Laser Eyes

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I think I asked this a while back, possibly 2 years ago: has anyone here had laser eye treatment, or know anyone that has? I know someone here did the last time I asked, do your eyes still work? I think I can afford to have this done now and wondered how much hassle it is, how dangerous, effective etc? :)

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I really want it, but you're meant to wait until you're 21 as your eyes are still adjusting, apparently. :( My eyesight has deteriorated rapidly in the past year and I hate wearing glasses, tried contacts and can't put them in my eye. I think its a grand per eye, but I know alot of companies have deals with companies to get a reduction.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
I got bored of wearing glasses so just do without.. i'll have the laser done when im 21 :D

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I've been seeing prices at about £580 per eye, haven't done any proper research yet though into the best/worst companies and such. :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My boss had his done recently and swears by it ....

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Mobius said:
I really want it, but you're meant to wait until you're 21 as your eyes are still adjusting, apparently. :( My eyesight has deteriorated rapidly in the past year and I hate wearing glasses, tried contacts and can't put them in my eye. I think its a grand per eye, but I know alot of companies have deals with companies to get a reduction.

had the same problem with contacts at the start, start it over the holiday when you have some spare time in the mornings to get used to it, can put them in when im half-awake now ;) (been on contacts for about 2 years :p )

practice makes perfect (though you have to remember to take them out again, or you get little dents in your eyes :eek6: )

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
No I physically can't use them. Even thinking about putting them in my eyes now is causing them to water unbelievably. I have a thing about eyes. Really fucked up. :p

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
A mate of mine got it done a few years ago in Oman. He said it was like visiting the dentists, waiting room, treatment ... except for the part where they burn your eye with a laser. :p

He said his eyes crusted over, and he couldn't do scuba diving for a while because of the surgery (there's been horror stories of eyes flapping open - the retina comes loose under extreme pressure or something) ... :D

Chilly

Balls of steel
Laser eye treatment isnt just zap away short(or whatever) sightedness and voilla - it stops your lenses focusing properly in certain ranges but improves it for other ranges, and it's not all that good according to people I know who have had it done - all of whom have reading glasses now.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I had it done about 18 months ago. Best investment I ever made; eyes better than 20:20 now. There was a thread about this a while back if I recall.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Paradroid said:
A mate of mine got it done a few years ago in Oman. He said it was like visiting the dentists, waiting room, treatment ... except for the part where they burn your eye with a laser. :p

He said his eyes crusted over, and he couldn't do scuba diving for a while because of the surgery (there's been horror stories of eyes flapping open - the retina comes loose under extreme pressure or something) ... :D
You should post that on here: http://www.lasereyeforum.com/forum/ and see what they say. :)

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Paradroid said:

Fuck ;/

Gray

FH is my second home
I think it was Mystic G who had it done

In all my 21 years i have never needed glasses, ive always had pretty perfect vision, that was until about a year ago anyway...

I notice how fast my sight is blurring out slightly, its like when i come into work i generally always see how many customers we have waiting in the queue on the big projector, although at a big distance i notice its just blurred out.

Ive never experienced it really before, i guess its probably that during the day im at a PC, as well as at night, cant be doing my focus any good

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I wonder how many opticians have had this treatment.....

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I've heard that it's becoming cheaper nowadays but personally i'd still pay the upper scale for it, if there's anything i'd pay top dollar for it's my eyesight, paying a reasonable amount doesn't really cut it for me.

But that just my opinion...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Paradroid said:

I bet he didn't use his eye drops properly. After you have it done you need to do this eye bath thing for a couple of weeks religiously or you'll get the 'crusting over' and other potential nasties.

You can't do anything like scuba diving for at least 8 weeks (they even recommend you don't fly for a couple of weeks, because of cabin pressure and the dry environment). The only side-effect I noticed (apart from feeling liks someone had thrown hot gravel in my eyes for 3-4 hours after surgery) was that computer games went right out of the window for about a month afterwards; my eyes just couldn't follow movement on-screen fast enough. Pefectly OK now though.

As for reading glasses, I expect I'll end up needing them about 5-10 years. The difference is that I would probably have gone long-sighted anyway, most people do, but now I'll need reading glasses rather than bifocals.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gray said:
I think it was Mystic G who had it done
It was indeed me. It's a fucking awesome investment. Since having mine done i've had basically perfect sight. Unfortunatly I think the original thread was BW/Game so doubt you'll find that.

Mine was done at Moorfields eye hospital. Cost about £3,000.00. Didn't have any of DaGaffer's side effects. Difference was instant. You do however have to abide by "don't do this and that" rules afterwards and a military style eye drop regime.

For those with doubts, unless you've had it done I can't explain it to you. The reading glasses bit is fairly standard though from my understanding, basically just because you get your eyes zapped doesn't mean they won't still go when you get older (i.e. when they deteriorate biologicaly).

Oh and the over 21 thing is true as well, any younger and your eyes will change after its done and most likely ruin any results.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I just found out that I have to go without contact lenses for 4 weeks, just wear glasses, to have a consultation - though after reading MYstIC G's post I think it might be worth it. :)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
No thanks, rather keep my specs, no way ill have someone point a powerfull laser into my eye and fuck around, I'd hate to find problems 5-10 years down the line.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
That's sort of why I asked again after 2 years, to see if there were any problems... I think they've been doing laser eye treatment now since about 1988/90? :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Isn't there a new procedure where they impant lenses into your eyes? It's reversable and the lenses can be changed if your eyes get worse or better.

tankgirl_ni

Fledgling Freddie
ive looked everywhere for a picture of the scotish guy from the laser eye treatment ad that's always on telly. you know the one. the one with the crossed eyes.. that's had laser eye treatment... even after treatment he still has crossed eyes but by the end of the ad at least he's got a girlfriend!

SiD

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
I've been seeing prices at about £580 per eye, haven't done any proper research yet though into the best/worst companies and such. :)

Not really something you wanna skimp yer cash on though is it? :p

Friend had it done about 2 months ago and swears by it... simple and painless but not cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom