Lag

O

old.Gecko

As a 56ker I'm used to a certain amount of lag, but 250-300 is near enough impossible to play with. I realise that BW suffered a 'blip' at 10pm tonight, but to be honest every match I've played in has had rounds of extreme lag for everyone, and at the best of times it's a good 50ms above average. Tonight was particularly bad, but it's never been acceptable.

Now if this was just me I'd grin and bear it, but I'm pretty sure you could ask just about any users of the BW CS servers, and they'd agree that it's always been pretty poor.

I realise that all clans are in the same boat, but my clan ([Styleee]) is largely made up of 56kers, so basically anything above the norm (150-170) completely screws our game.

I understand BW has been suffering from some 'routing problems', but surely you must have some clout with your provider? I mean ping is just about the most important thing when it comes to online gaming, and in a league scenario this situation unacceptable.

I'd love to make a stand and quit BWCSL, but it's so hard getting in to leagues these days, it's just not worth it. But still, I'm not going to sit through yet another match where we get slaughtered as a result of our less than playable ping.

I don't expect this post will change anything, but it's the best way I could think of making my rather pointless stand. I love the BWCSL and it's very well organised, but it hurts playing at 250 :(

R

RogueOne

Actually, since we switched over to HLGuard, things have been pretty decent on the ping front for most clans, although there was some disruption to the 10PMs on Tuesday night, with a single total connectivity blip at about 10:10PM followed by 30 minutes or so of erratic pings. In addition, several ISPs, including BT's broadband and narrowband divisions and, I believe, Freeserve, were experiencing problems on Tuesday night that contributed to the problem significantly.

I should point out that most modem ISPs these days are not suited to gaming at all, compared with how they were a couple of years ago. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new here, but an upgrade to broadband or ISDN would be an extremely good move for your online gaming.

O

old.Gecko

Originally posted by RogueOne
Actually, since we switched over to HLGuard, things have been pretty decent on the ping front for most clans
I'll admit there's been an improvement, but it's still not great.
In addition, several ISPs, including BT's broadband and narrowband divisions and, I believe, Freeserve, were experiencing problems on Tuesday night that contributed to the problem significantly.
We we're playing just before on our clan server (Jolt) and it was fine as usual, and again I must stress that this wasn't a one off - we almost always get lag problems in BWCSL matches.
I should point out that most modem ISPs these days are not suited to gaming at all, compared with how they were a couple of years ago. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new here, but an upgrade to broadband or ISDN would be an extremely good move for your online gaming.
Again, in any Jolt server (I don't use any others, so I'm not sure how they compare) I'll get stable pings of 150. It has been this way ever since I've been using Freeserve, and if anything pings have improved over the last year. Yes broadband would be nice, but I can't get it in my area. More to the point, for the most part I'm perfectly happy with my ping and enjoy many a competetive game of CS.

I've calmed down a bit from the other night :) I realise that most of the factors are out of your control, but it doesn't stop it being really annoying :)

B

blunt^

Could you not use a barrysworld dialup for bwcsl matches, this may improve your ping.

O

old.Morlok

I've played 3 of our 4 matchs so far and each time my ping has been 3 times my normal (40-50). All of 5SI are on cable or ADSL and we all have the same high pings. Its not just us as you can see from this screen shot of our last match. Pings where like that for 90% of the match.

We've been looking to rent a server but this has ruled out BW now which is a shame.

de_chateau0001.jpg

R

RogueOne

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the strain placed on the server by chateau wasn't slightly too much, since we continued to have periodic problems throughout the week. With dust2 being the week 5 map and not being anything like so resource hungry, we'll find out for certain pretty soon.

B

blunt^

I find I get my best ping on Barrysworld. Always between 15-40, Also the other day i was averging 15 and it was going as low as 10 sometimes :D Im on Blueyonder 256k cable and I live in Surrey, not sure if it just my location but I think Barrysworld is the best around.

O

old.wellers

It's not solely limited to 56kers. Twice this season my clan (=OMEGA=) have been in a situation where we have had lag problems and also problems with bullets not registering.

Last week I thought that the problem had been solved, prodigy ran quite nicely for us and we had a convincing victory. However, last night we had problems.

On Jolt servers me and my ISDN clan mates get 60/70 and 80 at the most. On Barrysworld 80 would be impressive, as my clan is comprised of 56kers and ISDN (due to our being located in rural Devon) this is obviously not an ideal situation. The 56kers struggle on magnificently with their upwards of 200 pings...given a decent one they would be amazing.

For those of us on dial-ups Barrysworld is not suitable, the BW dialup did help at one point when I played on a Barrys bookable but now that it is no longer in operation there is nothing we can do.

It's such a shame cos I'm really enjoying the league and its well organised BUT, there is this major problem that faces those people who can not possibly get broadband (unless BT are willing to bring it to the countryside...yes...thats going to happen really soon, I can tell - that's irony btw).

You preach it Gecks mate, its a problem that doesnt affect the larger clobber of those people who have got the better connections so the little men as it were go unheeded

R

RogueOne

The "hits not registering" issue was due to a bug in CSGuard. CSGuard was replaced at the end of week 2, hence the improved performance in week 3. As I've said above, it seems that the problems this week were caused by the map and the load it places upon the server. As such, I don't think we'll be using chateau again next season unless we get a server upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom