Laptop woes :(

scoop

Can't get enough of FH
FH Subscriber
Hiya

As a birthday present i was "suprised" with a laptop, even though i intended to buy one. Computers and parents dont usualy go too well as they're usualy off to PC world to buy it.. :)

Anyway they told me to have a good look at the specs before opening so that i could change it if i liked. Basic Specs are:

2.8Ghz Celeron
512MD RAM
ATI mobility graphics card (not sure on ram size?)

I guess its not the best but i did not want to seem ungratefull and specs wise i thought it would be fine for general use (photoshop, word etc).

The problem is, is that its quite slow!

My girlfriend has a laptop with the following specs:

Athlon XP mobility 2200
256MB RAM
and an S3 type graphics card

Although i reckon her processor is quite a bit better than the celeron? the ram is pretty poor compared.

ANYWAY main point that im trying to make is that on hers programs like Flash 5, Word, Photoshop etc open pretty much instantly.

On mine the laptop has to have a little think before doing so. With programs like word especially i would have expected them to open alot faster.

Another problem with mine is that WindowsXP tends to slow down considerably if more than one program is running. If for example i have kazaa open (but minimised) and flash 5, it will run like a pig (wheres on hers she can open a shit load of stuff at once..).

Basically i would like to know if its just that i have a slow ass laptop or if something could be wrong with it.

I've run adaware, Spybot S+D and Norton but no viruses or anything could be found..

Both laptops are using Windows Xp Home Edition.

[edit] Just to give you more of an idea, it takes around 3 seconds to open up an internet explorer window.. and around 7 seconds for word while IE is running.

Thanks for any help.

Vae

Resident Freddy
IMO Primary suspect would be that Celeron chip. I have a 1.8 Celeron on my work laptop and I wish to God I'd persuaded them to buy anything except that. Half the time it seems as slow as the P3-500 that it replaced :(

scoop

Can't get enough of FH
FH Subscriber
Hehe yeah i remember thinking that the latop seemed as quick as my old P3 450.

I really hope its not the celeron, did not know that they were this bad :p

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The Celerons do have a bit of a rep for poor performance, but it might be worth checking the power settings yoiu are using. My lappy runs far slower when I have it set for optimal battery performance... maybe this is the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom