Like Skylines?

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Looks-wise, I think it's a step down from the R34.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
That one doesn't look bad, but for the skylines you often see on our roads at the moment...

I did an airfield day last summer at North Weald, and in amongst the 15 or so elises present we had a couple of MR2's, a couple of MX5's, an M Coupe, and a really quite hotted up Skyline. The Skyline was very impressive in terms of sheer, balls out speed. The brakes weren't too bad either, but the cornering was woeful, terrible, shameful, absolute rubbish. On the small circuits we were running, of about a minute a lap, this made the skyline about 5 seconds a lap adrift of even the slowest liz. They do what they do quite well, but for fun in anything other than a straight line, you can keep them ta.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
That one doesn't look bad, but for the skylines you often see on our roads at the moment...

I did an airfield day last summer at North Weald, and in amongst the 15 or so elises present we had a couple of MR2's, a couple of MX5's, an M Coupe, and a really quite hotted up Skyline. The Skyline was very impressive in terms of sheer, balls out speed. The brakes weren't too bad either, but the cornering was woeful, terrible, shameful, absolute rubbish. On the small circuits we were running, of about a minute a lap, this made the skyline about 5 seconds a lap adrift of even the slowest liz. They do what they do quite well, but for fun in anything other than a straight line, you can keep them ta.

It was either a duff Skyline or a shit driver. Seriously, the old R34 should have stuffed every car you had there. There are some Japanese videos knocking around on the web and you can see the way it corners.

Kryten

Old Cow.
tbh there's not many, or any cars that will stuff an Elise or Exige round a twisty track. I'd have loved to see those raced at the Race of Champions at wembley, very well suited to that.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
It was either a duff Skyline or a shit driver. Seriously, the old R34 should have stuffed every car you had there. There are some Japanese videos knocking around on the web and you can see the way it corners.

Well, Kryts right. They are twisty little circuits that are run on these days, particularly well suited to Elises. I wouldn't imagine the elises would be close on a power circuit like Snett. This did seem a fairly well sorted one however, it was certainly in the 600bhp bracket, but I don't know what suspension work he'd had done. As for drivers, it wasn't his car, but one man behind the wheel that day was a former Benetton Formula 1 test driver by the name of Andrew Walsh. He's a bit useful.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Never seen the attraction tbh.

Me neither. There's should be a certain skill in driving a car quickly, the GT-R does it all for you. It should have a Dual Shock controller rather than a steering wheel tbh.

Oh, and if you watch the video you'll notice the 2008 Dodge Viper is faster through their slalom course. That's the rear wheel drive muscle car with a truck engine and a reputation for "interesting" handling and setting it's side exit exhausts on fire. I think, for the money, it's probably the one I'd have.

If you don't let me have an M5 that is.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
pfft, you don't need to buy an M5. Plenty of E39 540i's knocking about for not much money.

Personally I have a bit of a hard on for a Maserati Biturbo, or maybe an Alfa 166. But I know in the end I'll just buy another Tiv.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
That new Skyline is teh sex so much nicer looking than the old one. The old one was too in your face.

I would tbh.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'm not a Jap fan, i'm a German licker, but there is something about that GT-R that touches my front bottom, you know?

DaGaffer

It's immense. And you just know that when no-one's looking every one of them turns into a giant robot.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
That new Skyline is teh sex so much nicer looking than the old one. The old one was too in your face.

I would tbh.

Thats really not saying much at all!
I bet its not on the "cool" wall on Top Gear.

Nissan have no imagination at all. Their cars are boring. And shit.

DaGaffer

Thats really not saying much at all!
I bet its not on the "cool" wall on Top Gear.

Nissan have no imagination at all. Their cars are boring. And shit.

So the GT-R looks like nothing else on the road, goes like stink, costs half the price of any of its performance rivals and Nissan "have no imagination"? WTF? Nissan design over the last few years has been far more imaginative than most of its mainstream rivals; 350Z, Murano, Most of the Infinitis, are all strong.

I agree that the GT-R won't be on the cool wall though, as it's undoubtedly not a car that would impress women who aren't car geeks, which is the main criteria.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
So the GT-R looks like nothing else on the road, goes like stink, costs half the price of any of its performance rivals and Nissan "have no imagination"? WTF? Nissan design over the last few years has been far more imaginative than most of its mainstream rivals; 350Z, Murano, Most of the Infinitis, are all strong.

I agree that the GT-R won't be on the cool wall though, as it's undoubtedly not a car that would impress women who aren't car geeks, which is the main criteria.

Its looks like any other 3rd rate 2 door "sports" car on the road! Explain to me how it differs from "the rest"??

It looks very similar to the Mazda RX8, the Honda S2000, Corvette, Lexus IS-F....

I don't think it would impress most car enthusiasts either.

old.user4556

You're wasting your time here Gaff ;)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
The GT-R no longer impresses me. Check this out (for around the same price)

Top Gear | Corvette ZR1 news | Super 'Vette | 2007

large.jpg

I've just gone slightly moist.

Although I've just decided it needs Gunmetal wheels. Still, with 300bhp avalible FROM IDLE, I doubt once in it I'd care about the wheels. This will also be faster round the Nurburgring than the GT-R.

DaGaffer

Its looks like any other 3rd rate 2 door "sports" car on the road! Explain to me how it differs from "the rest"??

It looks very similar to the Mazda RX8, the Honda S2000, Corvette, Lexus IS-F....

I don't think it would impress most car enthusiasts either.

OK, while good or bad design is in the eye of the beholder, if you seriously think that the GT-R looks like an RX-8, S2000, IS-F or 'Vette (or by implication, that they look like each other) then you need eye surgery. I can recommend a good one.

As for whether car enthusiasts would be impressed, well, I think it will come down to people who are badge snobs/anti-Japanese car versus the rest. But what is obvious is that there are going to be a lot of embarrassed 911 drivers on track days all around the world by this time next year.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
The GTR looks like a 350 that had crashed through Halfords window. The Corvette looks like it should be very small and have a "Hot Wheels" sticker on it.

old.user4556

I must admit, the 911 is a truly lovely looking car that the vette or the GT-R can't touch in the gorgeous department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom