Help legal stuffs

gohan

FH is my second home
hey looking for a bit of advice from a legal minded freddy, as I'm being completely screwed over on a job I applied for and I'm not sure it's even legal for them to do.

I applied for a part time job with royal mail as both my house mates work there and it's better money than I get atm, I'm also on a full time college course and put on the application the hours I was unavilable, still got the interview. Got an E-mail saying this I'd passed the inteview but unfortunately thier were other sucessful aplicants ect ect and I would be put on thier waiting list (which means I can apply for any role via E-mail and not have to re-interview)

another role with the exact same hours and location came up and these are the E-mails that went back and forth:

Sent: 22 November 2011 07:40
To: Step 2 Waiting List
Subject: Waiting List Candidate

Michael Moor RML043225 - Bitterne, Part time, 22.5 hours
====================================================================
Dear Michael

Thank you for your email.
I understand you declined the initial position you applied for at Bitterne RML042193 for 22.30 hours, as the hours were not suitable for you.
To confirm the position you have emailed in to confirm your interest against is the same as the position you originally applied for, again for 22.30 hours.

Can you please clarify if you wish to be considered?

Many Thanks
Frontline recruitment services
======================================================================================

Hi,
This is a fairly strange E-mail to write as I think there has been some confusion. I was never offered the role previously and was put directly onto the waiting list. As regards to my hours I did put on the original application that I was at college Tuesday mornings and all day Thursday and was told in the interview that it shouldn't be too much of an issue, I am still interested in the job and the hours per week are fine. I would be happy do work those hours as 3 full days or 4 part days but as I have said I wasn't previously contacted about my hours.
Many thanks,
Michael Moor

==================================================================
Hi Michael

As he hours are suitable we will register your interest against this position. One of the recruitment team will call you later this week to discuss the vacancy and next steps.

Many Thanks
Frontline recruitment services
========================================================================================
(5days after thier last Email)
Hi,
I still haven't had a call from anyone from the recruitment team regarding the Bitterne role so was just looking for an update, also if I am able to apply for more than one role at a time then I would like to be considered for RML043260, Eastliegh, Part time, 25 Hours. One of my housemates works at the Sarisbury Green delivery office and said that there are interviews all this week for positions there. Again if I'm able to apply for multiple positions I would be interested in any 20-28 hour positions in that office, didn't see it advertised on the website so I don't have a reference number for the roles, if any, there.
Thanks again,
Michael Moor

=====================================================================
(on monday)
Good Morning Michael

The position at Bitterne is still available and one of the recruitment team will contact you shortly to discuss the vacancy with you.
Kind Regards
Royal Mail Recruitment Team

=====================================================================
(then today)
Michael

I have contacted the manager at Bitterne regarding your interest in this position. Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate the working pattern you suggest at this office and the same would apply to the position at Eastleigh. Generally, most vacancies require individuals to be available to work 5 days out of 6 on a rotating day off basis.

You will remain on our waiting list until 31st January 2012 and are welcome to contact us in respect of any advertised vacancy which can allow your required attendance at college.

I am sorry my reply cannot be more favourable.

Regards

Royal Mail Recruitment Team

=============================================================
I replied to this asking why i was offered the interview if they new my hours were a problem, also why was i told in the interview that they wern't a problem and fianly why was it reiterated in these E-mails that my hours were not a problem?

they have yet to reply to that. Can they even do this tho? surely by offering me an interview they aknowledge that my hours are suitable. then to reject the job on my behalf due to hours and then say it's all fine again then reject me....... surely this is illegal and soem form of discrimination?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
An interview means shit. A second interview means shit. A "waiting list" means shit. A job offer is only a job until you sign the contract.

Discrimination again what btw?

gohan

FH is my second home
Against me...... :( why interview atall if you know the hours won't fit, then why E-mail saying the hours are fine, if they're not? all seems like complete bullshit to me. The legality part I'm questioning is can they reject me on somthing they have already aknowledged both verabally and in writting isn't an issue?

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I simply read that as in some instances your hours wouldn't be a problem, unfortunately they don't currently have any positions which would suit those hours.

Illegal? Discrimination?

You are having a laugh right?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wow. Looks like they dodged a bullet there gohan. You've not even got the job and you're already thinking "discrimination" and asking for legal advice.

Imagine what you'd be like if you got the job and they asked you to do something you weren't happy about?! The mind boggles...

Chilly

Balls of steel
Man up. They looked at their shift patterns and didnt like your restrictions so they fucked you off. Apply elsewhere.

gohan

FH is my second home
my point is why the fuck invite me to an interview for a job they know they aren't going to give me? I mean what the point? it's a waste of there time and my time. You don't apply for the company as a whole you apply for a set role. If they already knew that role wouldn't fit wh go any futher than rejecting me outright, and alo in the first E-mail they said I had rejected a job offer, but i was never made an offer, so they have rejected an offer on my behalf now surely that IS illegal, in there system they have me down as declining a role which i never have.....

gohan

FH is my second home
Man up. They looked at their shift patterns and didnt like your restrictions so they fucked you off. Apply elsewhere.
they didn't fuck me off, they looked at my shift patterns and offered me an interview..... then in the interview said shifts arent a problem, then in the Email said shifts arent a problem

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Maybe they just don't like you - but, like most employers, aren't man enough to say it?

gohan

FH is my second home
then why not fail my interview? why say i passed the interview ect, none of it really adds up

they had the chance to reject my application, they didn't
they then had the chance to fail me at the interview, they didn't
and then in the E-mail they still said my hours were ok for that role, they're not......

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Incompetent maybe but nothing illegal. They didn't promise you anything tangible.

What you have to realise with organisations this size is they have a department for everything. It then gets to the actual guy who would be employing you who says 'no, thats not what I am looking for.'

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Could have just been that on further inspection and as people filled roles, you were no longer a suitable candidate.

Things change, i wouldn't take it as anything personal.

What was really curious is this; "As he hours are suitable we will register your interest against this position.".

So hours work and they register you against it? o_O

gohan

FH is my second home
Ye that's my point, how can they reject me based on my hours after saying that having checked the hours are fine

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Could have just been that on further inspection and as people filled roles, you were no longer a suitable candidate.

Things change, i wouldn't take it as anything personal.

What was really curious is this; "As he hours are suitable we will register your interest against this position.".

So hours work and they register you against it? o_O

Its an english phrase. It just means putting your name to it. Its actually a positive use of the word against :p

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Hey it could be worse you could have lost out on a 30 grand a year possible job by posting on an internet forum drunk like i did

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom