Kotatku DAOC article

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Good read. Am really not missing the game in the slightest - experiencing the highlights of every part of the game, trying out Uthgard initially, getting bored with it, then moving on to a freeshard called Eden and having a blast until it closed. Can't imagine every playing it again.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I'm waiting to see how the cash shops works out for them on live, if it works out I'm pretty sure they'll make DAOC F2P which would give a huge boost to the player base.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I resubbed on live again and just powerlevelling a bit and completing quests. Not even bothering with PvP at the moment, completely pointless as a player who hasn't played in a few years.

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
I resubbed on live again and just powerlevelling a bit and completing quests. Not even bothering with PvP at the moment, completely pointless as a player who hasn't played in a few years.

So how is it nowadays. I've been feeling the pull of the game nearly constantly these last years and I thought it was actually completely dead nowadays.
Come to think of it, DaoC has always been a drug for me.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I haven't played in awhile but the last time I did play it wasn't in a good place (imo), they are trying to fix it though as said (which is good)

Solic Archers

Can't get enough of FH
I've recently quit DAoC due to real life stuff but yeah the game isn't what it used to be. I think Broadsword are trying to hard with things that don't need to be implemented. I also think they need to stop with the cap increase of items and start building PvE for the future so players can farm gear rather than buying from merchants 3 times a year. I just feel the game has been turned upside down where the Freeshard seems to be the real DAoC and the live servers seem to be the fake DAoC if u know what i mean. I've not played Uthgard but I know the memories of levelling 1-50 and the old style of playing and i feel that will always be the true DAoC. The live servers are far from it and I don't think I'll ever return even in the future.

Sad that I'm saying this but I just don't see things improving in the live servers.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
They need to revert to a simple game model, it worked, it was easy to template for, people knew how it worked. I agree the constant changes aren't good.

Solic Archers

Can't get enough of FH
They need to revert to a simple game model, it worked, it was easy to template for, people knew how it worked. I agree the constant changes aren't good.

I totally agree,

The game has no identity anymore, it's like they've toned down so much that most of the content in the game is piss easy to do. They also need to work on bringing DAoC more of a friendly new and returning game. Having supplies quest out in NF is ludicrous, it's like feeding these poor new players to the dogs. PvE stays on PvE side and RvR stays on RvR side, there shouldn't be this cluster of both because it ruins both parts of the game. I loved the raids back in the day by killing the dragon, Master level 10 (Draco), Pictish campaign, Galladoria raid, Summoners Hall etc and this is what they need to revert too. Let players get decent gear and then send them out to NF. That's what it used to be like and should stay like.

It's funny because I had one person come up to me a few days before I quit the game and he was a returning player and he said that this is the worst experience I've had of playing DAoC. I got ganked 100 times out in NF trying to do the supplies and was thinking what an earth are Broadsword doing, trying to push new and returning players away because it looks to be that way.

If Broadsword want a good game it's bringing a simple model like you said BloodOmen and keeping it like that. If they want to bring out a new event with amazing cool glow or colour then fine but don't up the caps where they have everyone having to change temps every year.

Last edited:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I totally agree,

The game has no identity anymore, it's like they've toned down so much that most of the content in the game is piss easy to do. They also need to work on bringing DAoC more of a friendly new and returning game. Having supplies quest out in NF is ludicrous, it's like feeding these poor new players to the dogs. PvE stays on PvE side and RvR stays on RvR side, there shouldn't be this cluster of both because it ruins both parts of the game. I loved the raids back in the day by killing the dragon, Master level 10 (Draco), Pictish campaign, Galladoria raid, Summoners Hall etc and this is what they need to revert too. Let players get decent gear and then send them out to NF. That's what it used to be like and should stay like.

It's funny because I had one person come up to me a few days before I quit the game and he was a returning player and he said that this is the worst experience I've had of playing DAoC. I got ganked 100 times out in NF trying to do the supplies and was thinking what an earth are Broadsword doing, trying to push new and returning players away because it looks to be that way.

If Broadsword want a good game it's bringing a simple model like you said BloodOmen and keeping it like that. If they want to bring out a new event with amazing cool glow or colour then fine but don't up the caps where they have everyone having to change temps every year.

I'm just waiting for Camelot Unchaiend personally, I gave Uthgard a go (for the second time now) and it was nice as always but it gets pretty stale quite quickly. I pray Camelot Unchained delivers, I have faith in @Mark Jacobs and his team though, I've been staying away from the CU forums but I have been following it via Twitch everytime a Live Stream is up and some of the artwork I'm seeing and coding to make things work really boosts the feeling I have for CU being a worthy successor to DAOC.

There has been a few games that have claimed to be a successor to DAOC, Guild Wars 2 (which is a good game to be fair), Elderscrolls Online (which was pretty mediocre IMO), despite GW2 being good the PvP was nowhere near what DAOC was, not even on the same plane of existence.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom