[QUESTION] Loot rules?

Bloodcore

Can't get enough of FH
I was in a PQ today.

I pressed pass to all armor/jewelry/weapons ect. that wasnt for my class, but i want some gold aswell, so i pressed NEED for the herbs or wth they are.

That got me kicked out of the warband.

Now it seems i had gotten a warning, doing this, but didnt see it (i never use the chat, im on skype with my mates)

Heres the question

1. Whats the problem with it?

2. Where does these "rules" come from? (not daoc)

Was on orrud server, and the dude who kicked me was unguilded, wont mention his name, no point in that, just want to know what the "rules" are (and where they come from)!

dee777

Loyal Freddie
You are gonna get 5 different oppinions on this if you ask 5 different people.

The way I do it is need stuff that I will wear on the character I play at the time. Greed everything else. Not that money will buy you a lot in WAR ATM. :)

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not 100% myself, I believe the system comes from wow?

I think you did the right thing personally, though i dunno. I always pass or Greed on an item if I can't justify *Needing* it.

Things such as pots that in theory anyone could go for, i usually select Greed for. I can't strictly speaking justify NEEDING a pot unless I'm desperate for it right at that moment.

The question is, did you *Need* the crafting item?

Maybe I have it wrong lol. Didn't play wow... Thats just how I handle loot drops.

Chrismorris

Fledgling Freddie
well i only greed unless its an item i can wear/use then id need.

Always greed on seeds etc.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I generally need on items specific for my class, greed for things that are for anyone, and pass on things that are unusable by my class.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
I was in a PQ today.

I pressed pass to all armor/jewelry/weapons ect. that wasnt for my class, but i want some gold aswell, so i pressed NEED for the herbs or wth they are.

That got me kicked out of the warband.

Now it seems i had gotten a warning, doing this, but didnt see it (i never use the chat, im on skype with my mates)

Heres the question

1. Whats the problem with it?

2. Where does these "rules" come from? (not daoc)

Was on orrud server, and the dude who kicked me was unguilded, wont mention his name, no point in that, just want to know what the "rules" are (and where they come from)!

If you join a group because you need their help to achieve something and the leader tells you there is a rule, it might be prudent to listen. If you don't like their rules, leave their group or form your own.

Personally i don't agree with player-imposed rules in any online game, the game has it's own rule sets, thats what you play too. Anyone who feels the need to impose their own ruleset might be doing so with the best of intentions, but ultimately it's still an attempt to be controlling.

Of course some players choose to play to their own code of conduct (personally I and many others will only roll need if i/we need the item, greed if i/we know someone who might be able to use it and pass if it isn't something i/we want), which is cool, except when they try and impose this on others.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
If you join a group because you need their help to achieve something and the leader tells you there is a rule, it might be prudent to listen. If you don't like their rules, leave their group or form your own.

Personally i don't agree with player-imposed rules in any online game, the game has it's own rule sets, thats what you play too. Anyone who feels the need to impose their own ruleset might be doing so with the best of intentions, but ultimately it's still an attempt to be controlling.

Of course some players choose to play to their own code of conduct (personally I and many others will only roll need if i/we need the item, greed if i/we know someone who might be able to use it and pass if it isn't something i/we want), which is cool, except when they try and impose this on others.

:iagree: What he said.

The need/greed/pass thing should just be roll/not roll imo, everyone interperates what is fair and unfair differently

Baldanah

Fledgling Freddie
Personally i will only " Need " roll on an item i can use that's for the character i'm currently playing .
If its something for another class and that class is in the group i'll Pass , if none of that class is in the group i'll roll on Greed .
Everything else like potions , seeds etc i roll Greed on .

Firedog

Fledgling Freddie
I see the thing about roll on stuff u need and stuff u dont need..
But as for all the mmo's i have played it have allways been like:
Armor u will wear = Need
Crafting stuff u can need = greed (unless all agrees that crafters can agree on it, in my guild they have said its allright, but normally i ask in pub grps if i am allowed to need for seeds.)
pots etc = Greed (ALLWAYS)

But that he kicked u without warning, and then u got a Warning from the CSR?? thats kinda overkill for me.. its only seeds..
Though i have allready got people guildless cause they Ninja other Epic items..

pikeh

Resident Freddy
But that he kicked u without warning, and then u got a Warning from the CSR?? thats kinda overkill for me.. its only seeds..
Though i have allready got people guildless cause they Ninja other Epic items..

He didn't say he got a CSR warning, just from the warband leader.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Need = stuff for toon
Greed = what can make u richers
Pass = well duh

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I just need anything I can use on my toon and greed anything else. I usually wait though if something valuable drops, see what the other people do, if random X Needs something that he can't use then I do the same (unless there is someone in the group that can use it.

Its not as if you need any money in WAR, I am level 11 now and have nearly 5 gold and pretty decent gear for my level. There is nothing really to spend the money on atm, until the economy takes off, which is stifled by Mythic's awful crafting choices.

longbow

Fledgling Freddie
I cant say as Ive ever seen or heard of being kicked due to this - however you need to consider there may be folk out there that actually use them fro crafting and if somone is needing on them all the time they can get ratty.
For me -
I NEED if I can wear
Greed on everything else unless I know someone in the warband needs it then I pass.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
The way I do myself is that I greed on everything I can't use myself.

If stuff drops I can use myself now, or within a few levels, I need if it makes sense to do so (meaning if it isn't an upgrade I greed or if it is jewelery not really suited for me, I greed).
If it is an item significantly higher then me, meaning I can't use for a "long" time, I pass if somebody else can use it now, or need if nobody else can use it.

Ravenn

Fledgling Freddie
Most of the modern loot rules came from EQ1, where the loot was left on the mobs corpses and individuals used to loot in turn. There was no auto split for cash or items in those days (that was a long awaited add on after a few years). People used to be kicked if they looted out of turn and normally followed with big streams of "Don't let this ninja looting twat in your group" in local. TBH i think its a bit rough these days sinse the money is split evenly anyway, its just people taking items they can't use so are blatantly selling that upsets most now. Just remember the golden rule - Need before greed. I would pass any item in my group i couldn't or have no interest in using. This after all gives all your group mates a chance to get gear they can use.
Just makes me laugh that people automatically think every rule comes from WoW. There were several games out there long before that that have stood the test of time. EQ1 for example was still running last time i looked :)

Ravenn

Horseman

Fledgling Freddie
its strange i dont see anyone replying i NEED on anything which drops

cause i see alot of those types ingame too xD

anyways i never passed yet i just press need if i need it for the toon im in grp with and i greed the rest

Zagzyg

Loyal Freddie
Just makes me laugh that people automatically think every rule comes from WoW. There were several games out there long before that that have stood the test of time. EQ1 for example was still running last time i looked :)
Makes me laugh when people bash WoW for the slightest reason. WoW was only mentioned once in the thread, and that person stated they had never played WoW. Personally I thought EQ sucked as a game,.
Most of the modern loot rules I would say came from PnP games, and the systems in place are just automated ways of doing that.

I've done PQ's that basically became a need everything for everyone, because some plonker started doing it. Pretty soon there half a dozen doing it, and by then no one can be bothered to try and sort it, as the PQ was to frantic.

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
Makes me laugh when people bash WoW for the slightest reason. WoW was only mentioned once in the thread, and that person stated they had never played WoW. Personally I thought EQ sucked as a game,.
Most of the modern loot rules I would say came from PnP games, and the systems in place are just automated ways of doing that.

I've done PQ's that basically became a need everything for everyone, because some plonker started doing it. Pretty soon there half a dozen doing it, and by then no one can be bothered to try and sort it, as the PQ was to frantic.

:iagree:

Rolling for loot....D&D anyone?

charl8tan

Fledgling Freddie
When I'm in groups that are (in the main) consisting of friends/guildies and we are the "leaders" of the group, I roll need on all crafting materials I can use, as does any other person with the crafting skill. My friends and guildies all (quite happily I believe) pass on the seeds and let my inventory fill up with the damn annoying buggers instead! as I then turn them into potions for my Guild.

When I'm with random folks, I hit the greed button, on potions I pass as I really do not need or want them and have more than enough made up by myself. Though I really do not understand why people set rules like "All roll GREED on X item". Seriously, why not all just roll need as it is the same bloody thing and 100% prevents someone "accidentally" selecting a higher priority, if you're using potions, you do need them, and everyone needs them equally (I just don't have space for them with seeds!).

I find it more than slightly retarded that everyone thinks they are somehow a nicer player by not hitting the Need button, and how many times I have seen people state things like "Is it ok for me to Need on that? It's an awesome upgrade!". Need is need (items that will be used by yourself), greed is greed (items for friends or for sale etc etc), it's really not hard...

sareth

Fledgling Freddie
People have different views on this subject but most seem to Need if its for your character (weapon/armour/jewelry)and greed everything else.... unless an epic drops then its omfg its purple need regardless of class!

MephTheLaw

Fledgling Freddie
I need for everything in RvR now even though i'm at money cap because every little bastard, esp ironbreakers kept winning my items.

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
NEED-
any crafting materials you need for your professions (doesnt include armor or weapons to be salvaged)
any equipment that is better than what you are wearing regardless of wether you can use it now or in a few levels.
GREED-
anything for alts, your current char doesnt need it so its not a valid need bid.
anything you just plan on selling or salvaging.
pass-
anything you dont want.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
its strange i dont see anyone replying i NEED on anything which drops

cause i see alot of those types ingame too xD

anyways i never passed yet i just press need if i need it for the toon im in grp with and i greed the rest

They try to keep a low profile in "public", in game you can hide behind the anonymity of a character name, lest you call yourself your forum name :D

Toel

Loyal Freddie
I wouldn't have kicked you for rolling need on a fairly useless item but I'd find it rude. Why wouldn't you just greed like everyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom