Light Caster Dilemna

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Hi, just ordered a new copy of DAOC + SI + TOA, so am gonna build a new character gonna choose one of the following;

Light chanter
Light Eld
Light Menta

If I didnt have to worry about leveling or getting arties I would without a doubt play a light Eld as this character is for Rvr. however i do :( . Leveling will be quickest with the chanter (as mana) and farming will be the best with the menta right? how hard will it be to get arties/level as the light eld? ( I have a ml5 druid btw on my current account)

Dont really want to level a farming character and a rvr one..

btw I hope a 2.6ghz 512 mb ram 9800pro can run two accounts?

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Light Chanter

The light mage with the least grouping utility, and most solo utility. Read staj's thread on it, he has some very valid points. Basically a light chanter can totally destroy the damage capacity of a melee class with haste and dps debuff, while at the same time using a healing or snare-nuking pet. Most important for a solo mage is speed though, which chanters have and the other classes don't. A group would be silly to get a light chanter though, if they look for optimal setup.

Light Eld

Nearsight is probably the most powerful way to disable mages in combat, where disease is the most powerful way to disable tanks. Add all four debuffs and a good eld can be an extreme pain in the ass for any group it fights. Downside of the DD is that its coldbased so it can't assist the chanter (if any) when it uses heatdebuff. Next to all that you have a lowish level pbae, for killing theurg pets and in general scaring off people, its a reflex to move out of pbae range for a lot of people in rvr.

Light Mentalist

Mentalists have a lot of hidden utility which will come forward much more in NF. With the loss of GP a second demezzer in group will be extremely valuable, and especially a demezzer who is pretty much immune to mezz itself (charm a greyish pet, release it for one pulse to break your own mezz). They can assist the chanter with heatdebuffed nukes (hi there 7xx every ~second), they can help the chanter with boxing enemies for pbae (static tempest), they can help with their own ae-dd.

In current rvr, i'd say eld > menta >>>> chanter in purre utility, but in NF the eld and menta will be on par.

I think it will be pretty cool to run a group with this setup:

Druid (nat/reg, insta roots and possibility to ae root after first pbae lands)
Druid (nat/reg/nurt)
Warden (bodyguard)
Bard (duh)

Mana eld (pbae, ae str/con debuff for pbae charges)
Light menta (demezz, static tempest, ae dd to help with pbae)
Champ (static tempest, bodyguard)
Blademaster (bl interrupter, can assist pbae with their pbae thingy) or another mana eld/chanter

oh, and a menta is a good farmbot aswell :)

edit- i think you need 1 gig ram to dual log properly, its what i have and its fine

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
Light Chanter

The light mage with the least grouping utility, and most solo utility. Read staj's thread on it, he has some very valid points. Basically a light chanter can totally destroy the damage capacity of a melee class with haste and dps debuff, while at the same time using a healing or snare-nuking pet. Most important for a solo mage is speed though, which chanters have and the other classes don't. A group would be silly to get a light chanter though, if they look for optimal setup.

Light Eld

Nearsight is probably the most powerful way to disable mages in combat, where disease is the most powerful way to disable tanks. Add all four debuffs and a good eld can be an extreme pain in the ass for any group it fights. Downside of the DD is that its coldbased so it can't assist the chanter (if any) when it uses heatdebuff. Next to all that you have a lowish level pbae, for killing theurg pets and in general scaring off people, its a reflex to move out of pbae range for a lot of people in rvr.

Light Mentalist

Mentalists have a lot of hidden utility which will come forward much more in NF. With the loss of GP a second demezzer in group will be extremely valuable, and especially a demezzer who is pretty much immune to mezz itself (charm a greyish pet, release it for one pulse to break your own mezz). They can assist the chanter with heatdebuffed nukes (hi there 7xx every ~second), they can help the chanter with boxing enemies for pbae (static tempest), they can help with their own ae-dd.

In current rvr, i'd say eld > menta >>>> chanter in purre utility, but in NF the eld and menta will be on par.

I think it will be pretty cool to run a group with this setup:

Druid (nat/reg, insta roots and possibility to ae root after first pbae lands)
Druid (nat/reg/nurt)
Warden (bodyguard)
Bard (duh)

Mana eld (pbae, ae str/con debuff for pbae charges)
Light menta (demezz, static tempest, ae dd to help with pbae)
Champ (static tempest, bodyguard)
Blademaster (bl interrupter, can assist pbae with their pbae thingy) or another mana eld/chanter

oh, and a menta is a good farmbot aswell :)

edit- i think you need 1 gig ram to dual log properly, its what i have and its fine

Thanks for all the info. Interesting that you would suggest the mentalism line as a secondary spec for a mentalist. I kinda assumed to go with mana for the ghetto heals to help my pet famr some scrolls and the mana regen so i wouldnt run out of power while charming a pet. (maybe serenity as a RA will help this in NF).
Is the mezz for the eld not that useful? Just noticed you didnt mention it, i know its kinda slow casting..

Will search on this board for more info regarding light specs.
Thanks

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Ballard said:
Thanks for all the info. Interesting that you would suggest the mentalism line as a secondary spec for a mentalist. I kinda assumed to go with mana for the ghetto heals to help my pet famr some scrolls and the mana regen so i wouldnt run out of power while charming a pet. (maybe serenity as a RA will help this in NF).
Is the mezz for the eld not that useful? Just noticed you didnt mention it, i know its kinda slow casting..

Will search on this board for more info regarding light specs.
Thanks
For RvR you'll be wanting mentalism secondary it has far more utility.
For PvE mana is better.
That said as long as you pick the right pets you shouldn't have issues with power just holding a pet with ment spec - it's when you start nuking and healing as well it becomes an issue.

Aloca

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
Light Eld
Downside of the DD is that its coldbased so it can't assist the chanter (if any)

It can still assist the chanter with the baseline dd, that dd will also do better damage due the spec in light.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
dimerian said:
512ddr is ok for running 2 accs,1k`ish best ofc :)

i got 512 ddr :/ not working very good, comp reboots all the time, i suspect something else is wrong tho (PSU maybe?)

Jika

Fledgling Freddie
light eld > light chanter/menta xD .. NS is win

specialy in NF

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Aloca said:
It can still assist the chanter with the baseline dd, that dd will also do better damage due the spec in light.

of course, but base will never be as much dmg as specnuke.

and about the mezz thing, in group rvr i hardly use it. it's not about slow cast or anything, just that it has a lower delve then a bards mezz hence i dont use it. for ae interrupt, disease is the thing you want: low power, slow cast so it doesnt drain much mana and you dont give people mez immunity for no reason.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Agree with the points made by vodka, I would go light eld they are a lot of fun at the moment, my main is a light eld and im very happy with his perforamce in rvr, they are the most popular light caster at present.

Eld AOE mezz is a usefull tool, it doesnt last long enough to keep a det tank out of it (though it will do significantly more than your baseline stunn!), it will quite happily keep any non det class mezzed for long enough. Its nice to have a backup mezz when you consider that youll only ever usualy have one primary mezzer in the group (bard), and even a low duration mezz on an opponents support can turn a battle fast.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
of course, but base will never be as much dmg as specnuke.

so why are we still debuffing heat? If we run fotm with 2 light casters and one chanter perhaps they should debuff cold?

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
so why are we still debuffing heat? If we run fotm with 2 light casters and one chanter perhaps they should debuff cold?

because that would be overkill. one eld assisting one chanter (or two bm's) works good as it is, i dont see any reason to change it. 3 mages in one group is overall not the best choice to make imo, because not having a BL tank makes a group very fragile to adds. fast and insta interrupting is very much needed

besides i can debuff cold for myself on the hardest targets :)

vintervargen

Banned
light menta if you want a char thats good at both pve/rvr.

you will need to play good to make it good however ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom