Lappie Top Tops

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
So im looking for a laptop between £1,200-400.

I have a few demands!!!

Need it to be able to play games decently/well. Even if just for a few hours - like WoW, DAoC, maybe even that really highly detailed RPG cant remember what its called. So good graphics etc. I can get one of those icepack things to reduce heat so :D

Needs to be still be considered adequate for games in a years time

Needs atleast a CD/RW drive. Not too beeshed about a DVD writer, but would be a plus, a DVD player drive would be good for films.

Has to have good connectivity, wireless + atleast 2 USB ports.

Decent sized screen, bigger the better but i know screen size is a big factor in price.

So basicly a good gaming laptop i guess. Any good recomendations?

Someone told me about http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...AptR9saS/0.PSLID?mco=26BBDC17&nclm=MacBookPro but imo overpriced gayness, crap ram and will be alot more about looks.

Stanny

Fledgling Freddie
Get an alienware one :p Love mine, bit of a beast to put on your lap, especially with all the fans blowing hot air on your crotch and making you sweat.... but brilliant for games.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Stanny said:
Get an alienware one :p Love mine, bit of a beast to put on your lap, especially with all the fans blowing hot air on your crotch and making you sweat.... but brilliant for games.

Links?

the XPS one seems a bit expensive. Does it allow for broadband connection? :S

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Darksword said:
Links?

the XPS one seems a bit expensive. Does it allow for broadband connection? :S

if you think xps is expensive... dont even look at alienware. I doubt you'll get a lappy to run "oblivion" anywhere near as well as a desktop though.

When you said broadband... do you mean like ethernet?

The alienware top range laptops come in at a pocket breaking $4,500 http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/notebook_all_default.aspx

Stanny

Fledgling Freddie
mine came to under £1600 and that's 1gb ram, 3.4 ghz p4 with HT, FX 6800 go, cd/rw/dvd, 17" widescreen

technology has changed and mine's not on sale anymore, just checked the site and omg the prices!

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
Stanny said:
mine came to under £1600 and that's 1gb ram, 3.4 ghz p4 with HT, FX 6800 go, cd/rw/dvd, 17" widescreen

technology has changed and mine's not on sale anymore, just checked the site and omg the prices!

to be honest, having a 19" widescreen on a laptop is fucking insane (as in the price of the one I listed), my monitor on my desktop is 19" and thats pretty huge imo.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
rayzor said:
Try rock.

I just bought one of these ( http://www.rockdirect.com/notebooks/xtremect_cons.htm ) with 256MB nVidia G0 7800 GTX card in it and its great. It has handled anything I've chucked at it so far, not tried Oblivion yet thou ;).
Great screen too. Came out at £1500.

Yeh read a review of a gaming laptop from rock ro something about a year and or so ago i think and it got a few awards for gaming which seemed cool.

I dont really care if my laptop cant run oblivion too much, id just like to know it will be able to run DAoC, WoW and most probably Warhammer when it comes out in a year or so's time.

Thanks for the advice guys ill keep looking

That $4,499 laptop is badass!

Ati

One of Freddy's beloved
Ehem,

Pretty much all "awards" are fixed and paid for, ignore them.

Del XPS is far far far too overrated, unless it has some hidden spec i cannot see from there.
Alienware, lol ignore them
Rock ones seem fine

Frankly if I were you and speaking to you I'd shop around mesh/hp/compaq area as frankly they are all the best when it comes to upgrades and warranties . they also supply some fantastic computers.

Cynix

Banned
Darksword said:
$4,499 laptop is badass!
And over priced, Dell also own alienware as well now both 2 bags of shite companys. Why not have a complete utter badass desktop for 1600? Laptops were not made for games.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Cynix said:
And over priced, Dell also own alienware as well now both 2 bags of shite companys. Why not have a complete utter badass desktop for 1600? Laptops were not made for games.

obviously not getting hte $4.5grand laptop haha.

And because i need it for more than just games but primarily for games :p need it to do work at different places, move between uni and home and studying etc so a desktop computer isnt really viable. I dont mind having a heavy laptop/large laptop since most the time i'll still be using it on tables just need to be able to move it easily etc.

Cynix

Banned
Darksword said:
obviously not getting hte $4.5grand laptop haha.

And because i need it for more than just games but primarily for games :p need it to do work at different places, move between uni and home and studying etc so a desktop computer isnt really viable. I dont mind having a heavy laptop/large laptop since most the time i'll still be using it on tables just need to be able to move it easily etc.
Going to cost you a fortune though and still won't be anywhere near as good as a pc. Good your not buying that lol the actual parts are worth around $2-2.5k.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=61674

and

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=61665

Found these 2 with help from Ati, coudl anyone help specify the major differences between these 2? Im going for the second one, pretty much for definate unless anyone knows of a cheaper one thats better?

Also is there much major difference between the ASUS A67a and the Rock XCY 2.13? found here http://www.rockdirect.com/notebooks/xtremect_cons.htm

sorry to be such a noob :D

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
- seems to me like the Mesh one is better than the rock one? heeelp.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
dont go 21" screen, its not really a laptop but a desktop replacement.
I dont tend to take mine anywhere unless i have to as its quite heavy and huge

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Chronictank said:
dont go 21" screen, its not really a laptop but a desktop replacement.
I dont tend to take mine anywhere unless i have to as its quite heavy and huge

Yeh 21" would be a bit bgi but i mean i dont mind really, its mainly a desktop replacement that i can bring back home etc and can move about to use every now and then if/when i need to. the Mesh one is like 15.4" i think, is that too small for games/ :S

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Commandment said:
u got one? they reliable?

a mate of mine does :)

Just make sure if you get a laptop you get one with core duo otherwise its not worth it.

Standard Centrinos are quite high power gaming wise, stay away from standard athlon laptops and standard P4's.

Anything with 2gb of ddr, a decent processor and at least a 7800 mobile gpu will do fine for games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom