Looking for a new car

Vae

Resident Freddy
I've had a licence for about 8 years but not driven for most of them. However a car would now come in useful so I'm looking.

Criteria:
5 seats (2+2 sounds nice to me but wouldn't be practical :( ) and pref 4/5 door.
Probably aiming for spending under 3K.
I live in SW London so any answers specific to this area would be great.

Anyone got any recommendations for where to look? Ebay, Autotrader or use a local dealer?

Also any recommendations for reliable makes/models?

Basicly any advice welcome :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Cos of all the discounting on new cars these days you can get some seriously class metal for under 3k these days. It really depends what you're after. You mention a 2 + 2 would sound nice yet wouldn't be practical, some kind of hot hatch might suit you. If you wanted to go down this route I'm sure you could find a nice Golf GTI/VR6, I only mention the Golf cos I can't think of any other 5 door hot hatches.

If otoh you want something a bit more mundane and sensible, the normal Golf/Focus/Astra route should find you some quality buys.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My vote would be with an older Focus, under £3000 isn't going to buy you very much in the "reliable" stakes. It may be reliable, but that doesn't mean "won't need big repairs at some stage".

Something like this?

Ebay and autotrader are always good for cars, but remember you always pay your money and take your chances on a private sale. Always, ALWAYS do an HPI check. My mate was going to buy one without doing it because he loved the car so much, but eventually he did after I badgered him - turns out there was a mileage discrepancy, it had done over 200k miles but was showing ~47k.

Google for second hand car buying tips, always take a second person with you to have a good look round the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom