level scaling

N

Nightchill

There's so many servers I join where there'll be a party of 4 or 5 level 1s and one player being level 5 or 6.

The level 1s are then wondering why they seem to get 0xp, or 1xp or 2xp for uber monsters.. and also why everything is so hard.

The game scales the monsters based on the highest level player in the area. It's not even off your party level. So if you're in an area and someone 10 levels higher is also, expect the monsters to be Overpowering/Impossible.

It works the same for XP, since you do very little against difficult monsters, you get very little XP. It's not split equally.

This is all from observation btw ^, not anything I've read (manuals bah).

B

Bym

Some servers are filled with cheating idiots using the Aurora tools to up their characters armour and items, and unless you do the same you haven't got a chance of winning a PvP fight, even with help.

Last night I was playing on a PvP arena server with a lvl 20 paladin (and I admit I cheated and created a levelling mod and went from 13-20 in about a minute), and I had pretty damn decent legit armour. However, I was hit twice by another paladin of the same level wearing almost identical kit, and I was dead as a dodo.

Another DM tosser dickhead calling himself Lord Alexander (HOW gay) decided he didn't like my character name (Bym Bho, perfectly respectable I think!) so he paralysed me. I was stood there like a tit for 10 mins until I realised the cheating git had seriously modded his magician and I had no chance!

IMO we need a few official mods FAST in order to play the game properly and fairly online.

S

Sar

Surely playing on servers that enforce Server Vault Characters only would sort this out?

B

Bym

Yeh, makes it better, but even if this is the case players are still able to soup up their weapons/armour as long as it doesnt go beyond a certain level limit.

I made a lvl 49 suit of armour, and wasnt allowed anywhere, but I was allowed on with a lvl 30 :/

N

Nightchill

Confused me a little Bym mate. Players cant twink their items on Server Vault because they cant remove their character from the Vault to play anywhere else.

If you play on a Server Vault server you can only play on that server with that character. So, no one can get a friend to give them great items (unless their friend owns that server).

M

Mr Jabba

These sound like good arguments for setting up a nice quiet Server Vault server where people are more interested in the role-playing than the PvP (Oh, sod off and play Quake Arena or something you mindless dog-sucker).

Personally I don't see the point in cheating. I mean, oh well done, you've cheated and killed me. SO WHAT? <Climbs on hobby-horse> This is an RPG. How much fun would it be if the Merrie Bande of Adventurers in your favourite fantasy book never faced adversity and won every single battle? It would be dull. So why play a game that way. I have no intention of venturing onto a PvP server full of cheating, immature, <foams at the mouth>. That being the case, I'm looking forward to playing a fun/fair DM'd game where the players start at the same level, and the monsters are a difficult, but not impossible obstacle.

N

Nightchill

A player even cheated in my tabletop (or pen & paper) campaign.. Bless his heart he did try to make it seem more realisitic by "failing" unimportant rolls such as ones where someone else in the party is better - spot/search etc. or missing the easiest monsters that would die anyway. But put a difficult monster, or essential task and there'd be a lot of "ooh threat" "ooh a crit" "i hit and roll max damage" *sigh*

M

Mr Jabba

How exactly did he manage that? Weighted die? Dropping the dice on the floor every time? Misreading the numbers?

The mind boggles <boggle, boggle>

N

Nightchill

He'd have his other hand there to stop the die "so it doesnt go on the floor" and then quickly grab it when it had finished rolling (before anyone could see).

tbh, it was some of the other players who pointed it out to me :)

B

Bym

Originally posted by Nightchill
Confused me a little Bym mate. Players cant twink their items on Server Vault because they cant remove their character from the Vault to play anywhere else.

If you play on a Server Vault server you can only play on that server with that character. So, no one can get a friend to give them great items (unless their friend owns that server).

I thought Server Vault was either enforcing legal characters OR forcing the player to create a new character before playing for the first time on that server. /me is confuddled

N

Nightchill

Ah, understand what you meant now. *attempts to explain*

There are two types of Vault. Local Vault, where the character is stored on your hdd; and Server Vault where the character is stored on the servers hdd.
With a local vault character you can take him between any server that allows Local Vault characters.
With a server vault character you can ONLY play him on that server. You can`t take him outside it, play somewhere else, get groovy items and then go back. You can export him to your hdd though and then he`s also playable as a local vault character :)

The type of vault has no bearing on whether Legal Characters are enforced. It can be enforced on Local Vault Servers if the owner wants, and doesnt have to be enforced on Server Vaults Servers.

So any game that only allows Server Vault characters is pretty safe from overpowering. However friends with high level characters there could always pass down items too powerful for that characters level, and hence Legal Characters is usually turned on as well.

Hope that explains it in a non too roundabout way :) (and I hope I`m right)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom