Leeds

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Hey folks,
Picked Leeds University as my first choice to go to, that is if I pass my a-levels, and I was wondering if anyone could give me their impressions of the city? I've never been there so I have no idea what its like and I'm hoping somebody could tell me? Also, does anyone have any general uni advice?

Been living out in Qatar for the past four years and it is rather sheltered out here, so any advice would be appreciated. For example, what exactly do you take to uni with you? Everything in your room bar the furniture? Or do you wait a while and see then bring it next semester.

It is all very confusing :(

J

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
It won't really matter what the city's like. After living in Qatar so long you'll be drunk 24/7 so it'll be a blur no matter where you go! :)

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Leeds is a great city. And the University is also top.

As kenny said, you will be so fucked 99.99% (Recurring of course) of the time you won't mind too much. Oh and it's cheap as it's up north.

Just watch out for the "fick" northerners and you will be fine. That and essex girls.. (Shudders)

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Oi, I'm from the North :( Aberdeen, and they dont come any more northern than that really. Only met one person from Essex and she seemed nice enough, but she was Welsh.

This is all going to be quite an experience. Am I likely to be attacked/robbed/raped at all? I was talking about this earlier and was figuring on getting a bike for transport to and from uni and as a good way to get to know my way around the city. Do many uni people have bikes? Is it likely to get nicked? its all a bit wierd.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
in all fairness as long as your not walking around on your own in Bradford you will survive :) but in all seriousness Ledds is nice city no different troubles there that you wouldnt find in most cities. But avoid Bradford like the plague especially at night.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Munkey said:
Oi, I'm from the North :( Aberdeen, and they dont come any more northern than that really. Only met one person from Essex and she seemed nice enough, but she was Welsh.

This is all going to be quite an experience. Am I likely to be attacked/robbed/raped at all? I was talking about this earlier and was figuring on getting a bike for transport to and from uni and as a good way to get to know my way around the city. Do many uni people have bikes? Is it likely to get nicked? its all a bit wierd.

A bike will get you fit - Leeds is fekkin hilly! Yes lots of students have bikes. Yes it will get nicked.

Getting attacked/robbed/raped is always a possibility but you can't live your life worrying about shit like that, just exercise common sense, don't be an obvious 'student' when you're in pubs and clubs (unless they're student ones - and then I'd still say "don't be an obvious student).

As for what stuff to take; depends on where you're staying tbh; my room was like Dixon's shop window when I was at Uni, coz I liked not having to argue about the communal telly/hi-fi, and I was staying in a relatively safe area - I'd recommend getting insurance if you're going to have anything valuable in your room though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Leeds is shit. Sorry. Its got the second worst road system in the country (after Birmingham), and its full of Leeds fans.

DaGaffer

Tom said:
Leeds is shit. Sorry. Its got the second worst road system in the country (after Birmingham), and its full of Leeds fans.

The road system is hardly a student's major concern is it? The Leeds fans might be a different matter, but most of the towns that are cool places for students have resident chavs or meatheads.

Leeds is a good student town; its cheap and its got good pubs and clubs, and the Uni itself has a good rep.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Munkey said:
Been living out in Qatar for the past four years

You're going to bleeding freeze! :)

I'd take lots of thick wooly clothing until you acclimatise. Other than that stay away from dodgy pubs, always try and ensure you're in a group of friends in the evening and you will be fine.

I generally find that people who don't go looking for trouble don't find it. It's not always the case, but it normally holds true.

M

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
Munkey said:

If your from aberdeen you will be used to the cold. Take a months worth of clothes, and just make sure you learn how to wash.

Plus a tip my dad gave me, an iron on linen setting makes a damn fine cheese toastie.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Forgot it was going to be cold, I only have 2 jumpers and a jacket for the day it rains here.

So far on the purchasing list: Warm Clothes, an Iron, a Bike.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
From aberdeen? Jesus cold shouldn't be a problem then.

Im off up there in a month or so. Anyway, yes insurance!!! Just fecking get it at the start when you feel rich. That and don't forget about the TV license, if it's applicable.

And don't accept any drinks from anyone who goes on about leeds fans or road systems. They are only after your body.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I'll have you know that when I lived in Aberdeen, actually it was a small village about an hours drive away called Aboyne, but the point is that we used to get Britains highest recorded temperatures during the Summer. Granted this was a good 12 years ago but thats besides the point.

Oh yeah, I also want to volunteer for the St Johns ambulance service, they do a LINKS thing and might, hopefully, get me into football matches for free, I've only seen Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Wrexham play and I want to go to a proper football match. This has that added benefit of being able to look after all the people who get beaten up for complaining about the road system to a leeds fan. I already have a First Aid qualification with PADI, and its something I'm really interested in doing. Does anyone else do it? Just wondering if it would hamper with my social/study life, being more concerned with the former than the latter.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Leeds is a shit hole, its full of Leeds fans oh and racial hatred.

There are lots of nice places to go to Uni in the UK. Londond is obviously stupidly expensive, so avoid it unless your parents are really loaded.

Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Reading. Ever thought about applying to a Scottish Uni?

Tilda

Im not sure what sort of accomodation you applyed for, it depends a lot on that.

ie. I'm in self catered,
So I took, pans, frying pan, plates, mugs, bowls, cutlery, grater etc.
I've bought wine glasses and other odds and ends since i've been here.

For your room, sheets, duvets, pillows etc, as you'll probably just get bed + matress.
I got a thick blanket type thing that i put on my matress under the sheet to cushion the springs ;)
Computer, radio, washing stuff, clothes, towels, etc
Take a tool kite, with screw drivers etc, it always comes in handy.
Simiarly if your taking a bike, take all the stuff you'd need to patch/replace/reinflate a tyre :)

One thing you might find handy is carrying a list with you, and writing down everything you use in a week!
Good luck with your Alevels!

Tilda

DaGaffer

Ch3tan said:
Leeds is a shit hole, its full of Leeds fans oh and racial hatred.

There are lots of nice places to go to Uni in the UK. Londond is obviously stupidly expensive, so avoid it unless your parents are really loaded.

Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Reading. Ever thought about applying to a Scottish Uni?

Ahahahaha!. I could have taken your post seriously, then I saw your location. Talk about people in glass houses...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I've been to Leeds, its a total shit hole. South London is prefreble in every way.

DaGaffer

Ch3tan said:
I've been to Leeds, its a total shit hole. South London is prefreble in every way.

Croydon is one of the chavviest scumholes in Britain (no offence ;)), only surpassed by Basildon and Bracknell. Anywhere up north is preferable. And before you ask, I live in London.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
brooky said:
I am from Leeds, i was born and raised in Leeds, its a great city, 'Capital of the North',

Reason enough of why not to go anywhere near Leeds. You may end up a tiny bit like him.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Leeds is ok during the day, raod systems not the bad compared to other places,

but racial hatred is more prominent during the weekend nights when drunks and some not so drunk peeps come out in force and pick on asian/black person for no aprent reason what so ever.
oh and the amount gatso cameras is fucking anoying.

i live only a couple minutes drive from Leeds and have a few mates who go to leeds uni and they say its not bad.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Munkey said:
I'll have you know that when I lived in Aberdeen, actually it was a small village about an hours drive away called Aboyne, but the point is that we used to get Britains highest recorded temperatures during the Summer. Granted this was a good 12 years ago but thats besides the point.

Oh my. I spent the first 6 months of my life there. Before scooting off to denmark.

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Off topic really but after traveling around visiting my mates and going to a London Uni I always thought that Manchester was the best student city in the country.

nearly 100,000 uni students in term time and the Manchester Uni/UMIST is a top University.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of bars, clubs and gigs too.

Sorted :)

DaGaffer

Tenko said:
Off topic really but after traveling around visiting my mates and going to a London Uni I always thought that Manchester was the best student city in the country.

nearly 100,000 uni students in term time and the Manchester Uni/UMIST is a top University.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of bars, clubs and gigs too.

Sorted :)

Yep. Manchester is indeed easily the best student town in the UK.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
I live about 40 minutes from Leeds and used to spend a helluva lot of time there. Some of the best clubs in the country tbh.

It also used to have one of the best bike shops in the country too, Stif (not sure if its still there tbh) just up the road from the Uni.

Shopping is also pretty good, as are the available eateries.

I like Leeds, but wouldnt want to live there.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Ive lived there all my life so far.

Good city imo, plenty to do, sports teams are pretty good(apart from Leeds UTD now :mad: ), nightlife is meant to be best in North

:drink: :cheers:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
How do you Leeds people rate Creation nightclub please? Just out of interest... :)

G

Never been before, but my mates he head of security for all the creations in the UK, he says they are pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom