Linux & Daoc

Buffer

Fledgling Freddie
I am wondering if anyone else is using Daoc on Linux, and if so wether they might be able to help solve a few problems I am having. Nothing game breaking just annoying/irritating

Setup is:-
hardware:
nvidia fx5200/128mb (nvidia driver x86-1.0-6629)
amd 1.13
ac97 sound(onboard)

Enviroment:
fedora 3
kernel 2.6.9-1.681_FC3
KDE 3.3.1-2.2(redhat)
ext3 filesystem
All seetings in the cedega/wine config set as standard unless modified below

Xserver is set as default at 1280x1024, depth 24

disabled prelinking
set env var (export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1)
set pixel shading in cedega config to N (~/.transgaming/config file) crashes if not set
set winver to "win2000" in same config file, for cleaner quit(locks, forced todo killall otherwise) tried winxp setting as well

Current state:
non-play effect:-
update check is very slow, can be bypassed by calling login.dll instead of camelot.exe.
Char selection screen, no text for chars or images of chars, except for selected char on right
char can be selected by clicking on approx position on left hand side of screen
options>keyboard config no text is displayed, but items can be selected by clicking, quit is bottom left
Zoning sometimes crashs/freeze(house zone to other areas mainly)
Logging out/quiting seems to set desktop to the last resolution of game(ie 1024x768 real desktop, virtual desktop 1280x1024, scrolling desktop), can be worked around(killall wine, within game).
A quit from char selection screen, doesn't exit unless u press escape, see real/virtual desktop.
A quit from within the game itself doesnt always quit but freezes when it should quit.

play-effect:-
when running(manual) if you try to change direction, your char stops, you have to turn then start running(maybe alter kb config?)

Otherwise seems to run ok. Anyone with any ideas?

Buffer

Fledgling Freddie
Boomeruk said:
ye

instal xp and dual boot :x

Helpful and soooooooo witty.
If you havent got any useful advice, then dont reply thanks.

Gamah

Banned
Boomer never has anything usefull to say its his way as a cocktard. :cheers:

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, DAoC is enough of a system hog as it is now. Running it using an emulator (WineX/Wine, I assume) will only make things worse.

Don't get me wrong though, I hope that you find a solution to these problems, it's an interesting expirement, but, not a replacement for DAoC on Windows in my eyes.

The crashes may be related to the fact that DAoC does an insane amount of swapping during the zoneloads, something that causes LD's for a lot of people on Windows Machines too. Might I ask where you keep the files? (like, on what filesystem?)

As for the resolution thing, I suggest that you report this as a bug to WineX. It may have something to do with the fact that you start camelot.exe or login.dll, whereas it's game.dll that sets the resolution. Just a hunch.

Buffer

Fledgling Freddie
The game itself is installed using Cedega(wineX) on an ext3 drive, in my home directory, in the path that cedega uses for c:/ (~/.transgaming/c_drive/)

As for it being a system hog/running under winex/cedega i havent really noticed that much difference between windows/linux. As you said its an exercise rather than its something i must do.

You maybe right about the zone crashing, ill lookinto the game.dll thing, tho not sure what i can do about it other than report it

As i said they are more irritating problems overall rather than game stopping, but thanks

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Boomer never has anything usefull to say its his way as a cocktard. :cheers:

lub you too man :x

but seriously, most hd's these days are like what... 100gb minimum? dual booting is seriously the way to go, have no end of problems doing certain things in linux, and porting, emulating etc etc sometimes just isnt an option.

Daedalus was spot on, dont see the problem of having a partition to run games and certain shitty software that only rly works well on windows platform, not gonna take a huge amount of space, nor time to setup, plus it wont effect your're linux partition in the slightest ;o

sorry for my blunt comment, didnt mean to come off as a prick or whatever, but thats seriously what i'd do in your position :)

Buffer

Fledgling Freddie
I do currently dual boot, but i prefer linux as my main OS. It does everything i need, except run daoc perfectly. The aim is to remove the windows XP system totally. It runs now fairly well, and is playable. All i asked was if anyone else had been here before and solved the issues i was experiencing.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Aye. I once tried that too, but, just decided that I prefer Windows on my clients and Linux on my server.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
You got further then I did :) I got to the login screen and that was it, but indeed, also with me the update checker was incredibly slow....
Then my pc broke, and now I've got an amd64 and need to still figure out what to install etc for a perfect system :) configuring kernel, building everything from scratch etc... just didn't have the time for it yet while being busy with school :)

I can't help you with it since I'm not much of a linux-guru... the opposite actually, but I like playing with it, and with the way I wanna set up linux on this pc, (Linux From Scratch) I just might one day become a linux-guru :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom