Linux again

W

Wij

I'm just about to buy a new PC so with 60 gigs of fresh drive space I thought I'd try some Linux as a toy :)

I'm pretty sure Mandrake will be best for me.

Normally I format my Hard Disks with a primary DOS partition of 2 gigs or so purely for windows (C: ) and 1 gig for drivers (D: ). The rest I make into a big games/pr0n partition.

Now for a start I will probably want to go with XP/W2K for Windows on this so FAT32 is probably not the best. Secondly, where am I gonna put my Linux on that ? Nowhere, that's where :/

I need a new HD strategy. What do you dual-booters use ?

T

Testin da Cable

well, I don't dual-boot so I wouldn't know ;)
anyhoo, I'd say make a 5 gig partition for linux [large enough/small enough heh], don't format it tho - the installer takes care of that.
LM knows all about windows, so it will prolly detect it and ask you questions about where you'll be wanting to install linux.

As to what filesystem you should be using with w2k/xp...ntfs should cater well to your needs Wij. One thing tho: if I were you I'd make a small [100 megs or so] primary partition. format it with fat, make it bootable and never touch it after that. It's a leftover idea from my NT days, when I discovered why it wasn't a good idea to have a bootable primary partition formatted with ntfs heheheh ;)

W

Wij

Hmm. The only prob I'm gonna have with NTFS is if I have a prob with this comp and I wanna plonk the HD in another box to grab the files off it. The other two are 98se :/

Oh well. Can't be helped.

Just got up so I may be very dumb atm but why's a bootable NTFS partition so silly ? :)

T

Testin da Cable

it isn't. until it breaks. heh. morning btw :)

W

Wij

Why not just make a bootable FAT partition for the OS only and have the rest as NTFS then ? Keeps it simple :)

S

Summo

You could, if it's small, but you'll have no system file security, non-optimal perfomance (even if only a little with a small partition) and (ffs) who uses FAT these days?

There are several 3rd party utilities which allow you to boot from a floppy and 'see' NTFS partitions without a problem. (You'd think a URL would spring to mind, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong.)

Install Win XP, not 2K you madman! Get hold of a Volume License copy for Activation-free joy.

W

Wij

OK, so...

3 gig primary NTFS split into 2 gigs logical for XP OS and 1 gig set aside for drivers.

Extented bit split into 5 gig for Linux (unformatted) and the rest NTFS for games/pr0n etc...

That should work.

W

Wij

My CD burner is tubbed :(

No GAME in Halifax. We got an EB though :)

W

whipped

Even though GAME and EB are one and the same I don't think EB stock Linux :(

2 secs *wanders off for a link*

Mandrake 8 Standard - £26.99 from Amazon

Mandrake 8 Powerpack - £53.99 from Amazon

Hope that helps. Tried to find some cheaper ones, but it looks like Amazon may be the best bet. Plus their stuff usually arrives next day or day after which is nice.

W

Wij

What's the powerpack got on it that I might need then ? :)

T

Testin da Cable

Wij, I'd gladly send you the standard downloadable LM set free of charge [well, you become my bumboy for the rest of the year ok :D] I have a copy [2 cd's] sitting around doing nothing so m00.
Shall I send em to Wij c/o Ye olde Goat Shoppe, 1066 Pron cresent like I did that err other stuff or would you care to pm me a different addy?

S

Summo

Suddenly Linux seems a very exciting alternative.

W

Wij

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
Wij, I'd gladly send you the standard downloadable LM set free of charge [well, you become my bumboy for the rest of the year ok :D] I have a copy [2 cd's] sitting around doing nothing so m00.
Shall I send em to Wij c/o Ye olde Goat Shoppe, 1066 Pron cresent like I did that err other stuff or would you care to pm me a different addy?

Wow. That'd be cool m8 :D

*sniff*

I feel humbled... and kinda aroused about the bumboy bit :)

I'll PM u my addy. Just don't pass it on to my many stalkers :)

T

Testin da Cable

'sok, I'll pass it on to your manly stalkers just like you asked :D
with luck I'll get to post them this evening dudeh. should take a day or two for a g0at sized package to get to your place.

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by whipped
Even though GAME and EB are one and the same I don't think EB stock Linux :(

2 secs *wanders off for a link*

Mandrake 8 Standard - £26.99 from Amazon

Mandrake 8 Powerpack - £53.99 from Amazon

Hope that helps. Tried to find some cheaper ones, but it looks like Amazon may be the best bet. Plus their stuff usually arrives next day or day after which is nice.
Buy a new CD-R instead :)

Users who are viewing this thread