Large Shields

J

Javai

Can anyone tell me the difference between Heater and Tower shields please?

P

Pin

Originally posted by Javai
Can anyone tell me the difference between Heater and Tower shields please?

Heaters are bigger and square.

Main difference is that Heater shields are heavier and slower. Shield style damage is higher with a heater, as is endurance usage.

T

Tranquil-

I thought Heater and Towershields are the same? Large shields both of them, they are different?

O

old.LandShark

They are different, as Pin described. I thought it was the other way round in terms of which one was the heavier/slower, but since it's Pin I'll presume he's right. :clap:

M

Mishy

humm i thought Tower did more damage then Heater as well, least it did with the limited trys i did with my Pally.

but what would a merc know about shields :)

J

Javai

OK I'll get Vlad to craft me one of each and try it out with two the same quality and see :)

B

bracken_woodman

Originally posted by old.LandShark
They are different, as Pin described. I thought it was the other way round in terms of which one was the heavier/slower, but since it's Pin I'll presume he's right. :clap:

Aye, what Pin said. I forget which way round they are named, but basically its the big rectangular one that is heavier/slower and does more damage. (Get a luri on the end of one of those slams and his ears will be ringing for days :D ).

J

Javai

Ok I ran some tests (on worker ants cos I'm too lazy to move far from CS):

Arc Tower 99% = 392
Arc Tower 100% = 392
Arc Heater 99% = 328
Frenzied/Avernal/maleson = 400+ (can't recall exact figure but presumably this is because they are level 50's where as crafted as yet aren't

The Tower/Heater difference is silly since the Heater requires more metal to make...looks to me like Mythic got it wrong way round.

Conclusion - buy Avernal from DF if you can't get the Frenzied to drop and eagerly await level 50 crafted shields and spellcrafting ;)

K

Khalen

I've done some tests too and there ain't much difference in end absorption with a medium shield or large shield...

T

Tranquil-

High quality crafted should have higher blockrate though.

J

Javai

Originally posted by Tranquil-

Be happy to try that out if someone knows a way of testing it? Hmm maybe a chatlog parser.....

P

pilia

As far as my experience goes there really isn't much difference in blockrate between dropped shields and crafted masterpieces,..

Altough the higher quality might help when the user has a low shield spec,..not to sure on that,...

Oh and the endurance usage for medium and large seems very much thesame to me,perhaps a slight difference,..the real difference is in the recharge time.

T

Tranquil-

Endurance usage depends on Weapon delay, so if the delays are different, then the endurance cost is different.

edit:

Oh, and this is from the herald:

Q: I’m not blocking much more than I did pre-patch 1.52, but my friend is blocking like crazy. We have the same spec. Am I bugged?

A: No, but your friend is most likely using a player crafted shield. The quality of the player crafted item will make a significant difference – try it and see. The same goes for armor, by the way. You will take less damage while wearing the player made stuff than you will in fancy looted gear. That +1 str pair of sleeves? Bleh. Ditch them and support your nearest crafter.

edit2 :)

This might be good reading too:

Q: How do blocking and parrying work?

A: Both of these skills use dexterity, and the quality of your shield/weapon, to create a numerical value. That value is compared to your opponent’s weapon skill value to determine your chances to block or parry. If the numbers are equal, your base chance is determined entirely by your skill level. Also, before this comparison happens, the game looks to see if your opponent is in your forward arc – to determine that arc, make a 120 degree angle, and put yourself at the point.

Dual wielders throw an extra wrinkle in. You have half the chance of shield blocking a dual wielder as you do a player using only one weapon. Your chance to parry is halved if you are facing a two handed weapon, as opposed to a one handed weapon.

If you have multiple attackers, your chance to parry any one attack (which is determined in part by your skill in parry) will be divided by the number of attackers. Blocking is a little different – your chances of blocking multiple opponents partly depends on the size of your shield. (One opponent for small, two for medium, three for large.) You will have no chance to shield block any more than that number in any given round of combat.

So what did we do in 1.52 to increase your chances of blocking or parrying? Well, before this patch, the game was artificially inflating the number of opponents. (For instance, if you were being attacked by one person, the game was counting that player AND his groupmates as opponents against you, even if that guy’s group was nowhere nearby. There were other factors as well, but that was the biggest problem right there.) So for blocking, if one guy was swinging at you, but he was grouped with four people, the game would decide you had five attackers, and your small shield might “block” someone who wasn’t actually hitting you. And for parrying, obviously the division mentioned above would be a much smaller number. Now, the game is only counting people who are actively trying to cause you harm.

But you will never block or parry in RVR as much as you do in PVE, because in RVR you’re almost always facing multiple opponents, and as you can see from the above explanation, the chances to block or parry are directly related to the number of attackers. The change we made in patch 1.52 is most noticeable in one group vs. one group battles, but certainly has an impact in epic scale RVR.

Q

quinthar

I'd love to have a crafted but tbh I cant justify one, I have a stone lords shield that gives whacking great +6 to shield.

I now have shield at 42+11 (taking into account +4 for RR5)

Magical Bonuses:
Dexterity: 10 pts
Shields: +6 pts
Thrust Resist: 6%
Quality: 90%

Downside is the qual but hey its a great shield, I'd prolly block more with a large but there is a speed hit, I have found this to be very effective. And nothing beats procing a poor ickle luri when you slam it.

You Slam the little luri for 320 dmg
You hit for 130 dmg
Luri attempts to run for some cover
You <giggle>

Now, if some crafter wishes me to etst an MP for him them let me know in game, I dont mind parting with a bit of cash to help the coffers also.

B

belth

You'd propably slam for over 400 without crits when using a proper crafted shield instead of some oddball dropped ;)

J

Javai

Originally posted by belth
You'd propably slam for over 400 without crits when using a proper crafted shield instead of some oddball dropped ;)

Not until level 50 shields come in - my dropped shields did more damage than any of the crafted ones I tried, 99% tower and heater and MP tower.

P

pilia

Oh, and this is from the herald:

Q: I’m not blocking much more than I did pre-patch 1.52, but my friend is blocking like crazy. We have the same spec. Am I bugged?

A: No, but your friend is most likely using a player crafted shield. The quality of the player crafted item will make a significant difference – try it and see. The same goes for armor, by the way. You will take less damage while wearing the player made stuff than you will in fancy looted gear. That +1 str pair of sleeves? Bleh. Ditch them and support your nearest crafter.

Perhaps true,but with 50 in basic shield spec you already block an obscene ammount,.

I did some testing a while back between a DF shield and a playercrafted heater shield (99%)
and i really could not tell the difference,...

As far as rvr goes,..the only use for a shield there would be to slam,which should change (hopefully) in 1.53.
Altough the nifty guard feature does seem to work wonders,.(block once for yourself,block 10 times for the person you have guard on,..hmmm:/)

Anyway,who cares about blockrates and endurance usage,it's all about looks.

Givez glowy shields!.

Users who are viewing this thread