Laptops of joy

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
Catsby is wondering if anyone can advise what sort of laptops he should be looking for to meet the criteria of:

-Being light.

As Catsby wants to set up a laptop to carry in his briefcase, that will not take up too much space, nor be too heavy. Catsby will be looking at second hand computers for this item. He wonders if you have any tips.

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
The frequent travellers at work use IBM Thinkpad X40's and seem quite pleased with them, though on checking, the docking station / drive unit bumps the weight up towards the 3kg mark but I imagine there won't be a great second hand market for them

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have an IBM R40 and can tell you it is NOT one to go for if light is your requirement.... it's bloody heavy tbh, but good battery life :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you have struck me as the kind of person who would own an ibook Catsby. apple being apple though, they tell you all kinds of things except what their ibooks weigh. the powerbooks on the other hand, aren't the lightest but certainly have the "ooh" factor :)

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
i've got a thinkpad t30
lighter than my previous laptops and well designed for people on the move i.e. very long lasting battery, keyboard, light 2.5kg weight (there are lighter laptops available but you'll find they cost a looooooooooooooooot)

think the current version is the t40 (?) which is lighter i think

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
you have struck me as the kind of person who would own an ibook Catsby. apple being apple though, they tell you all kinds of things except what their ibooks weigh. the powerbooks on the other hand, aren't the lightest but certainly have the "ooh" factor :)

I was going to say the same :)

According to the Apple site, the 12" iBook is 4.9 pounds (2.2kg), although that will obviously vary depending on what you bung in it.

MrK-

Fledgling Freddie
Fujitsu Lifebook!

I can recommend the Fujistu Lifebook as a decent lightweight laptop ... has PCMCIA, 2 USB, Firewire, 100baseT, modem, VGA out. Docking station for serial ports. It's the smallest laptop I've owned and tiny compared to the Armada I have... battery life is pretty good too unless you plan on using the bluetooth/wireless stuff a lot (also built in).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom