laptop for working

WiiWii

Loyal Freddie
hello all!
I thought i would ask people here what sort of laptop i should look at. I want to use it for work purposes ( i have given up on my gaming dreams :)) So my question is what do i need and how cheap can i get a laptop for?

tnx in advance :D

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Pretty much anything off the shelf then so maybe £400?

Unless u want more hdd, ram, cpu, which only u will know. :p

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
At work we mostly use the IBM Lenovo R60e which're at about 600€. Pretty robust and silent. 15" Screen and something like 60GB HDD.
If you need a bigger Screen there's an R60 with a 1400x1050 15" Display but that's about 900€, but it got a bigger HDD as well, quite like mine.

WiiWii

Loyal Freddie
At work we mostly use the IBM Lenovo R60e which're at about 600€. Pretty robust and silent. 15" Screen and something like 60GB HDD.
If you need a bigger Screen there's an R60 with a 1400x1050 15" Display but that's about 900€, but it got a bigger HDD as well, quite like mine.

Do IBM make good laptops? I dont know but have tried to stay away from IBM period for a long time, but might have to check them out again :)

tnx for the tips, will check out macbooks also, but they are quite expensive start at around 1100€ here in sweden.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
IBM PCs and Notebooks aren't gaming machines or customizable, but if you just look for some PC/NB to take out of the package and start working, they're well worth the money.

Lenovo Notebooks R Series

Adari

Part of the furniture
Macs are shit, didn't anyone tell you?

mac offers everything a student could need, its a very neat looking OS, has great utility, very easy and quick to learn and handle - for the purpose of taking notes, listening to music, watching dvd's and browsing the intarweb, its like any oher laptop, however, the macbook itself is beautiful, very light, very small (13.3 inch screen is perfect for uni, much better than large 15.4 inch thing that blocks peoples view and allows people to look over ur shoulder)

the looks were more of a motivation for me Xd

PS: make sure you actually touch a macbooks keys, the experience of typing is like an orgasm each keystroke, thats how nice and soft and quiet it types .. !

Cereesha

Fledgling Freddie
don't shoot me, but you might even want to consider a dell laptop. they offer good value for their money...

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie

PS: make sure you actually touch a macbooks keys, the experience of typing is like an orgasm each keystroke, thats how nice and soft and quiet it types .. !

Fairplay, it's not often i slam macs and someone comes back and says they liked the looks. Normally I get a buchn of weak arse technical arguments. :drink:

soze

I am a FH squatter
mac offers everything a student could need, its a very neat looking OS, has great utility, very easy and quick to learn and handle - for the purpose of taking notes, listening to music, watching dvd's and browsing the intarweb, its like any oher laptop, however, the macbook itself is beautiful, very light, very small (13.3 inch screen is perfect for uni, much better than large 15.4 inch thing that blocks peoples view and allows people to look over ur shoulder)

And for the money you spent on your macbook you could have got a sony viao that looks better has an identical keyboard and a 13.3 screen. But also runs windows. ;)

Adari

Part of the furniture
no the vaio C series have really loud sounding keys, which is rly annoying to people around you when taking notes

and pft the orange line around it is just so ugly

Howley

Fledgling Freddie
well from what ive learned mac > windows in terms of security etc... so for college (if u aint planning on running games) it might be a good idea to get a mac.

and tbh i think windows vista sucks so next time i get a pc/laptop it will be a mac :ninja:

Agrigo

Can't get enough of FH
I read the repots and thought ahhh , that would be nice to have, then I looked at random new games i have such as C&C3 and realised that to get vista and games to work the same as on xp, I have to get a better system . :/

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Mac OS is awesome for desktop use and you can install XP on it too if you really want to :cool: Going from Windows to Mac OS is easy but going from Mac OS to Windows OS makes you cry :S

If you can afford MacBook go for it - it has recently been updated so its good time to buy it. On the other hand the cheapest laptop would probably serve you well enough :p

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
jees please dont look at the software when thining about buying hard ware

you can run mac os on x86 see google tiger os for pc you can also run the other way around of course

not to forget unix based os (this being the most secure option but of not easy to get right)

i currently have
redhat
fedora core
BDos
xp pro
vista
tiger os
so please dont chose hard where for the os and you have any falvour you like

as for hard ware if its a uni laptop i'm guessing you want someing cheap and reliable hence why i think the mac note book should be ruled out as its not cheap and at work i have seen more problems with them

both dell and toshiba do some good base line model that might suit your needs

if you want to hock up to your uni network might be worth asking them what they reconmend (are it dept sell's old system to sudents when we replace and you never know your luck)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom