geroge rr martin & robin hobb's assassin trilogy >>>>> WoT

discuss ^^

T

Tenko

Not much discussion as its true.

Simple really

J

Jonaldo

That was actually a shit thread tho, people started abusing it in the same typical 'one line of text and may as well be an irc/msn/icq conversation'.
Nice job Krypt! :)

P

- Pathfinder -

Originally posted by Novamir
LOTR > all those!

Tolkien managed one believable character in LotR, and he promptly killed him off :m00:

Anyway, Eriksson > Martin >>> Jordan :m00:

K

klavrynd

tolkien bores me quicker then the telephone book

sod intelligent magic,i want pulp with huge fireballs and enourmous summons

and maybe some terry pratchett

D

Damon_D

WoT is some nice book's sure the later one's aint as good as the first one's...Wish he would cut down on the girl chatter in em thou... And give one handed spears for midgaard warriors so I can RP an Aiel ;) Terry Goodkind is nice too I think.. Richard Rahl kick's some major butt

S

SilverHood

Raymond E Fiest is pretty cool

and LE Modesitt jr is probably the best first person perspective write I have encountered so far. And he has a believable magic system in his books... only WoT has managed that in my fantasy readings

D

Damon_D

The magic system in "The Sword of Truth " by Terry Goodkind is quit similar to the magic sytem in WoT..Magic is not something everybody weilds.. but those who do can kick some major poo

D

Danya

One of these days I'll read some Eriksson and see what path is babbling about. :p
Martin > Jordan tho :-o

T

Teh Krypt

Brinx make me an offtopic mod so I can pwn this thread that should be mine :<

C

Cush

Only read Jordan.. maybe have to go pick up soem books by Martin

O

old.Vae

Something I knocked up for my guild a while ago:

<looks at book collection>

You've probably come across most of these but I thought i'd list some and maybe it'll give some of you ideas for ones to try. Might do SciFi and other books at a later point.

Fantasy:
George RR Martin: Song of Ice and Fire - Ace series
Raymond E.Feist: Magician etc Series - Probably my favourite series
R E Feist + Janny Wurts: Daughter of the Empire trilogy - Also superb
Janny Wurts: The Curse of the Mistwraith - She's a lot weaker on her own than with Feist - A reasonable read.
Robin Hobb: Royal Assassin trilogy - excellent series
: Liveship trilogy - I think rather weaker than assassin ones
Mickey Zucker Reichart: Last of the Renshai - Superb series of books, mainly based in norse mythology.
David Eddings: Both of his series are basicly the same (you can even spot the practically same chars) but they are a fun easy read
Terry Pratchett - Books vary in quality - Mostly superb but everyone prefers different ones.
George Lucas & Chris Claremont: Shadow Moon / Dawn - set after the film Willow but very good books (a lot better than suggested by the film).
Terry Goodkind: Wizards First Rule etc - A more mature story like George RR Martin - highly recommended.
Mary Gentle: Ash - Very good book. Purports to be a historian looking back at Burgundy and Carthage and uncovering evidence that Carthage never died when supposed and had Golems etc and wiped out Burgundy hence it not being inthe history books.
Tad Williams: Memory, Sorrow, Thorn etc - Very long books but quite good
Otherland: (Scifi/Fantasy/Internet crossover) - Highly recommended but again quite long books.
David Gemmell: Mostly similar stories but well written. Short and easy to read. Some stand out such as the Waylander and Jon Shannow ones.
Stephen Lawhead: Taliesen, Merlin, Arthur, Pendragon - Takes a very magical view on the Arthur tales - Worth reading though
In the Hall of the Dragon King, Empyrion etc - A lot weaker than his Arthurian books.
Bernard Cornwall: A much more rooted in reality view on Arthur and well worth reading.
AA Attansio: Arthor - Arthur again - probably less superior to the above ones
RA Salvatore: Icewind Dale Trilogy, Dark Elf Trilogy + extras, Cleric Quintet - All superb books
Other Forgotten Realms Books: Vary in quality with the author.
Dragonlance books: Quality also varies with author, Legend of Huma is one of the better ones.
Weis & Hickman: Dragonlance Twins and Dragons books - pretty damn good too
Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time - Hmm I have them all but although the story is quite good it's FAR too long and getting boring now. Certain similarities with Terry Goodkind too.
Terry Brooks: Magic Kingdom for Sale - Very funny and enjoyable few books.
Shannara: Read it but never really got into it - lacked something.
Running with the demon etc - Much better than Shannara but still inferior than Magic Kingdom. Still worth reading.
Stephen Donaldson: Thomas Covenant - I think you either love or hate these - Possibly the slowest books I have ever read but pretty good regardless.
Anne Macaffrey: Pern books (Scifi/Fantasy crossover)- Vary in quality but overall pretty good. I prefer her telepath books though.
JV Jones: Bakers Boy - Pretty Good trilogy and worth reading.
A Cavern of Black Ice - Weaker than Bakers Boy trilogy
LE Modesitt Jr: The Magic of Recluce - Pretty good series
The Soprano Sorceress - Weaker than the Recluce ones
Katherine Kerr: Daggerspell etc, Time of Omens etc - Quite good couple of trilogys
Piers Anthony: Never really got into his books - only read a couple and seemed ok but didn't grab me.
Maggie Furey: Aurian series - Not bad but there are lots better.
Allan Cole and Chris Bunch: The Far Kingdoms- An ok read but nothing stands out.

S

SilverHood

LE Modesitt Jr: The Magic of Recluce - Pretty good series
The Soprano Sorceress - Weaker than the Recluce ones

you missed the fact that they are told from a first person perspective... ;)
First fantasy author I have ever seen do that. :)

P

- Pathfinder -

I can't see Erikson or Harlan on your list, blasphemer! :m00:

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by Damon Doombring
The magic system in "The Sword of Truth " by Terry Goodkind is quit similar to the magic sytem in WoT..Magic is not something everybody weilds.. but those who do can kick some major poo

too bad the lead Richard is too dumb to actually use in 99% of the time..
or he's hamstringed due to some silly plot developement...
all you really ever hear is talk about what he's suppost to be able to do...

A

Arnor

Originally posted by mirieth
terry pratchet > all! :D

seconded!!

and tolkien just because without him this shit would be alot different/non-existant

B

boromire

Can't really get into fantasy other than tolkein, but my shelves are mostly stocked with Andy McNab and Benard Cromwell.

PS. sry if I missed the total point of this topic :p

M

mirieth

Originally posted by boromire
Can't really get into fantasy other than tolkein, but my shelves are mostly stocked with Andy McNab and Benard Cromwell.

isn't it bernard cornwell, not cromwell? or are they different authors? i enjoyed bernard cornwell's "the warlord chronicles" very much :).

B

boromire

Hehe, sorry about my awful spelling, I mean the author who did the Sharpe serise and Stonehenge etc.

Users who are viewing this thread