Llyn Barfog, Dartmoor and HotC..... Why??

C

cHodAX

Guest
Is it just me or do the old 'Epic' mob areas and the 'frontier' dungeons seem totally pointless. You very rarely see people exping in any of them and the loot is worthless since spellcrafting. Surely it is long overdue that Mythic reworked all the drops from the older 'Epic' mobs and actually gave people an incentive to visit these areas again. It must be 6 months since I have been to Llyn Barfog and no one exps thier unless they are solo artists at low levels. HotC has a stupid layout, random aggro from the other side of the dungeon, that stupid 2 hour disease and crappy drops. Can anyone explain to me why they even made the damn thing? While I am at it, what the hell is the point of the 'Green Knight'? In general people say he is pointless killing because he drops rubbish items or at least average items. I just can't understand what Mythic is thinking when they implement these new features/areas and the impact it will have on the older areas. So is it just me who feels like this? :)
 
O

old.Baritone

Guest
Yup your right im afraid Chodax, Its a shame really i used to love a good Barfog/Dartmoor run:(

Oh and i like your title your worship:p
 
G

Gimly

Guest
GK still like to hunt these areas, normaly find us there once a month. The drops are crap for the level 50s of the guild but not bad for the 40+, plus they are a nice challenge and a good excuse for the guild to go out on a hunt together.

I agree with you though I remember a time when Ellylls used to be camped 24/7 as the drops where seen to be great but not any more :(

Also think they should think about giving the drops in DF (Princes / highlords) a little boost along with the Dragon.
 
O

old.linnet

Guest
They still are fun places to hunt.

But it's true about the drops (although you get a ton of stuff to salvage and nice coin from Dartmoor) -- but isn't that why they are trying to add more glowy items to DM and reduce the giants' aggro range a bit in future patches? And adding realm respec stones to the summoners to try to encourage people into the RvR dungeons ...
 
B

bulge

Guest
Originally posted on the Herald 1.62 notes
Epic zones revisited

In a continuing effort to revitalize under-utilized areas of the game, we have revisited the three zones that contain the original dragons. After evaluating all three, we are adding new AI for all the existing named mobs to increase the variety of encounters in the zone, and tweaking the Dartmoor and Sheeroe Hills zones so they will hopefully have as much appeal for players in those realms as Malmohus has for Midgard players. In order to do this, we have decreased the scout range of all scout mobs in each zone. This should allow players to navigate the zone easier and lower the chances of having mobs aggro from distances that are too far for players to deal with. We have also lowered the spawn times of some generators that were spawning faster than players were able to reliably deal with.
They've put some Elyll and whatnot in Barfog but its still a zone you only go to to kill the epics.

Perhaps they ought to put a big island in the middle of the lake or something. Still needs work there.

Never been to HoC, didnt bother after hearing about the daft aggro and drop quality which says something in itself.....
 
T

tris-

Guest
barfog is good for the toad drops. HotC has good drops, made probably 2 plats selling items from there in a week or so.
 
C

cHodAX

Guest
Originally posted by old.Baritone
Yup your right im afraid Chodax, Its a shame really i used to love a good Barfog/Dartmoor run:(

Oh and i like your title your worship:p
Thankyou Lord Baritone, you are always welcome in my topics with that attitude. Live long!
 
C

cHodAX

Guest
Originally posted by n3wbie
barfog is good for the toad drops. HotC has good drops, made probably 2 plats selling items from there in a week or so.
You must admit, the aggro in HotC is just barmy. The first time I went there with a group we were attacked by over 15 mobs at once, if not for good CC and realm abilites it would have been a wipeout for sure. The 15 was not the problem so much as that they came from EVERY direction and just kept coming, so casters were getting kicked to crap constantly. Nasty nasty please. I love Llyn Barfog but I just can't see any reason to go, if I want to make money I can goto DF for seals or caldey and farm undead for Netherium/Arcanium drops.
 
C

Cavex ElSaviour

Guest
got a very nice resist cloak in hotc, had 3 types of 7% resists on them.

unique drop btw.
 
B

Balbor

Guest
Our guild did a HoTC hunt a few months ago and got the Royal Arcane Great Sword a L50 2-handed swor (drop off Lady Dara) that while looked ok and had a 35% bonus had very pour stats (Str+7, 2 handed +3, Spirit 8%) and was only 92% quality. Given the fact the proc only work for L50s i do not see why anyone wound want to use this.

All they really need to do is increase the quality and stats of the LB/DM drops so that they would be almost impossible to sc. If the epic mobs always droped 98%+ gear they would become a lot more attracive all of a sudden. After all, all L50s have access to 100% quality armour.

And while on the suject of pointless drops, all of a sudden the old DAoC drops look like no more than scrap for a would be crafter. Its about time the old 89% quality was increased to seeing as its the only real option for new player that will head off to the BG to face people SCed gear characters.
 
C

Cavex ElSaviour

Guest
exping in the midgard or hibernia versoin is nic etoo. only a few things agro there and if you have a pally (for nonstop farming) and a misntrel (just to get there) then you can get a very nice exp rate.

+ ofc the small chance to run into small grps of middies/hibbies
 
C

cHodAX

Guest
Yep RoG drops off higher level mobs tend to have a higher than average UV, the problem is getting past all the damn random aggro to get to the Purples.
 
S

stroopwafel

Guest
it's just silly that those annoying innocents are aggro in HoC, but not in DG

makes it pointless for an alb to go there without someone with 7 mending :\
 
E

Edaudric

Guest
Originally posted by old.cHodAX
Is it just me or do the old 'Epic' mob areas and the 'frontier' dungeons seem totally pointless. You very rarely see people exping in any of them and the loot is worthless since spellcrafting. Surely it is long overdue that Mythic reworked all the drops from the older 'Epic' mobs and actually gave people an incentive to visit these areas again. It must be 6 months since I have been to Llyn Barfog and no one exps thier unless they are solo artists at low levels. HotC has a stupid layout, random aggro from the other side of the dungeon, that stupid 2 hour disease and crappy drops. Can anyone explain to me why they even made the damn thing? While I am at it, what the hell is the point of the 'Green Knight'? In general people say he is pointless killing because he drops rubbish items or at least average items. I just can't understand what Mythic is thinking when they implement these new features/areas and the impact it will have on the older areas. So is it just me who feels like this? :)
Some things excist for roleplaying purposes. Proabbly especially the Green Knight.
I found him very fascinating. He was really tall, like a giant, and I kind of felt safe around him. And he's an Avalonian! Avalonians are nice.
Brings juice to Sauvage :)
 
T

tris-

Guest
Originally posted by old.cHodAX
You must admit, the aggro in HotC is just barmy. The first time I went there with a group we were attacked by over 15 mobs at once, if not for good CC and realm abilites it would have been a wipeout for sure. The 15 was not the problem so much as that they came from EVERY direction and just kept coming, so casters were getting kicked to crap constantly. Nasty nasty please. I love Llyn Barfog but I just can't see any reason to go, if I want to make money I can goto DF for seals or caldey and farm undead for Netherium/Arcanium drops.
well isnt that part of the fun? soon we will be wanting the dragon to have 0 AF 1 hp and does -300000 dmg on every hit :p
 
C

cHodAX

Guest
I can see what you mean but why did Albion get the worst of the 3 frontier dungeons? Lower level players can not exp there unlike the Hib/Mid dungoens, the 2 hour disease is just sickening because if you have no cleric you are stuffed. You need at least 1fg to reach any mobs red or above. The whole place is just a disaster. I am not against dungeons and mobs being hard to kill but the level of lunacy required to create HotC is sickening.
 
E

Edaudric

Guest
Originally posted by Sissyfoo
I thought he was an elf? :)
Well, I'm a small briton so I didn't get a good look at him.
Avalonians and Elves share same hight and body anyways :)
 
L

legot

Guest
Originally posted by old.cHodAX
why did Albion get the worst of the 3 frontier dungeons?
Somebody had to I guess,or it's a sinister plot to make sure we avoid going anywhere near hadriens wall.
 
H

Heffer

Guest
Me and Asori go the barfog now and then just to farm epic mobs between us for fun :)

gets yer out tha 'ouse dunit!

btw Maxgirth PM me ingame if you read this i got a nice epic merc bow for Minimax :D
 
Y

Yussef

Guest
Its hard to balance a difficulty of a mob against the rewards they drop, LB mobs are able to be duo'd mainly, should they be dropping the best gear? Utility wise, LB drops have massive points, but the quality and balance suck. Grand Summoner is similar, he drops an awesome cloak but requires ~FG, thats why it's so rare, yeah it sucks but if everyone was running around with the best gear it would be boring.

Then again, epic dungeons are pretty easy to farm also, so its always a double edged sword unless you need a massive zerg to kill something. Although are they dropping enough etc? Yes Mythic do need to work on their items. Who would try to exp in a frontier dungeon in all seriousness? If you want to exp, dungeons that are PvP free are the best, thats why I feel they itemised it with unique items, for high levels to farm jewelery.

Or something.
 
M

maxgirth

Guest
Originally posted by Heffer
Me and Asori go the barfog now and then just to farm epic mobs between us for fun :)

gets yer out tha 'ouse dunit!

btw Maxgirth PM me ingame if you read this i got a nice epic merc bow for Minimax :D
Will do, ta m8ty:).
 
M

maxgirth

Guest
It`s also time epic quest rewards came into line with what else is on offer.

I done minimax`s 40th yesterday, roughly 280 million xp, which is no more than 7-8 shredder pulls, yet took about 1.5 hours to do, plus the weapon which is no better than a letter opener really.

SI quests yield about 5 bubs of xp at level 49 and some fantastic items, in comparison is the time spent and xp/items gained for doing the 43/45/48 epics really worth it?.
 
O

old.windforce

Guest
needed 14 hours to get to 45 epic and that yielded me 1,6 bub of exp at level 49

fyi i was 49.4 in 8 days played

exp for epics is greatly overrated. i can get 1,6 bub of exp in 1 hour in the sewers

my mistake i guess
 
C

Coffeus

Guest
Still enjoy a quick run round Barfog with a few clerics and a mincer. Items are still ok for people in that 45-50 bracket who cant afford SC'd gear
 
B

Balbor

Guest
taken from the 1.62 notes

All frontier zones have been itemized using the Unique Object Generator system. All monsters killed in all frontier zones will now drop loot.

i know unique items can be really silly and pointless, but since they were improved i've found a few useful bits, including a chain vest that i use over my Cleric Epic one.
 
M

maxgirth

Guest
Originally posted by Balbor
taken from the 1.62 notes



i know unique items can be really silly and pointless, but since they were improved i've found a few useful bits, including a chain vest that i use over my Cleric Epic one.
Some can be absolute beauties.

Adroit Ring:- Con 10 pts
Qui 12 pts
Dex 15 pts
Hits 29
 
M

Moth Twiceborn

Guest
I agree with Max - I got a bracer from Avalon City with +4 slash, +4 shield on it. And I think some thrust resist.
 
I

ilaya

Guest
HoTC is a piece off piss. If u are pulling 15 mobs at a time u are doing something very, very badly wrong. Soloed there many a time with my champ on Hib/Exc (best place for exp on server there btw and therefore pl).

Think SI has taken the unique drop aspect away really, but until that happened i, for one, used to practically live there. the UP on some items was crazy.. but its not just that u know.. its the fact that ANYTHING that drops COULD be UBER!. stuff the usual crap and take a chance to be better than the rest peeps.. go to places like HoTC and dont take the so called easy option.

I will certainly take my alb chars to places like this when they are ready for it.. i never did like the so-called standard way of levelling in hib (Exc)

Makes u a better player overall too if u try different things.. try to kill EVERYTHING at lvl 50 or u wont know just what u are capable of.

Never ever discount somewhere just because other people dont go there. dont be sheep. :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

K
Replies
5
Views
829
old.Bubble
O
J
Replies
5
Views
525
Gimly
G
A
Replies
2
Views
524
accollon
A
C
Replies
4
Views
475
bulge
B
R
Replies
8
Views
841
chimaira
C
Top Bottom