Lord of the Rings: Online!

Himse

FH is my second home
Ok aparently they are trying to release this game.. lotr online..

its kinda in the early stages of development atm i think... but would you go and play it? and what would you like to see put into the game?

Things such as:
Guilds / Clans
Keeps etc
Horses / Wolfs and such (mounts)
Terrain / Zones
Cities
Races / Classes? Or just be able to train in sword / bow etc..
Levels...

i could go on for hours but hey :)

Discuss.

Rellik

Fledgling Freddie
i can see it now....

a server with a pop thats below 14 years old...

ahhh its beautiful... or NOT :(

Himse

FH is my second home
Rellik said:
i can see it now....

a server with a pop thats below 14 years old...

ahhh its beautiful... or NOT :(

wow, the most pointless reply ever :| jeezus christ :eek6:

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Umm, I've been following this game for like 3+ years now. :) It looks great, and its gone through alot of changes since its original announcement. There isn't going to be much magic etc, (Its going to be very true to the books) :)
http://www.dol-amroth.net

B

big_ish

Hmm yes, atleast with DAoC the amount of Kids with access to a credit card are limited.

But saying that, it's not just the children that are total asses.

Himse

FH is my second home
I like the idea of not alot of magic... like but they really need to give like real effects to it like in the movie..

Nazgol(s) (sp?) etc

and should be like Horde vs Alliance except..

Humans, Hobbitses! and elves dwarfs

vs

Orcs, Trolls, Gobilns, Dark Humans (saruman etc)

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
big_ish said:
Hmm yes, atleast with DAoC the amount of Kids with access to a credit card are limited.

But saying that, it's not just the children that are total asses.

speaking off ass nice pic xD

and the game looks like another WoW clone tbh :/

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Personally i have seen enought variations of Legolas even on daoc,would not even dare to think how much more there would be on here :p

B

big_ish

Downanael said:
Personally i have seen enought variations of Legolas even on daoc,would not even dare to think how much more there would be on here :p

lol yes, I will love to know how many variations of Aragorn, Legolas, Faramir, Boromir, Gandalf, Frodo........etc there are after the first week.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
server population: 87% humans - legolaAAs - g1imly , 13% me orc

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
...i can't see shit on how the game will be.. there no hwre good info to be found.. or any good videos or shit.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Mobius said:
Umm, I've been following this game for like 3+ years now. :) It looks great, and its gone through alot of changes since its original announcement. There isn't going to be much magic etc, (Its going to be very true to the books) :)

I love Tolkien's works. It's really great and the absolutely best within the genre.

However, I see some problems in trying to make a game like this. Or rather, I have some experience from playing a game within Tolkien's world Arda.

First and foremost it is the problem of Theme vs. Playability.

Forinstance, just picking a race would be an issue. Why play a hobbit when you can play an elf that is both stronger, have more stamina and in general outperform hobbits in every single way?

Why play an orc, when you could play an Uruk-hai that outperforms orcs in every possible way?

Second is the problem of story line and what age to put this in.

Does time evolve or is a static day in the Tolkiens story just being played out repeatedly?

If it evolves, does it follow Tolkiens storyline or does players have an effect on it?

You see, there is alot of problems. Theme is good for the poster and the ads, but as far as I see it, it's bad for the gameplay.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:
Forinstance, just picking a race would be an issue. Why play a hobbit when you can play an elf that is both stronger, have more stamina and in general outperform hobbits in every single way?

Why play an orc, when you could play an Uruk-hai that outperforms orcs in every possible way?

Maybe its changed but last i heard it was just going to be humans, elves, dwarves and hobbits.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
what ever happened to Middle Earth Online? Or is this the same? oO

Technodave

One of Freddy's beloved
Mobius said:
Theres no PvP fyi.

yea theres no pvp cant see me joining a game without good pvp

Im beta testing Myth War Online and RF Online atm MWO looks crap but RFO is lookin good so far :cheers:

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
Maybe its changed but last i heard it was just going to be humans, elves, dwarves and hobbits.

In which case, why play anything other than an Elf if the game is going to be true to the background?

Simply put, Tolkiens Elves are practically demi-gods. They out perform humans, dwarves and hobbits in every single way. If you were going to be faithful to the source material, the racial abilities would look like this.

Elves
Good at everything. Strong. Tough. Fast, Resistant to illness. Artistic. Intelligent. Wise. Immortal.

Humans
Can breed like rabbits.

Dwarves
Tough and strong. Good at working metal, waking Balrogs. Relatively long lived.

Hobbits
Grow excellent pipeweed. Quite hardy. Like staying at home. Most eschew footware and water.

Before you know where you are, you have entire server of people called Legolas, Legolass1111one1one, Legolasroxor, Leoglas, Legoass and variations on a theme.

Of course they could balance the races, but that completely messes with the game background as Azathrim has already pointed out. Admitedly you do have the Numenorians, of which Aragorn is one of the last descendants, who are much more potent than normal men and also quite long lived, but even then, they are not in the same league as the Elves.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
Sendraks said:
In which case, why play anything other than an Elf if the game is going to be true to the background?

Simply put, Tolkiens Elves are practically demi-gods. They out perform humans, dwarves and hobbits in every single way. If you were going to be faithful to the source material, the racial abilities would look like this.

Elves
Good at everything. Strong. Tough. Fast, Resistant to illness. Artistic. Intelligent. Wise. Immortal.

Humans
Can breed like rabbits.

Dwarves
Tough and strong. Good at working metal, waking Balrogs. Relatively long lived.

Hobbits
Grow excellent pipeweed. Quite hardy. Like staying at home. Most eschew footware and water.

Before you know where you are, you have entire server of people called Legolas, Legolass1111one1one, Legolasroxor, Leoglas, Legoass and variations on a theme.

Of course they could balance the races, but that completely messes with the game background as Azathrim has already pointed out. Admitedly you do have the Numenorians, of which Aragorn is one of the last descendants, who are much more potent than normal men and also quite long lived, but even then, they are not in the same league as the Elves.

/agree

and I must say I like 'Legoass' :p

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Comos said:
what ever happened to Middle Earth Online? Or is this the same? oO

Yeah it got bought out by some other company, and they changed the name because they are only licensed for whats in the ring trilogy, and not the other stuff.

Anar

One of Freddy's beloved
Taken from the FAQ ,in regard to PVP:

Is there PvP in LOTRO?

While there is some (but very little) precedent for PvP in the lore, it doesn't fit into Tolkien's world in the usual way that PvP fits into MMORPG's. In light of this, the design team is looking at PvP alternatives that will satisfy those who enjoy competitive play, while preventing scenarios such as Elves "ganking" Hobbits in the Shire.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Would be fun to play a Noldor elf (of which Galadriel is the only living left in the mortal lands).

Afterall, 2 Balrogs vs. 1 Noldor were an unfair fight. For the Balrogs. :)

The elves left at the time frame the books take place is much weaker though. Only a few very strong ones are left, like Galadriel and her husband Celeborn.

That said, they are still by far stronger than the rest of the races.

Tolkien had this idea that everything eroded. The first elves (Noldor) were extremely powerful and their entire history is the story of getting weaker and weaker (presumable by the Shadow, Melkor's continued work to corrupt them).

But even Melkor failed and is now imprisoned. Instead one of his lesser servants, Sauron, took over as the evil guy trying to corrupt and create the world in his picture. :)

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
weres that other game from mythic gone to? where rome never has fallen..

Himse

FH is my second home
scrap this.. sounds like a bore!

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
I have a feeling its going to be shite, think i'll hold out for warhammer I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom