Live8

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I sit here amazed.

I remember it vividly from 20years ago with Michael Burke showing the world the plight in Africa, today has brought back those images like I only saw them yesterday.

The artists, the music, the passion. Music does make a difference and today has shown it.

Anyway, time to go.

sayward

Resident Freddy
What a social whirl you lead! You can't be that old!

Tilda

Been watching it on TV all day, it is absolutly amazing.
The counter on the stage, showing how many people signed up online, started at about 1 million or so thismorning, its gone up to over 2 billion!

Robby and Madonna were just astounding, as was travis, i wish i'd got organised enough to txt for tickets.

Highly cool!

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I knew they would be amazing but I still have goose bumps from The Who. Legends! A bit pissed off they didn't do Baba O'Reilly but still gob smacked by their performance.

Madonna(who I don't like) was very good as was the fellow Stokey Robbie Williams.

But...oh my god.....The Who....don't make them like that anymore.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Aye,

The Who and Pink Floyd.

I kneel before the masters......

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
2 words.

Absofuckinglutely amazing!!!

mank!

Part of the furniture
That was incredible, Pink Floyd were simply superb and I enjoyed the whole thing.

I can't understand how people can be so apathetic and cynical towards an event like this, it's beyond my comprehension. Anybody who criticises ANYTHING that has been achieved today is a complete fucking ****.

Let's hope the G8 leaders have taken notice.

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
Well, it's not going to achieve much so I don't see why I'm being a complete fucking ****

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Can we keep the taunting out of this please?

Great day, great event, hopefuly some good will come from it :drink:

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
Moving Target said:
Well, it's not going to achieve much so I don't see why I'm being a complete fucking ****
it already has achieved something. 1 million spectators, 2 billion viewers were able to watch the concert. 2 billion people are now concious about what's going on in Africa and the fact that changes have to be made.
The fact that we're talking about it now is already a change, considering hayfever was the discussion just a week ago. I don't think this will end poverty, but it's a small start anyway.

u2 was cool by the way, loved Sir Paul too ofc, 62 and still going!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes, keep on topic. No name calling please, I know i am a ****, what's new?

Anyway, the awareness factor HAS increased regardless of what has happened. Let's wait and see.

Even if it fails to persuade the G8 wankers in Edinburgh IT HAS brought the world closer to a united front against poverty regardless.

If you wanna flame me, pm me. Most go to /dev/null so :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I found it amusing that so many celebs were saying "together we really can make poverty a thing of the past". I'm sorry, this is all good stuff but christ - are they dense or just trying to get in to the spirit of things?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Pink Floyd were Great. As they always have been.

As far as the rest of it, well, i probably have some different and less idealistic views to most of you on here, so frankly Ill just stfu.

And say again.

Pink Floyd were great. It warmed my heart :D

JBP|

Part of the furniture
The aim of Live 8 i believe was to raise public awareness of the situation in Africa.

I am still at a loss as to how the wiping out of third world debt is going to...

a]Remove corrupt leaders from power.

b]Cure half the population of Africa from AIDS.

c]Educate people to a standard where they are able to look after themselvs.

d]Make it rain on a regular basis.

Maybe im missing something?

Funny how they didnt mention Dafur or the impending famin in Ethiopia or whats going on in Zimbabwe

Embattle

FH is my second home
Watched bits of it, although technically if such things actually worked then Live 8 wouldn't of been needed, or the other events that have happened between Live Aid and Live 8.....although I do realise that the purpose of Live 8 is slightly different, more to raise awareness than to raise money which to an extent it has done.

Next week is likely to be a mixed bag, at the G8, but in reality the whole thing will end on a slightly duff note.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Call me cynical, but I doubt it will change anything tbh, apart from sell a few more albums.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
It was done in the right spirit, but It has only made people aware of G8, something that otherwise would of been ignored. I am all for helping these countries out but there is a shitload of corruption in Africa.

Nigeria is an oil producing country not to mention its gold. Chad(fifth largest African country) is rich in gold and uranium. I bet the people who run those countries aren't starving...if you get what I mean.

Look whats happening with that other geezer in Zimbabwe, how is that any different than Iraq? I will tell you what is different....theres no oil to be gained if Bush sends his troops in.

Live 8 was a special event but I really doubt that it will make any difference in the minds of the pig headed politicians. I hope it does.....but it won't, and if it does they will just say they were going to do it way before Live 8.

:(

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Don't look too deep into it.

What a truly amazing gig, I was blown away. I was thinking "oh god, this isn't going to be good" but it was simply brilliant. Call me gay, but I even though Craig David's acoustic set was superb.

Fanny-fucking-tastic.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah ignoring everything else it was a great concert, something for everyone.

And I only watched a few hours.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Pink Floyd were great.

Have I said that already ? :)

JPB, I agree with you .

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I'm 21 so know nothing of Floyd / The Who from their prime. I didnt like their songs but they did play well. I wont be signing the live8 petition, if more people live then the current people who die hungry will just be fighting for more food?

I'm sure Geldof will shift a few more albums now too...

I hate The Office but I like how Gervais gets away with advertising his own stuff like his new series :D

I was surprised that most bands were good at singing live too.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
It would be naíve to suggest that the artists that played (for free) wouldn't expect to see sales increase as a result of some stonking performances.

A free gig, a free plug for a good awareness cause.

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
Tareregion said:
it already has achieved something. 1 million spectators, 2 billion viewers were able to watch the concert. 2 billion people are now concious about what's going on in Africa and the fact that changes have to be made.

Oh yes look, the poverty is already disappearing! The only reason people went was to see lots of famous bands at one venue, I doubt they're really doing anything to get rid of poverty. These celebrities with millions of pounds cramming sickly sweet messages down my throat just makes it all worse.

rynnor

Rockhound
It was a good concert (and they even tacked on one in the west country for african artists when people made a fuss!) but I'm not sure about this 'awareness' stuff - everyone who has more than three brain cells knows africa has problems but those with more than five braincells have to wonder how a concert makes it any different.

If we had a concert for a man burning to death we could then all be aware of it but I'm not convinced that the man would consider this a big improvement?

Say we cancel all african debt - does this mean they will spend all the saved money on schools/hospitals etc? some will some wont - some will spend the money on weapons and some will go into offshore bank accounts siphoned off by corrupt governments.

Is money the only problem in africa? no its not - there are wars, aids , genocide and inter-racial hatreds.

In the end it is africa that will sort itself out - if we intervene we are guilty of paternalism - we should allow them access to our markets and let them compete fairly and then stand back and hope it works out.

The alternative approach is to send in the troops and force them to live as we would wish, you can look at Iraq/Afghanistan to see how well that approach works...

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
Call me gay, but I even though Craig David's acoustic set was superb.

Oh christ, you really really are :\

Users who are viewing this thread