)

Funniest thing ever has to be seeing an ent kicking a troop of orks into the air and even though hes being shot and hit by 50 others, taking practicly no dammage. Just keep them away from fire :D

So far i'd give it 89%
It lost marks for 2 things, sometimes the sounds (made when you select a unit, or till it to move somewhere) repeat the next click which sounds a little odd.
And secondly for the one odd bit on Moria where the camera wasnt quite sure if it was going up or down, or looking through the walls.

Other than that, its the best game i've played in ages.

Tilda

NaveT

Fledgling Freddie
* Windows 2000/XP
* Intel Pentium III/AMD Athlon 1000MHz
* 128MB RAM
* 3.2GB Hard Drive
* 4x DVD-ROM
* 32MB Direct3D Video Card
* DirectX compatible Sound Card
* DirectX 8.1
* Keyboard and Mouse

Taken from Game's website

Ronso

Can't get enough of FH
I think its very good however one or two points I think are a bit unbalanced ..

The good side has a main special ability of summoning the dead which can take down an army of any size ..I mean any size ..they get this for 10 spec points where as the dark side have to get 20 spec points to get a ballrog who isnt as reliable as the undead ...

also gandalf is completly overpowered having a pbaoe spell that takes out everything within a certain radiius ..i find elephants can withstand it and squash him but if he has range he can one shot the elephants and also it takes a long time to build the elephants at a high cost too ..

the dark side can choose 3 heroes ..2 random nazgul and the witchlord ...the good side can choose all the people in the flippin fellowship ..plus !! gandalf can once again ..one shot kill the witchking !

other than elephants i find gandalf to be like a paladin ..pretty imortal ...

also ..the witchking has only two abilities ..a passive leadership bonus - only ok cause u dont use a witchking with ure main attack as much as u would defending ure ass enteranfe so he aint with troups to get the leadership bonus ( unless its all auto and range doesnt matter 0o )

gandalf has a few abilites as does aragorn and gimli and so on so on ..

a good game but i think the good side have it way too easy ..imo.

Tilda

Stayed up until 1:30 this morning defending Minas Tirath, it was awesome, i survived until Rohan came, just. And then Aragorn + Army of Dead = win :D
Best fun, ever!

Helme

Resident Freddy
I really like this game, its easy to get started in and can keep you entertained during the whole play session unlike some of the more heavy resource collecting RTS thats out at the moment, another thing I really like is the relative few units. Might not be much to brag about on the box(400 different units spread around 50 civilizations!) but it opens up a easier gameplay which I like alot.

The combat works quite good, minor flaws like the flying creatures might be a little bit to good aswell as ents is close to godmode. The combining of troops is a extremly good thing well done on that part.

The missions for both good & evil is very fun, I like how they took a step away from following the movies to 100% like the rest of the LOTR games. Also the huge battles of Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith(only ones iwe encountered so far) is probarly the most fun iwe had in a RTS to this date.

To rate this game I would easily give it a 9/10 only thing I don't like is that some heroes and abilitys is just to unbalancing(Army of Dead & Gandalf) Other then that its most likely the best game that came from the movie licenses so far.

Tilda

Have you figured out how to "uncombine" units that you've combined, or is that not possible?

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not usually inclined to play RTS games, but last night I knew that I was hooked when my wife complained about how late it was [2,30am]. I had just managed to turn a defeat around, playing as Gondor vs a Rhoan player. I read the reviews & it was obvious that PCGamer/format were lukewarm to it, but I preferred PCZones take on it and I for one was not disappointed.

tris-

the game is pretty good except the MP side of things.

only 4 different 'races' and only a couple of maps that people ever play makes every game go the same way.

although the single player is the best in any RTS (bar total war) i have ever seen.

tris-

well ive been playin it a lot lately, and online its damn good if you got a buddy who will co-op with you and plan out an attack. last night though, i had the strangest dream.

there was some kind of war going on, except everyone just had swords and no guns. i was with some guy and i grabbed my katana and ran outside into something that looked like landscape from LOTR. i could see loads of figures everywhere with swords (didnt know if they were human or not), THEN over the hill infront i seen lurtz walking over, all slow motion like. he got his bow ready and i walked off cos he would of kicked my arse.

lol :eek6:

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
thats some funky shit. mabe you shouldent play games when your tired it makes you have wierd dreams etc

tris-

heh, i love weird dreams. its better than sleeping and never remember your boring crappy dreams. oh yeh, had another long game last night. it was nearly 5 hours long and one of the enemies started crying because we kicked his ass first, lol.

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
tis true wierd dreams are pretty fun :> might have to try this game online sometime probly get owned though :p

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Its so annoying, you kickass vs hard cpu enemies, then you play online and someone with a retarded name who you expect to be a complete mong ends up battering you with a huge army after like 2 minutes, how does he do it?! Makes you feel so crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom