Laptops / Uni!

Mey

Part of the furniture
I'm off to uni as some of you might know, and i need to start about getting a laptop or desktop sorted, ideally i'd get both but my mum/dad will only pay for the Laptop, i want to be able to play some games on them (i'm not hoping for the best graphics and speeds but aslong as its playable thats good) the problem, im a hardware novice.. i have no idea what is good and what is shit, so this is why i'm asking you guys to help me. Can you find me a decent laptop for uni that isn't going to cost me the earth.. less than a £1000 is good.

Cheers Mey.

Tilda

I just took my desktop.
If i'm in lectures I had write notes, if I'm in the library i'm probably making notes from a book.
If I have an essay to do, I do it at home, as I see it, unless you write essays in the library, you don't *need* a laptop.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
*COUGH*

I went to university in the erly 90s - hardly anyone had a laptop or PC let along took them to uni

These days they're essential student kit

I'd buy something VERY cheap that does the job. Assume you're going to get burgled. Student's frequently get robbed for ganja etc

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Tilda said:
I just took my desktop.
If i'm in lectures I had write notes, if I'm in the library i'm probably making notes from a book.
If I have an essay to do, I do it at home, as I see it, unless you write essays in the library, you don't *need* a laptop.

:clap:

WORD

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
"that isn't going to cost me the earth"...lol ur folks are payin for it...an afterall im sure it isnt essential but i guess that would depend what it is you are studying...if its an ICT thing then ye it might be really needed...but other than that i dont get it..other than entertainment purposes.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
if you wnt to spend the full 1k, go for a dell and buy what ever model costs that much.

dell = ftw for novices and pros alike

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
if you wnt to spend the full 1k, go for a dell and buy what ever model costs that much.

dell = ftw for novices and pros alike
you work for dell or get somethin for promotin them?? :p just it seems they always used to get slated beyond belief...they prob better now bu ti wouldnt know really cos from usin some an the probs friends have had with them i've avoided them like the plague since.

tris-

i get nothing off dell. i worked with their systems for a yr and never had a single problem with anyone of them. except for lotus mother fucking notes being a bastard.

even the one i dropped and smashed to bits before installing at someoneses desk worked perfectly fine :D

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
tris- said:
i get nothing off dell. i worked with their systems for a yr and never had a single problem with anyone of them. except for lotus mother fucking notes being a bastard.

even the one i dropped and smashed to bits before installing at someoneses desk worked perfectly fine :D
ye...just seems they had a major bad rep an people i know that have had them have regretted gettin the fucker...maybe things have changed now tho...i dunno

tris-

the way we used them was to recieve them from dell, mod any parts (NIC, GPU etc) and put an image onto the HD. the image contained no software from dell. maybe thats why they were so good?

they also got uber warranty and replacement policies etc :)

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
NIC?? sorry i dont know loads about comps...thats an acronim i'm not famlliar with...

soze

I am a FH squatter
you can get a laptop off dell for £349 delivered with a wireless card. It will not do alot but for Office and the Internet its perfect. If you can talk your parents into letting you spend the other £650 as well you could lay your hand on a pc that with a gfx card upgrade will be a ok gaming machine.

Like this for £638
Intel® Pentium® D 945 Dual Core Processor (3.40GHz, 800MHz fsb, 2x2MB cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition (Does not include Operating System Re-installation CD)
Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x512] Memory
250GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
16x max. DVD+/-RW Drive
256MB ATI Radeon® X600 HyperMemory graphics card
Dell™ 19" Value Flat Panel (E196FP)

I got two of the cheap Dell laptops at Christmas one my dad uses every day to play poker ect and its never had a problem. The other for a friend who uses it to run bussiness accounts and again its never had a problem, but both are only 8 months old. Maybe some one with one older will have seen problems. I know for a bussiness i would never buy a Dell but for at home i think they are ok.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
soze said:
Like this for £638
Intel® Pentium® D 945 Dual Core Processor (3.40GHz, 800MHz fsb, 2x2MB cache)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition (Does not include Operating System Re-installation CD)
Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x512] Memory
250GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 8MB DataBurst™ cache
16x max. DVD+/-RW Drive
256MB ATI Radeon® X600 HyperMemory graphics card
Dell™ 19" Value Flat Panel (E196FP)

Will that give you flawlessly smooth uber play in WOW / DAOC ?

Is the graphics card good enough for the highest setting in Catacombs ?

Not criticising, just asking cos I don't know and I really need to buy a new laptop myself (with 2GB RAM min, and a REALLY good gfx card) - one which has uber games performance at a really good price. Anyone recommend something ?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Lamp said:
Will that give you flawlessly smooth uber play in WOW / DAOC ?

Is the graphics card good enough for the highest setting in Catacombs ?

Not criticising, just asking cos I don't know and I really need to buy a new laptop myself (with 2GB RAM min, and a REALLY good gfx card) - one which has uber games performance at a really good price. Anyone recommend something ?

Yes
Yes
It is a very similar pc to mine but i have a smaller processor but a bigger graphics card. And i can do both of those.

I dont know much about gaming laptops i have a HP media laptop with a gig of ram that handles daoc perfectly but ive never really tried other games. This is under £1500 from Dell. I have no idea if its good though :)

Components
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2500 (2 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2
Premium XPS Service, 1 Year (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
17" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
Fixed Internal 8x DVD/24x CDRW Combo Drive With Software
256MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 graphics card

Shalom

Fledgling Freddie
soze said:
Components
Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2500 (2 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2
Premium XPS Service, 1 Year (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
17" UltraSharp™ Wide Screen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
Fixed Internal 8x DVD/24x CDRW Combo Drive With Software
256MB DDR3 nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7900 graphics card

The problem with having that is its going to way a ton and will probably take away the one big major pro for laptops which is portability.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Shalom said:
The problem with having that is its going to way a ton and will probably take away the one big major pro for laptops which is portability.

Yeah thats the sacrafice with gaming laptops though if you want it to play games it has to be big. That dell is nearly 4kg. I want one of these the ultimate portable laptop.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Lamp said:
Looks ugly
and no phone

Fully fuctional laptop with windows xp so just add skype and you have a phone. But it is kind of ugly

Roalith

Can't get enough of FH
I have one of the cheap £349 Dells for office work/email/web browsing etc, never had a single problem with it. Trick is to format the fucker as soon as it arrives and install a fresh copy of XP Pro, download the extra drivers etc from Dell's website and install them - else you'll have to put up with the 50,000,000,000* free trials Dell just love to install before sending the laptop to you.

As a side note - I've also run the TOA client on the cheapo Dell laptop without a single problem, although admittedly not running in a zerg. Doubtful as to whether it could handle the Catacombs client, although it does handle Eve Online quite nicely :)

* This figure may or may not be accuracte.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
My m8's got the super duper Mac desktop with dual 64 processors and 2GIG of RAM. He's put WOW on it and it plays like a dream. Only thing is the damn cost. About £5000 with the screen...:eek7:

Mey

Part of the furniture
i've just been blown away with computer jargon' thanks anyway, guess i'll get my brother to sort it for me :S

tris-

lol @ 4kgs.

its not exactly a major weight to have to carry around is it?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
tris- said:
lol @ 4kgs.

its not exactly a major weight to have to carry around is it?

Aye

Am I the only person who DOESN'T carry his laptop around ? I don't care if it weighs 200kg and eats an entire pig for breakfast ! I like laptops cos they take up less room and are quieter than desktops. I leave mine on my table ! If I want portable computing I take one of my PDAs with me.

If I needed portability and had to choose, my portable lappy would be the Compaq TC1100 tablet pc, or the 12 inch Mac laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom