Locking bumped old threads-

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
So the teenage-mom thread was locked, Why you ask? coz the mods didn't like old threads being bumped. My question is tho - why didn't you like it being bumped? does it matter if a point was made 1 year ago? or 20 years ago? isn't it still valid or does your opinion become invalid after 360+ days? -.- weather or not the person who bumped it did the right thing it started a discussion that is still relavant so i dont see why you should lock a thread like that :/

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Generally the idea is to stop really old threads from being bumped for no good reason, ie someone posting "lol k" or "i liked school. :p" as evidenced in another thread, since it just knocks down other more current threads needlessly.

If the reply has direct relevance to the original post, the result of a court case for example, which can take a long while to resolve, then it's less likely to be locked automatically since the discussion can actually be carried on in the same vein, although it would be fine to leave the old thread to rest and create a new thread in it's place to discuss said news.

I can't see the thread you've mentioned so not in a position to give my opinion on it, though it was likely the first reason i mentioned above :)

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Why? Because people are too dumb to see the date beside posts, so reply to a point made 6months (or whatever) ago as if it was made 5minutes earlier.

Start a new thread, link to the original one if you feel like it: makes it easier for the hard of thinking around here.

Will

/bin/su
The thread had not had a post since 31/05/05, and then was bumped with this shit post. Then people start arguing with points people made almost a year ago. It never leads to any productive discussion.

If you want to reopen a debate, starting a new thread, linking to the old thread if you want, but starting the discussion again, is fine. Bumping ancient threads gets on my nerves. I left it for a lot longer than usual before I locked it, and it just reminded me why I did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom