little pala question

liloe

It's my birthday today!
hiho =) I recently started to play Paladin (not on Excalibur, I'm an evil hibbi there, but on Orcanie) and so I'd like to know which is a grp only! spec.
First I thought of going 5 parry, 44 slash, 42 shield, 49 chants (with full auto train slash/chants till 48 that is), but then it came to my mind, that 50 shield would be nice so I thought of 8 parry, 34 slash, 50 shield, 49 chants and would like to know wether this would be nice or not. I'm not an alb pro ofc, but I thought he dmg doesn't really come from a pala, so why not go full defence. Btw, you can't change me from going 49 chants =) I fixed my mind on that.

Now onwards to RA's. Are Avoid Pain and Ignore Pain a good deal or rather useless? If one of them is not good.....what else to spend points on (well purge and Faith Heal ofc, but what else I mean).

Would be nice of a few pala's give me answer who like to run in fg's only. Orcanie is a very small server and I think the idea of this new group (for which I wanna lvl pala) is to run around just on our own =)

I really hope I get some answers with facts ofc, plz =) I don't like things like: that's always been done this way, but nobody knows why =))

P.S. for every good answer I will cast one less insta DD on your healers or will send pet on tanks :p

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
If your insisting on 49 chants, then 49 chants, 42 shield, mix the slash and parry to taste, but keep in mind that dual weilders will halve your chance to block with the shield so Parry is still good to have, and your not expected to do real damage, specially if you plan to be support spec so high slash is not a priority. Chances are you will hit harder with slam then you will with sword anyway.

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Theres really no reason to go above 48 in Chants. 49 is only the last matter resist, which you'll most likely never use (tri-resists are much more useful, and they come at 44 and 46 Chants)

So, I'd recommend either:

48 Chants, 50 Shield, 29 Slash, rest Parry
or
48 Chants, 42 Shield, 39 Slash, rest Parry

You could also consider sacrificing some of the Parry to raise Slash. More weaponskill will make it easier for you to land Slams.

For RA's, FH and Purge are the priorities, followed by some passives to boost your defence and damage (Aug Dex, MoBlock, Aug Str, MoPain, MoParry, Aug Con, Toughness). IP and AP are luxuries for when you're high RR.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I think tests ahve shown that your wpn spec does not affect chances to land slam.

Well first of all thx for the answers till now =) Seems everybody agrees that dmg dealing is not primary concern so I think 50 shield will do the thing, if not other replies make me think again =)

EDIT: Kagato, your signature rox =))

Trubble

Fledgling Freddie
You will usually need to run end chant most, so you will only get your AF chant when you twist it in. Often it will just be easier to get AF buf from your cleric.

So with that in mind, you should consider stopping chants at 46. That will leave more for parry, and your AF chant will still be decent if you need it.

My vote for good pve paladin: 50 shield, 46 chants, 29 slash, 19 parry.
If you want good rvr paladin: 50 shield, 42 chants, 39 slash, 6 parry.

The rvr spec is also usefull in pve, as well as the pve is usefull in rvr, so you are not limiting yourself to only doing pve or rvr. Its just a matter of optimizing your spec.

I have not taken autotraining into account.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
liloe said:
I think tests ahve shown that your wpn spec does not affect chances to land slam.

Well first of all thx for the answers till now =) Seems everybody agrees that dmg dealing is not primary concern so I think 50 shield will do the thing, if not other replies make me think again =)

EDIT: Kagato, your signature rox =))

won't affect your chances to "not miss" with slam..

higher weapon skill = less blocks/parries/evades from the enemy, so yes it does affect your chances to land it.

(and for some reason offence with shield uses the main hand weaponskill for calculating blockability)

Saevus

Fledgling Freddie
Trubble said:
You will usually need to run end chant most, so you will only get your AF chant when you twist it in. Often it will just be easier to get AF buf from your cleric.

So with that in mind, you should consider stopping chants at 46. That will leave more for parry, and your AF chant will still be decent if you need it.

My vote for good pve paladin: 50 shield, 46 chants, 29 slash, 19 parry.
If you want good rvr paladin: 50 shield, 42 chants, 39 slash, 6 parry.

The rvr spec is also usefull in pve, as well as the pve is usefull in rvr, so you are not limiting yourself to only doing pve or rvr. Its just a matter of optimizing your spec.

I have not taken autotraining into account.

imo 50 shields isn't worth it, it's 4% more chance to block and the style isn't worth it either. Better save those points for chants/parry/slash.

bult

Loyal Freddie
for rvr the best specc is imo 50 shield 42 chants 39 slash

Morlantis

Fledgling Freddie
My current paladin is :

15 parry
39 slash
42 shield
48 chants

Realy wish id autotrained and got the ..

50 Slash
42 chants
42 Shield

Rhirap

Fledgling Freddie
the guy said he is sticking with 49 chants, so how about

49 chants
50 shield (or 42 if you want more parry and slam)
29 slash
rest Parry

that way ure not doing the worst dmg ever, you get amy slash, full/high shield with Slam, decent parry, and keep ure 49 chants.

Rhi

Robin the Brave

One of Freddy's beloved
With Full Autotrain of Slash/Chants your best spec would be..

39 Slash, 50 Shield, 46 Chants, rest parry.. love that spec wish i only knew about autotrain when i started :(

Btw if you didnt know, 49 Chants is a resist buff.. which doesnt stack with cleric resists and its a chant, so when you're mezzed the group will lose that resist :p

48 Chants is a nice AF chant, however it doesnt stack with Cleric Spec-AF and again if you are mezzed or stunned it wont be helping your group.

46 Chants is a nice Damage Add which stacks with EB etc so that helps to make up for the pathetic damage of the paladin :p

For RAs... FH, Purge, Aug Dex 2, MoB 1 - 5, after that FA/IP | Aug Con3/AP is a luxury.

Rhirap

Fledgling Freddie
regardless of what 49 chants gives, the guy has already said he IS going 49 chants, so why keep giving him templates with 46, 48 or whatever? he wants 49 chants......whether its worth it or not is down to him, but he specifically said

Btw, you can't change me from going 49 chants =) I fixed my mind on that.

so if ure gonna post about 46 chants, 48 chants or whatever, at least post something with 49 chants too, thats what he is looking for.

EDIT: substitute all male refernces for female refernces where appropriate ;)

Robin the Brave

One of Freddy's beloved
Rhirap said:
regardless of what 49 chants gives, the guy has already said he IS going 49 chants, so why keep giving him templates with 46, 48 or whatever? he wants 49 chants......whether its worth it or not is down to him, but he specifically said

so if ure gonna post about 46 chants, 48 chants or whatever, at least post something with 49 chants too, thats what he is looking for.

EDIT: substitute all male refernces for female refernces where appropriate ;)

liloe said:
hiho =) I recently started to play Paladin (not on Excalibur, I'm an evil hibbi there, but on Orcanie)

However Liloe is a hib and may not know that the chants dont always stack, therefore making 49 chants a waste of points,

Liloe asked for a good/best spec and people gave their opinons, i would have given a spec with 49 chants in it.. but catacombs was down :p

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I'm really thankful for all the replies and you made me change my opinion =) I'll go for 50 shield, 48 chants (if I cannot stand auto-train any longer I'll lower to 46), 34 slash, 13 parry (8 without auto-train).

I did the test myself (before I read here) and yer....AF chant not stacking with the cleric one is kinda bad, makes it a bit useless when running with 2 clerics (and that's without bb's).

Wub you all =)) Now it's time to PL faster with necro...I'll never go through grouping again....especially as auto-trainer :p

to the Edit Rhirap: yes, "guy" is right =)) (although for some strange reason, I play female chars more often....must be due to my start in RPG's where I played cute Woodelf ranger :) )

Rhirap

Fledgling Freddie
bah now i feel like a n00b :p just emphasising the point you WONT change from 49 chants, then you do ;) oh well, if u need anything, just PM me in game, always happy to help

Rhi

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Pally eh?

Well teh only pally spec i know is 39 slash, 42 shield, 48 chants, and rest parry. Seems it is the most common spec to. Well i dont quite understand why you wonna go 49 chants? explain plz =)

Gl ingame enyway :clap:

liloe

It's my birthday today!
oh ye....I also posted something similar on my guild forums and for some strange reason I forgot to add here, that I'll only change my mind about 49 chants for VERY good reason, forgot that here, my fault =)

The original reason was, that having everything in purp simply looks good and I truly didn't know where else to put the points in, so I pretty fixed my mind on the "all-purp" idea =)

no need to feel like a noob Rhirap =) but pm'ing your IG will be pretty hard as I play Hibernia on Excalibur =) and my Paladin is on Orcanie (know some guys there from good old beta). So if I ever have any other question, I'll feel free to hijack this board again :)

so again: :wub: =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom