KVM switch question

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Ok ive been using a KVM switch for a little while to control my 2 accounts on different PCs ( only the video part i do have a seperate mouse/keyboard) however when using the switch the image becomes slightly blurry and/or the colours are slightly off. It is still playable as they are only slight but it does hurt my eyes if I play for more than a few hours without break and I worry that it might be damaging the monitor. I was wondering if this was normal when using KVM switches? I am using a relatively budget OEM switch, I returned it and exchanged it thinking that it was just faulty but the replacement switch hasnt really changed anything.. If this isnt normal can someone perhaps recommend a reputable brand for KVM switches.

Kicks

Fledgling Freddie
I'm using a 2 port KVM switch in the same way you are and have no problems what-so-ever although in my case I'm swapping both mouse and monitor control (not kb). The one I'm using is a D-Link DKVM-2.

I would suggest checking the 3 monitor cables if you are able to unplug from the back of your monitor. Try manually switching the monitor cables, without using the switch, and see if you get the same problem if you don't then it's almost certainly a faulty switch.

Thugs

Fledgling Freddie
I C

So obviously both base units are using the same monitor. Right but the image is getting blurry? Hang on. The switch does sod all but redirect the signal. Have been using the same setup for years and not a bit offa problem. Monitor m8. Wot you using?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
does sounds more like a monitor issue rather than KVM issue, chk referesh rates etc and make sure both pc's have correct monitor drivers installed.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
It does not appear to be a monitor issue as it runs fine when directly connected. Kicks I think you are right it is most likely a faulty unit, which makes 2 out of 2 units of this unbranded gear that have failed. I guess its time to move to a brand name model. Thanks for all your input everyone.

Thorarin

Fledgling Freddie
There are several possibilities:

• You're using cables that are too long and/or insufficiently shielded
  • The switch doesn't have enough video bandwidth. If you have set a higher refresh rate that necessary, try lowering it to 75 or something workable. Lowering the resolution is also in option, but probably less desirable. (200 MHz signal is a common practical limit on modern economy switches)
  • The switch sucks and is just not properly shielded internally ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom