Laggy, buggy and dull SWG?

O

old.Cordain

Well now that Euro launch is really close I see people stating that they will skip SWG because of bugs and bad reputation that other are spreading of it.

I am only a novice in three elite professions so I cant say much about the end game but I have had much fun with SWG up to date. Sure people who grind 24/7 and aim solely on force sensitive character slot are getting bored but power players face it in every game. Some games can keep even the hardcore power players happy but the advancement in those is usually artificially made harder (ie. EQ and DAOC).

As I didnt play it from the launch I missed most of the really horrible bugs. Actually I can only think of one bug that annoys me and that is the crashing of chat channels. I can still play fine and groups can still go about but it gets a bit lonely if you are soloing in the wild and cant chat with guild or friends.
Its a major bug so I cant see a reason why SOE would not try to solve it as soon as possible.

Many people whine about the daily server down time.
Its around 4am? in the time zone where the servers are and where the majority of players are supposed to be (it US launch after all) and still people get upset if the servers are down for more than hour. So if 20-22 hours/day uptime is not enought for you then you will get dissapointed. I am sure that expecting 24/7 service will dissapoint you in other areas of life too.
I have played about 5 weeks and I have seen 3 servers crashes and 6 or so CTD's. I can live with that.

SWG has by the far best roleplaying tools of all the MMORPG's currently on the market. You can make your character really unique looking at the creation and you can customize it further in the game by the aid of Image Designers (player profession). Clothing and armor combinations are allmost endless.
Weapons look pretty much alike. The models are so tiny though that it doesnt bother me much but still dev's are going to add more so those who feel that SWG is total crap because your pistol looks like the pistol other people use are getting some comfort too.

Those who say SWG is dull are most likely Master Everything with unlimited credit funds. I seriously doubt they made it that far with casual caming but even if you did so what? I finished Max Payne in 10 hours but it was still a good game. Im not still playing it for hours and saying its a crap game for lacking content.

You dont have to group like in other games. You will do better with a good group but you dont have to set your alarm clock so you can get in one just to finish those last few levels.

Patches are frequent and even those who do nothing but bitch in forums (try Tech Support section for the really juicy ones) agree that the dev's work hard. Nerfs are nothing like the ones in DAOC and the balance is agreeable once you get it in your head that its too late to remove pets from the game. (fyi in beta people were afraid that CH would be useless so dev's made them happy..)
Interesting side note: word Pokemon will be edited by the bbs software in SWG boards =)

All in all I think SWG is worth the money even if you only play it for the duration of free month.
Quit when you feel its not fun anymore.
I did that with UO, DAOC, SB, WWIIOL and PS and I have only good memories of those.

(Feel free to trash the game as long as you bring out the positive sides too.
There are enought of "I hate this and I will quit" posts.. about every game really.)

A

amuse

WELL SAID!

i totaly agree with u, sure, there are bugs, but the game is so big, that if u spread the total amounts of bugs all ower it, its less bugs than in DAoC, and i know this, couse i played daoc for a year or so..

and here u dont have one side that has all the greate chars (midsgard in daoc with spiritmasters, savages and healers), all the sides has acces to the same proffesions, and this makes the game more realistic, its not like England cant get Snipers becouse USA already has them :)

and DONT go flaming the DEVs, they are working hard, and its a big game to fix, and for every patch they fix more than the DAoC DEVs could ever dream of :p

and some roumors that ive heard is that the game was released to early becouse SOE was runing oute of money to spend on the project, so thats why it was so buggy in the start..

well enugh said from my side :)

W

|WarpiG|

Laggy and buggy yes... dull not for me :)
It has its problems, and it seems like they fix one thing and nerf another... but i still enjoy hunting on dathomir, tracking bounty hunter camps around mos eisley and tracking krayt dragons...

So far i have mastered most of the basic professions apart from entertainer and brawler, but surrendered most of them in favour of Creature handler and Ranger...

Unfortunatly, Ranger must be the most pathetic profession in the game. Sounds great on paper... being able to hide from view, a wide array of traps, camps that repell agresive creatures and can serve as a staging area for large hunts, and the ability to track players and npc's and a bonus to terrain negotiation...

...But when conseal is about as effective as /maskscent, camps cant even repel durni's and an extra 2 traps that fail constatly, not to mention the inability to throw anything at another player!!? the only thing worth having is tracking and even that wont show critters that spawn from lairs, and has problems if the target is above of below your current hight...

As for bugs... wait until your datapad goes blank for a fewdays, really cripples a CH :p ... or you appear offline to everyone, unable to send a /tell... or your 100K pistol decides its had enough fun and goes poof :/

Z

-Ziro-

I agree though I must say the chat bugs (that had been screwing chat up all weekend) was really starting to annoy me.
Finally working again today so not gonna moan about it now :)

SWG is a great game and I especially like the market community which makes the game so much more interesting.

I, however, kinda regret the career paths I've chosen (you may take this as a warning :)) I'm fully specced LLC BH and I think I know now what it's like to play savage in daoc. I'm pretty sure the LLC along with flamethrower is the most boring weapon you can choose. It's overpowered but it's dull as #@%&.

Two nights ago I went with a small group to raid Bestine (PvP) I think we were 4 commandos and 3 BHs + some other peeps. We pretty much killed everything that walked or crawled till the imps gathered an army and banished us :p

Anyways what I did was run around just attacking every imp and trying to "sneak" up to ~17 metres distance and fire lightning single 2. This special will 1 shoot everything non buffed and buffed too if you hit mind (eventually I was killed by the very same thing leaving me with 899/900 health wound :p). But imagine the boredom.
Basically I was using 7 buttons in PvP where 4 of them I used to move around, lol.

I'm currently looking into other proffesions as I'm also CH which has major changes coming up (good ones I might add). If I don't I'll quit this game out of boredom as PvP was one of the things I was really looking forward to.

I love this game :) just trying to sat the ubar weaps might be tempting but it aint much fun, every mopron can pwn with a LLC or flamethrower in PvP.

Regards

O

Olgark

The servers go down at 4am EST ?

mmmm then that would mean the EU servers might go down at about 12 to 1 pm. each day for a hour. Unless they seperate the down times to mirror the time here.

F

Faeldawn

If they ever improve the content of SWG i will resubscribe, but its just too damned boring after a few months.

The crafting system is awesome, was really impressed with that, but PvE is so dull and PvP is extremely poor (although does have potential).

Best things about SWG? The cantinas, Jabba's Palace, killing jawa's, Krayt Dragons and Gnorts :)

O

Olgark

But its still a relativly new game. In some respects all MMORGs start with little content and gradualy build up as the player population gets larger.
DAoC was the same the people who managed to get to level 50 in the first month left shortly after due to no content to the game, and now there is a expansion and also a few new zones added to the game along with realm abilities to keep people playing.

Same with Everquest and Ultima Online. I liked EQ and its the same guys that are in charge of making SWG Variant , so I am interested in how they have brought the Star Wars universe to life for this game.

I just hope they have done it better than the Rogue Squadren series. :rolleyes:

O

Olgark

Originally posted by amuse
WELL SAID!

i totaly agree with u, sure, there are bugs, but the game is so big, that if u spread the total amounts of bugs all ower it, its less bugs than in DAoC, and i know this, couse i played daoc for a year or so..

and here u dont have one side that has all the greate chars (midsgard in daoc with spiritmasters, savages and healers),

you forgot to mention how uber the Friar, Paladin, Infiltrator and Reaver is .... ummm 4 Albion classes there if I am not mistaken.

All new online games have bugs DAoC had bugs when it went live on the Europe servers and still has a few minor bugs as well. To name a few.
falling through the city streets in Jordhiem and ending up in Gotar dead.
The Spindelah short cut where you could walk through the wall to get to your last bind point.

Bonedancers archer pets run off on their own taking the skeleton comander with them:/

The albion Necros parking their pets inside walls so you could not attack them.....
and the list goes on.

EQ and Ultima online has been around for ages and still there are old bugs and new bugs every patch. Each time there is new content there will be a bug somewhere.

A

amuse

All new online games have bugs DAoC had bugs when it went live on the Europe servers and still has a few minor bugs as well. To name a few.
falling through the city streets in Jordhiem and ending up in Gotar dead.
The Spindelah short cut where you could walk through the wall to get to your last bind point.

Bonedancers archer pets run off on their own taking the skeleton comander with them:/

The albion Necros parking their pets inside walls so you could not attack them.....
and the list goes on.

EQ and Ultima online has been around for ages and still there are old bugs and new bugs every patch. Each time there is new content there will be a bug somewhere. [/B][/QUOTE]

true.. also the TONS of bad bugs the necromansers have... think of it like this: a CH has a single pet, that keeps running off.. the only thing the CH can use, is a few low pistol attacks (marksman) and some A stims, other than that the pet has some nice attacks, but takes 5 secs to react to what u are telling it, and the pet can take aboute as much damage as a minor wort.. thats just a few of the bugs/bad things.. o, and the pet has NO special prot of any kind...

and to the albion classes: friars can NEVER beat a savage in 1 on 1, and the only thing the pally is good for is the chants, and blocking some hits, the minstrel is HARD to play, and aint realy that greate, if that was the case, there would be more of them...
Albion doesnt have any INSTANT cast AOE mezz, and no chainwaring healer that can stunn, heal, mezz(insta aoe and normals)
ouer main mezzer is a cloth wearing sorc, that takes aboute 1 hit from a savage to go down.

and reavers, LOL.. not so good.. what do they have? some spells, not that good dmg.. no room for them in the "uber" pvp grps couse they have less dmg than a merc..

and infils, yes, they are good. but so? some1 has to have the best stealther class... if not the game would be boring (it is as an alb after a year of playing)

and i forgot to mention the bonedancers, with their owerpowerd lifetaps.. thats a caster class that cant be killed by a infiltrator, and one of the most boring classes to play.. the basic is: press "attack" on the pet controll, spam lifetap, and blam, u have soloed 5 albs

Edit: but enugh aboute DAOC, this is the SWG forum... i just cant leave i discussion alone :p

G

granny

Originally posted by Olgark
you forgot to mention how uber the Friar, Paladin, Infiltrator and Reaver is .... ummm 4 Albion classes there if I am not mistaken.

Can I just say... LOL :p

Friars & Infs are good classes, Pally's are end bots, reavers are cannon fodder.

G

granny

But back to SWG, yeah it needs a lot more content and if they devs don't stop nerfing they're going to lose a lot more people (including me).

I've been playing for 2 months now and they need to do 3 things to keep me more than another month:

1) Stop nerfing. I hate being nerfed more than anything else in mmo's.

2) Provide a fuckton more content, especially high-end content.

3) Shift the balance more evenly between classes. Right now the only classes worth playing (unless you like being poor and esentially useless) are commandos, BH's and weapon/armoursmiths.

W

|WarpiG|

Im hoping that once mounts and Player citys are live the dev's will work on more game content... or they could start by fixing what content they have already added.

So far i have done 4 or 5 quests... 3 of them ended (or didnt end i should say) with broken missions...
I got a cool krayt skull from one! and I also found a night sister protector that sent me to the spider clan cave... i would have been ok but my pets fell thou the floor of the cave and the npc's slapped me silly :/

Would like to see the warren soon, or visit the caves on dantooine but all with the holocrap hunters camping these places there aint much point at the moment :(

oh an i really want the invisible players bug fixed...

O

old.FIN

there r loads more chars to play than just BH and commando...

and weaponsmiths aint so uber as u think, immaking 1 just to provide my own guns

i like my spec, as its good always =)

W

|WarpiG|

hey fin, ill be dropping by your store for another crate of your really nice stim c's

any chance you can whip up a crate of 50 with as many charges / max heal as possible? Not to bothered about the ease of use as i have lvl 4 pharmacology :)

O

Olgark

ok back on track.

Is SWG out at the end of this week cause if so its been auwfully quiet, as EB dont have it on their release schedual.

E

Ebonn

Originally posted by granny

3) Shift the balance more evenly between classes. Right now the only classes worth playing (unless you like being poor and esentially useless) are commandos, BH's and weapon/armoursmiths.

Rubbish!

W

|WarpiG|

Im a master CH and ranger, im also the only member of DH that grinds missions for cash making about 200K on bolma missions every other day.

heavy harvesters and factorys hurt my wallet :)

O

old.FIN

Warpig, i will make some Stim c's to u, when im near at my house , haveng flue and high fewer after some work stress aint helping much =)

but i make asap when it just be possible to me

W

|WarpiG|

/CHEER

thanks bud, send me a mail wen u ready an ill trot over one night to your vendor :)

R

rynnor

1) Stop nerfing. I hate being nerfed more than anything else in mmo's.

I'm starting in SWG once the Euro servers launch - what classes have been nerfed and which look like they'll be nerfed soon so I know what to avoid?

G

granny

Originally posted by |WarpiG|
Im a master CH and ranger, im also the only member of DH that grinds missions for cash making about 200K on bolma missions every other day.

heavy harvesters and factorys hurt my wallet :)

Hmm, you got good combat skills too? Cos after they nerf the shit out of CH soon things'll get a lot harder :/

G

granny

Originally posted by rynnor
I'm starting in SWG once the Euro servers launch - what classes have been nerfed and which look like they'll be nerfed soon so I know what to avoid?

Creature Handler has been nerfed constantly from day 1 and is about to get serious smite cleric treatment.

Commando I would imagine is gonna get nerfed next, far too many people actually play that class and enjoy it.

Combat Medic due for nerfing soon too, another class that works & is fun to play.

Bounty Hunters are getting their best shot moved to master only.

No need to nerf Droid Engineers, Squad Leaders or melee classes, none of them work anyway...

Riflemen & Carbineers seem to be pretty much useless, at least judging by the complaints.

Chef doesn't work still, at all.

Hmm...

Image Designer seems safe, you'd probably not be nerfed if you played one of them. Or an entertainer, they seem safe(ish).

W

|WarpiG|

Hmm, you got good combat skills too? Cos after they nerf the shit out of CH soon things'll get a lot harder :/

0/0/0/2 in pistoleer
04/0/4 in marksman

working on that combat xp every chance i get :)
if its that bad ill drop ranger until they make more traps or make the camps more effective

tbh the ch nerf wont really bother me that much, having 2 high level pets out is nice but not really necessary, and most of the time its overkill. 1 rancor or mauler is still a good tank

so i wont be able to solo as many groups of large social animals anymore...

i will be able to tell my spider to mind poison you on command :)

i will miss my 3 dewbacks though :(

E

Ebonn

Says a.... commando! :p

Bleugh, i dropped commando over a month ago becouse it was useless, i just havent updated my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom