looking for a new cheap gfx card...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
was browsing around and found this

this would cost me a whooping 61£ or 89€ ;)

would this be a fair price and anything that would hold me for a while? getting tired of having to buy a new card every 6 months... :p

AND would this also fit on my crappy old Chaintech mobo that got a Athlon XP 2400+ on it?? aparently its supposed to take any Athlon CPU thats out there but i dunno. that was half a year ago and thats bloody ages in computer years

Gigabyte GeForce 6200 with TurboCache

IsHomePage N

ChipsetType NVIDIA

Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6200 with TurboCache

Core Clock 350 MHz

Mem Clock 550 MHz

Memory 256MB (64MB on board)

Memory Bus 128 bit

BUS PCI-e x 16

Memory Type DDR 8Mx16

D-SUB Y

TV-OUT Y

DVI Port Y (DVI-I)

MultiView Y

H/W Monitor N

Tools V-Tuner II

GAME 1

Software Power DVD 5.0

Remark 64MB local frame buffer on board. Since the application of TurboCache Technology, this VGA could support 256MB memory; moreover, system memory would require 512MB and up. If lowing than 512MB, the display memory would be 128MB showed by the system information.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
any graphics card would fit any x86 processor provided the motherboard has the interface for AGP - unless this card is PCI-E.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Clicky for decent article, doesn't look too promising :p Personally I wouldn't bother with anything worse than 6600GT or better than 800xl.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
bahh /slaps his fx5200

But any card i look at changing to it's like €400+.

It's just mental .. .tbh i think i'll just build a new system instead.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
DocWolfe said:
any graphics card would fit any x86 processor provided the motherboard has the interface for AGP - unless this card is PCI-E.

yes, this card is PCI-E so i take it i cant use it then?

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
gf 6600GT or a 6800LE is fine and those cards are cheap aswell. Can really recommend them for their price.

mze

Fledgling Freddie
Shike said:
gf 6600GT or a 6800LE is fine and those cards are cheap aswell. Can really recommend them for their price.

Agree with that.
6600GT is probably best card price/performance wise on the market ever tbh and minimum i would buy.
6800LE/ x800XL if you could wait a bit and get some more cash.

And yeah, make sure you buy AGP not PCI-E slot card for your current mobo.

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
mze said:
Agree with that.
6600GT is probably best card price/performance wise on the market ever tbh and minimum i would buy.
6800LE/ x800XL if you could wait a bit and get some more cash.

And yeah, make sure you buy AGP not PCI-E slot card for your current mobo.

get yea self a 9800 pro :-p ... never go anywhere near a nvidia card, always go radeon .... bring on the flames :-p :worthy:

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
DirtyDiana said:
get yea self a 9800 pro :-p ... never go anywhere near a nvidia card, always go radeon .... bring on the flames :-p :worthy:

9800 Pro ftw :clap:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
DirtyDiana said:

i'm allergic to radeon. ive had 5 radeon cards and NONE of them worked.. :/

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
AMD CPU
nVidia Chipset
nVidia GPU

Ony way to go imo :clap:

Atleast I don't need to search for some 2nd hand drivers when running linux :D

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
AMD CPU
nVidia Chipset
nVidia GPU

Yep i wouldn't build a pc without those 3 components.

To the original poster, get a geforce 6800LE for a bit more cash(£93 here in england), lovely card for the money and plays games very well.If you want to spend a bit more then get a 6600GT.

Do not even think of buying a 6200 model. xE

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Sycho said:
Yep i wouldn't build a pc without those 3 components.

To the original poster, get a geforce 6800LE for a bit more cash(£93 here in england), lovely card for the money and plays games very well.If you want to spend a bit more then get a 6600GT.

Do not even think of buying a 6200 model. xE

lol no chance, seriously what you want is a AMD CPU! a VAI chipset ... unless you HAVE to go nvidia and then its got to be at LEAST nforce 3, and a RADEON video card, we build with nvidia/intel at work, we proved the RADEON/AMD setups were more COST EFFECTIVE and more STABLE as well as BETTER PERFORMANCE than nvidia. I would never EVER build a machine unless it was a AMD with VAI/<nforce3 chipset and RADEON card for as long as im at the top of my game. nvidia's moto ...."lets build a cpu ... a decent cpu ... ok well we cant do that so lets stick a extra halfmb of cache onit" ..."ok it still sucks but lets say its hmmm .. hyper thread techology thats good.... doesnt do crap but it sounds good" and then we can tell microshaft to tell their customers that longhorn is super fast cos of super-prefetch technology, supported by intel of course, (which exists in windows xp) ... and ohh yea nvida/intel ... i think the ceo's share the same prostitute.... imo you pay £50 extra cos you buy Nike ... pay $50 less and you buy addidas where you get the same performance and better customer service, just less people have it.

Remember x64 version of windows xp was BUILT for AMD cpu's to utilise their technology to better other OS's in performance in large data file handling... namely mac's, to recharge that end of the market, why did they choose AMD? Because nvidia wasnt upto the job. Will nvidia be producing video chipsets for microsofts consoles from now on? ... rest my case ... giv flames ... sorry about that rant had a bad few days. :eek6:

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
AMD CPU
nVidia Chipset
nVidia GPU

FreeBSD (and other unix/linux distros) + nvidia cards = *ohh dear think someone spilt coffee on my GPU" :touch:

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
In all honesty im just dunk and am a amd/radeon fanboy ... wheres my last can at :eek2:

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
DirtyDiana said:
lol no chance, seriously what you want is a AMD CPU! a VAI chipset ... unless you HAVE to go nvidia and then its got to be at LEAST nforce 3, and a RADEON video card, we build with nvidia/intel at work, we proved the RADEON/AMD setups were more COST EFFECTIVE and more STABLE as well as BETTER PERFORMANCE than nvidia. I would never EVER build a machine unless it was a AMD with VAI/<nforce3 chipset and RADEON card for as long as im at the top of my game. nvidia's moto ...."lets build a cpu ... a decent cpu ... ok well we cant do that so lets stick a extra halfmb of cache onit" ..."ok it still sucks but lets say its hmmm .. hyper thread techology thats good.... doesnt do crap but it sounds good" and then we can tell microshaft to tell their customers that longhorn is super fast cos of super-prefetch technology, supported by intel of course, (which exists in windows xp) ... and ohh yea nvida/intel ... i think the ceo's share the same prostitute.... imo you pay £50 extra cos you buy Nike ... pay $50 less and you buy addidas where you get the same performance and better customer service, just less people have it.

Remember x64 version of windows xp was BUILT for AMD cpu's to utilise their technology to better other OS's in performance in large data file handling... namely mac's, to recharge that end of the market, why did they choose AMD? Because nvidia wasnt upto the job. Will nvidia be producing video chipsets for microsofts consoles from now on? ... rest my case ... giv flames ... sorry about that rant had a bad few days. :eek6:

Imo, truely a load of crap, but to anyone it's own I think. Anyway, as I bolded out, and you said, nvidia's motto, build a cpu??? nvidia builds GPU's chipsets, various other supporting chips (as network stuff etc) and they make software. And for as far as I'm concerned.. they do a pretty damn good job in that. I've never ever had a problem with my nvidia drivers on linux, and I (for the most part) used the pre-build drivers from the nvidia site. It used to take a bit of tingling to get it installed right, and on some occations I had to build from source, but now since they crossed to unified driver architecture .sh files... it's easy as eating a pancake... only thing you now still have to do is change your X11 config file. manual to do that is also on the nvidia site..

[edit] and ohw... I do have a NVIDIA® nForce3 250Gb Chipset
before this mobo, I had a mobo with a via chipset... which worked perfectly for what it was designed for, but it didn't even support temperature readouts...

DirtyDiana

Fledgling Freddie
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
Imo, truely a load of crap, but to anyone it's own I think. Anyway, as I bolded out, and you said, nvidia's motto, build a cpu??? nvidia builds GPU's chipsets, various other supporting chips (as network stuff etc) and they make software. And for as far as I'm concerned.. they do a pretty damn good job in that. I've never ever had a problem with my nvidia drivers on linux, and I (for the most part) used the pre-build drivers from the nvidia site. It used to take a bit of tingling to get it installed right, and on some occations I had to build from source, but now since they crossed to unified driver architecture .sh files... it's easy as eating a pancake... only thing you now still have to do is change your X11 config file. manual to do that is also on the nvidia site..

[edit] and ohw... I do have a NVIDIA® nForce3 250Gb Chipset
before this mobo, I had a mobo with a via chipset... which worked perfectly for what it was designed for, but it didn't even support temperature readouts...

I ment intel when i said nvidia in term of "lets build a cpu" ... typo .. like i said too much to drink, bad day ... and im a amd/radeon fan boy ... each to their own, as i said i work with intel/nvida and my job is to fix the problems so i only ever see problems, i use amd/radeon at home, but thats because i use the alternative at work. Each to their own, my adivice to anyone who isnt in the know or doesnt have a preferance is use your 15 day return policy, try ... if you dont like it take it back. Until you find the setup thats right for you.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
DirtyDiana said:

VIA chipsets are utter crap compared to nforce 3/4 chipsets.

Radeon cards are just as good nvidia, i just prefer nvidia, better performance? eh series 6 geforce cards are amazing and better than ATI's current range in all price ranges except upto 800XT and 800XTPE.Then again now you have 7800GTX out which is the best card you can buy.

AMD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>INTEL cpu's BY FAR for games, they have around 20% performance increase in fps in majority of current new games.For other uses then the intel cpu may be ahead but as for games no chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom