Linux Desktops

B

bids

Of all the Linux desktops out there, in your experience which is the best balance between looks and resources. Gnome and KDE take up huge amounts of RAM (on my Redhat and Mandrake machines anyways). I have just installed Mandrake on a 500 Mhz, 256 Mb machine, and it crawls with Gnome and KDE - there must be one that is lean on RAM, but still looks cool ?

S

Shocko

A big list of WMs can be found here, however there's alot there, so you'd proberbly be best checking out the popular ones.

WindowMaker is popular, however i never liked it; It has a nextstep style interface. AfterStep is also very popular, allthough it's less refined. I used it for a month or so, and i thought it was quite good tbh. All the stuff has to be configured through a whole load of differant config files though :)

Enlightenment is meant ot be good, however it has a repuation of being bloated, and i didn't see much in it. BlackBox is really resource efficient, and very popular... I use it, and my desktop can be found here. There's a huge range of WMs, and most of them will be far more resource efficient than KDE or GNOME... Take your pick i guess :)

T

Testin da Cable

oho that looks pretty fun. as I'm reinstalling I may as well give it a shot :)

T

Testin da Cable

oh duh. forgot to backup my email. *slaps self*

Users who are viewing this thread